main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels Characters are like the ones from Firefly. Who do they remind you of?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Zeb trolling Ezra, "Come on kid do something." just cracks me up for some reason. They really are dead ringers for Jayne and Simon on Firefly.

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Is it strange that I feel like Sabine is both Jayne and Kaylee? And for that matter, so is Chopper. Kanan is Mal and River, and Hera is Wash, Inara, and Zoe. Zeb is just Jayne.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Honestly this piece of fanart sums up what I think of the Ghost's Crew...

[​IMG]

Firefly combined with Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers

-Kanan reminds me alot of Brooklyn from Gargoyles but he also seems like a toned down Disney version of Mal which would be Chip.
    -Ezra feels like Simon who is Dale
    -Hera is a combination of Zoe, Inara, and Wash which is Gadget who happens to be shipped with Chip most often.
    -Zeb is Jayne but I think has a little bit of Book which makes him Monterey Jack. Punching Storm troopers is his cheese. In Rescue Rangers Monty is Dale's buddy. Zeb does seem more Ezra's buddy than Jayne is Simon's. But it is similar.
    -Chopper is kind of like Kaylee and basically the Zipper of the group.
    -Sabine is a sixth ranger. Like the evil version of Gadget from the Kaboom! comics. I'd actually say she is more like River in the sense that she is a wild card. Sabine seems to be the most original character idea out of the bunch and doesn't remind me as much of anyone. Perhaps because I've started seeing her straight up as one of my favorite character tropes which I don't consider a bad thing. She's the blood knight which is an argument that could be made for River.

And this is how threads die... x,x;

Han Drolo likes this.
  4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    ...with thunderous applause.

(Sorry, I just had to finish the quote. :p )

Iron_lord, Vthuil, Cevan and 2 others like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually think Firefly isn't really that good a comparison for Rebels. I mean, yeah, obviously, they've got the "snarky bunch of scrappy misfits on the run from a totalitarian government" thing in common, but whereas the Firefly cast were mostly just trying to make a (dis)honest living, the Rebels cast are, well, actively rebelling, and I think the difference is actually pretty significant in practice.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    We're comparing the characters rather themselves. The characters are similar with a Disneyfied Rescue Rangers side in my opinion. Ofcourse this is a group trying to do good who aren't trying to make a dishonest living although there are still similarities in how goals are accomplished. I'm sure that from the Empire's point of view and perhaps the public looking through that filter the Ghost's Crew are a bunch of terrorists.

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think it's just a matter of Disneyfication. They easily could have gone with a "Han Solo" type story where the Ghost crew start out self-interested and gradually develop into the eponymous "rebels" - that is sort of Kanan's arc in AND.
    And the show has already nodded to the notion that not everything the protagonists do is morally impeachable with the whole arms smuggling issue.
    So I do think there's a real difference in the dynamic that, while it can be passed over when making jokes about Zeb getting a silly hat and the like, is relevant to more serious analysis.

8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I can see some Inara and Zoe qualities in Hera for sure. And Kanan kinda reminds me of Mal. I'm not to sure about Ezra though.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I feel like this discussion is derailing the clips thread and it comes up alot so moved it to its own thread. I think Firefly is a valid comparison when talking about what or who may have served as inspiration for the characters. The dynamic between the cast members on the Ghost themselve is what drives the comparison more than what they do. I stand by Zeb and Ezra remind me of Jayne and Simon when they are interacting. Yes we can make the argument everyone is an OT clone but non of the characters come off as such shallow creations from the pilot episodes. But the crew of the Ghost also very much reminds me of the Rescue Rangers with the character dynamics, their relations of one another, and their personalities.

And then Kanan just makes me think of this. Greg Weisman may have left us with an homage to his other creation. Kanan's personality is just like Brooklyn's particularly after taking command of the Manhattan Clan during the avalon world tour.

[​IMG]

10. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Kanan = Mal

Hera = Zoe/Inara/Wash hybrid

Zeb = Jayne/Book hybrid

Sabine = River/Kaylee hybrid

Ezra = Simon

Jus my 2 cents.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kanan is Mal. Hera is Zoe. Sabine is Kaylee. Zeb is Jayne. Not sure about Ezra.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The relationship between the members of the Ghost probably looks something like what Firefly was heading towards. I imagine that if Firefly had gotten a few more seasons the crew would have resembled a family in the way the Ghost crew does.

And when it comes to comparisons between characters, Hera really doesn't line up with anyone on Firefly. She is, by a wide margin, the wisest character on either show.

(Also, my only experience with Firefly was binge watching it, so I probably missed a ton of stuff. And I haven't seen Serenity.)

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What little we've seen of Vizago reminds me of Badger.

Ezra doesn't actually really line up with anyone. Depending how much of a con man and a thief he is, he could actually bear more in common with YoSaffBridge than anyone else.

Han Drolo and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Ezra is totally a male River, not as in personality, but in abilities.. a kid who has more power than he/she understands.

Iron_lord and Han Drolo like this.
  15. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Yea, I like that.

Sabine matches up well with Kaylee because she's so skilled at what she does, and treats it more than just "work". Engineering is spiritual to Kaylee, demolitions is an art to Sabine.

16. ayures

ayures Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Kallus is the operative from Serenity.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's a good point.

And it would be totally creepy if the Empire found a Force-sensitive kid like Ezra, if not Ezra himself, and ****ed with his brain in order to "study" it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Their roles are similar, but their characters are drastically different. The operative was much more an "artist" of his craft, while Kallus is more a typical soldier who just happened to get promoted into power. I really can't stand Kallus as a character, so bland, boring, and insulting.

19. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Dude , honestly the character hasn't done much to warrant such contempt from you , so whats your beef?

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, I can sort of understand bristling at the comparison. The Operative was a very interesting villain, but Kallus stands out from other Imperials on the show mostly just by being competent.

21. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    He helped commit genocide on Zeb's people and enjoyed it. I think he's far beyond competent. He'll be a good villain with time. He's already doing a good job. If Ezra hadn't stepped in, he would have killed Zeb.