main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.06 - Flight of the Defender - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 28, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the Rebels Visual Guide, that's an anooba:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anooba

also canine - but longer in the ears and shorter in the muzzle:

[​IMG]

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    That may be an Anooba.

I think this season has been pretty weak and far too many characters are being plot protected beyond belief and the same repetitive gags and gimmicks of previous seasons seem worse not better like they don't care, they probably don't but still.

The lothcat's ears when it jumps on the loth-wolf seem like an Ahsoka nod to the audience, as does the color white symbolism, like her lightsabers. We also have the Bendu's eyes being White, I don't if anything means anything or they're just re-using themes and messing with the audience. The whole vanish act disappearing stuff we saw with Bendu doing it to Maul and later Thrawn.

One problem I have with all of this is that Vader and the Inquisitors already TOOK Lothal, so how do these Force beasts or manifestations go undetected. When we last saw the Lothal Jedi Temple it was being corrupted and occupied by the Sith.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

talk about the star wars version of "eeny meeny miny moe."

V-2 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

I got "follow the white rabbit" of Alice in Wonderland vibes from the episode.[face_worried]
    If Ahsoka starts transforming into a loth-wolf or whatever like The Daughter could a griffin, then things might be beyond salvaging in neo-canon. Still with Force Ghosts and Yoda, its possible something weird is going on if its not Ahsoka related.

5. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I thought this was a pretty good episode until we got to Lassie the Lothwolf. I did wonder if there might be some connection with the wolf creatures in TLJ which appear in the recent trailer. I know they're different species but they look similar.

Given the fairly serious tone of this two parter, the last sequence with Lassie is like Vader wearing a Hawaiian shirt and board shorts.

V-2 and kalzeth like this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, the LothWolf wasn't really incongruous with the rest of the episode. He showed up several times, appeared suitably mystical, and wasn't really outside of what we usually see in Star Wars.

7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I wonder if Thrawn is taking the whole death prophecy to heart and he's not afraid to die in situations unrelated to the Bendu's cryptic words. Hence the staring down a starfighter with a pistol.

JH24, V-2, Strat Darksider and 2 others like this.
  8. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    They totally wasted BASED, Imperial Ace Valen Rudor.

Vult Skerris has the personality of a cardboard box.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Ok, I loved this episode for a number of reason.

The first, of course, was the appearance and performance of the TIE Defender. I will always have a special place in my heart for that ship, as it was the best fighter you could get in the TIE Fighter Space Combat Simulator, and it earned it's reputation well. Shields. Missles. Hyperdrive. Piloted correctly, the thing was unstoppable, and I'm really glad to see they carried forwarded all it's features into it's introduction in Rebels. It's a beauty to fly and beauty to see in flight.

I admit I had been rather curious why the original plan wasn't to just steal the whole thing instead of just the flight data recorder, but I guess they wanted to raise as little fuss as they could, at least at first.

The Lothcats were adorable without being annoying (at least for me). The Lothwolf is intriguing to me. Of course I remember Dave's sketch indicating that it's not Ahsoka that he posted awhile ago, but no matter who or what it is I'm going to be interested to see where they go with it. My interest was especially peaked after I read that the wolf actually said 'Dume' instead of 'Doom', which is what I thought at first. Where does Kanan fit into this? Hopefully we'll find out.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought there was something special involved when the Loth Cat jumped on the Wolf with its ears shaped in a peculiar way. Montrals anyone?

Of course, there's this too that Mr. Filoni sent out on his birthday

[​IMG]

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Loth-wolf
    Skip to 'appearances'...

Mentions in 3 kids books. [face_dunno] Anyone read these?
    Mentioned in s1e10...
    'Pictured' in s2e18...
    Actually appears, with magical powers and ability to speak, in s4e6.
    Due to appear in s4e7.

Not exactly foreshadowed at all, but not entirely contrived either. Still feels very contrived and convenient though. And it feels very out of place in Star Wars IMO. The most Disneyfied thing in the show since Aresko and Grint, too.

IDK it feels like they introduced Tom Baker's NeverEnding Story character as a plot convenience, wasted the opportunity, and now need to provide a cheap alternative replacement. We'll see where it goes but I'm uncomfortable with the journey so far.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We see a depiction of a Loth-wolf being ridden, in art in Thrawn's collection in Season 3, too.

Jedi Knight Fett and V-2 like this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Hera calls for Spectre 6, Ezra answers, and then says Phoenix 6 out at the end of the conversation. Is this a mistake or does Ezra go by both Spectre and Phoenix 6 since joining the team on Yavin?

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Look as long as the wolves don’t magically save Lothal I will wait a bit longer

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Ah yeah. Suuuuuper Disneyfied.

MandoArtist and Jamie1001 like this.
  16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Disney films and shows have had far more gruesome deaths than that, if you were trying to make a point.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not as good as the last episode but not bad either.

“We’ve been out here for hours, and all we’ve seen is these stinkin’ Loth-cats.” Love ya Zeb. But I like Loth-cats. Especially when they distract stormtroopers.

Thrawn and Pryce’s arrival gave the episode a nice “Oh hell” moment, especially with Sabine on the ship, but nice to see Thrawn showing Hera some respect.

“If Captain Syndulla were piloting the ship, our fighters would not have survived this long.”

That crash-land with Ezra and Sabine was very...cartoonish. But that’s pretty much every crash landing in Star Wars I guess. “Another happy landing.” “Don’t worry, we’re still flying half a ship.”

And OK, what the hell was that wolf and why did Sabine pass out like a Victorian woman in corsets?

7/10

Snafu55 and V-2 like this.
  18. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Not bad but I don’t like the wolves. At least the lothcats are different from anything on earth. I know Filoni like wolves but he should have made them a bit different. Hoping they have a real purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Do we require gruesome deaths, in Star Wars?

20. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Ask Owen and Beru, Luke's tauntaun, Grievous, Dooku....

Perhaps a better question might be 'do we require a giant magic talking wolf in Star Wars'?

kalzeth and Snafu55 like this.
  21. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    We should ask Aresko and Grint too then, as well as Seventh Sister, or the Mandalorians who got vaporised.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, the wolf told her to "sleep".

theraphos likes this.
  23. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    This episode was pretty trippy ... here's my recap!

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s not Mortis level Trippy.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Sure. I have no issues with deaths in Star Wars or Disney. I never claimed that having brutal deaths negated the idea of Rebels being Disneyfied though, I think that was you. It's not a valid point - Disney has brutality and darkness in their stories just like every other fairy tale pedlar. Aresko and Grint represented Disneyfication by being a Disney stereotype - a bungling duo of moustache twirling villains (one stocky one slender). They would not be the first odd couple villain duo to meet a sticky end in a Disney franchise either.

I could quite easily forgive Tom Baker's character in the last season because it seemed to vaguely fit within the realm of '80s ILM/Henson family fantasy movies. It was a stretch, and obviously tacked on, but it just about kind of worked. I'm not sure about this wolf thing yet. Seems badly misplaced, even more contrived than the Bendu, and lacking the foundation in Star Wars lore that the Bendu had.

...If it turns out that the wolf is Bendu, or just some kind of apparition stemming from some sort of force ghost or something, IDK, maybe that could make the situation better? I don't know how SW walks back from this kind of thing.