main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels.. does it get better?..

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Snokers, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    There's a difference between liking both series, and absolutely hating on TCW for reasons I'm still trying to understand. I like TCW more than Rebels, but I'm giving Rebels a chance to impress me. IMO, it's got big shoes to fill. To that end, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Kentoa:
    It's just people being spiteful towards it because Clone Wars got cancelled. It's always the same 7 people hating on it anyways.

I assume you're referring to people who hate TCW. It sure is far and few between. On the other side of the coin, I don't hate Rebels. I'll argue reasons as to why I feel it's inferior to TCW in more ways than one, but I'm not going to hate on it. I'm still looking forward to the upcoming season nonetheless.

2. JJLong

JJLong Jedi Knight

Feb 21, 2013
    I thought Rebels was pretty good to begin with. Spark of Rebellion was a good start and got me interested to watch the whole season. I can see why some might get deterred by a few of the next five episodes. "Fighter Flight" and "Out of Darkness" in particular stick out in my mind as low notes to the beginning of Season 1, essentially episodes where it feels like the story is running in place.

I agree with what some said, I think the season picks up with Empire Day and keeps gaining momentum through the end of the season and into Siege of Lothal. Idiot's Array is really the only one that feels out of place later on in the season.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well Idiot's Array was to essentially reintroduce franchise favorite Lando into the picture.

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Personally I do not think Rebels and TCW are really all that comparable beyond the technical level. It is like comparing Scrubs and ER. Two shows about doctors and hospitals, but completely different feel.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I don't really pay attention to the technical levels all that much. TCW carried the same CGI graphics from the feature film onto the series. Rebels was completely different. I just care about the stories. Personally, I'm watching it for the TCW carryovers; especially you-know-who.

6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The Clone Wars had a lot of variation in tone from arc to arc (a criticism by some). So Rebels feels like an extra long Clone Wars arc. But with less going on visually, i.e. simpler set pieces with less 3D models and less variety in action scenes. And more prolonged character moments.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

That's a product of what someone suggested as "tighter storylines". As I mentioned, TCW had a plethora of individual stories to tell in between the time-frame of AOOC and ROTS; and they did so. It wasn't focused on one, two, or even three main characters in each episode. In contrast, I'd be incredibly surprised if an entire Rebels episode goes by without seeing Kanan, Ezra, Hera, Zeb, and/or Sabine.

8. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Personally I think they earlier episodes after Spark are downright awful. But I stuck it out and I think it greatly improved with the finale and what we've seen of season 2. I still find the main characters rather uninteresting though and I hope Ezra gets speared by Vader in the future.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah.

Ezra will get squashed by a puffer pig after Chopper frightens it.

...on purpose.

10. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
  11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The series is worth watching for Kanan alone and maybe Hera

12. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    This show had me hooked from the start and personally I like it better than TCW. The only episode I didn't like was fighter flight, but it was still an important episode and it tied into the season 1 finale. I love the OT era and I think Rebels take the best stuff from the TCW and mixes it up with the OT. Kanan is by far my favorite character on the show and I really like his relationship with Ezra and the rest of the crew. The show is definitely worth watching in my opinion.

Kentoa likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Rebels still, unfortunately, is nowhere close to TCW to me.

14. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I really haven't read this thread, but for my two cents, the first season was..."ok". I was fairly underwhelmed by it. I think the problem was we had already gone through TCW's growing pains. When that show began it was kinda "eh" as well, but in a couple seasons it came to a place that was pretty satisfying.

Now that TCW had gotten pretty good, here comes Rebels and we're back to square one with cute characters mucking around and accomplishing little in episode after episode.

I'm willing to give Rebels as much a chance as TCW. I don't think Rebels will ever reach the level of sophistication that TCW eventually had,but time will tell...

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I can't speak for anyone else but I just don't think Rebels is a good show. My main problem was being forced to follow new characters who, after a season, I still don't care too much about. I find Chopper funny, and Kanan and Hera are both OK, but other than that these new characters just haven't done it for me. I think less is more in regards to the Ghost crew.

Just my 2 cents.

Darth_Corvus and fett 4 like this.
  16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe you've already gotten there by this point, but I would also suggest getting to Rise of the Old Masters before making an ultimate decision. That's decent advice for anyone thinking of jumping into the show, IMO.

I think all you really need to say is... B.J. Hughes.

17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I agree. I rather the show just focus on Kanan and Hera. They're pretty much Kyle Katran and Jan Ors, anyway.

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm a big fan. My 13-year-old daughter identified with Sabine right away. I think overall the quality has been good, with just a few misses in there. It definitely picks up after Empire Day, and Siege of Lothal was top notch, IMO. I'm excited to see Season 2 for sure. I was a TCW fan, but I think I may actually like Rebels more by the end of things.

19. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Rebels gets indifferenter.

Cycles through villains way too fast. Then it gets better at the season finale. The ratings for the Season 2 premiere however imply the numbers will remain indifferenter.

20. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Loved the premise of Rebels, but pulling in VIPs like Tarkin and Vader this soon was a huge mistake. I got the impression it was Firefly in the Star Wars universe... But it can't decide if it's going for an epic story or a more intimate one.

TheOneX_Eleazar and SilentGuy66 like this.
  21. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Season 2 premiere was very very good indeed.

I do see the point about having major Imperial figures brought in too soon or too often is a mistake. True that. We certainly can't have Vader defeated all the time! At the same time, shouldn't they recognize Vader immediately? He is meant to be officially the Emperor's right hand man, the second in command of the entire Galactic Empire and a public figure is he not?!

I think the music has been superb in Rebels and some of the stories (especially the more serious ones) have been very good. I guess the graphics will reach better levels when they have a bigger budget. You can see even TCW improved over time in that respect.

I would like to see Jedi survivors being encountered, (and maybe dying in last stands) or some hint of a connection to the future Rebel Alliance leaders, etc. It would also be nice to move away from purely Lothal and actually have some crack regiment of Stormtroopers who are a match for them and are deadly. In addition, we need to see much larger Imperial fleets.

I like the idea of having Kanan and Hera as a pilot is also great. Is it me or is Sabine hot? I like her role too, though it would be nice to see more background on all of them, rather than just Ezra.

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Ezra was not needed in the first place and I find it ridiculous that there is still a mentality that kids need a spectator surrogate in order to enjoy a series. Besides, I was hoping Rebels would be something in the vein of Star Wars Band of Brothers earlier on but that, admittedly, is wishful thinking at its finest. Especially after I heard all the news.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Dinos4Ever like this.
  23. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Seasons 1 and 2 were quite similar- Season 2 was bit better maybe because there were more places and things than just Lothal- but then again there was nice atmosphere in season 1 with smaller places and they centered more on characters. Well I would say that the show is getting better (especially after seeing the trailer for next season) but hard to say yet.

24. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah and it doesn't help that the rest include "teenage con artist' and "graffity artists mandalorian". Well Ahsoka grew on me over the years so there can be miracles. but it's best to just jump to episodes with major lore stuff (like the season 2 finale) and skip the rest.
    Filoni put Malachor and now Thrawn back in canon so I won't complain much.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya Sabine really just doesn't seem like she fits in Star Wars