main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels Ratings

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Oct 22, 2014.

1. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    It would be wise for Disney to air a commercial or trailer for Rebels before Episode VII.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

It would be if there smart.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What, on the silver screen? o_O

Thought so if you look at my other post, otherwise it would be too steep a drop.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I have no seen anything else posted unless I missed it, regardless the 18-49 demo is pretty important and for it to be that low is a large chunk of fans - and I posted this before the Rebels Season 2 Premiere did not fair well either nor last seasons Finale:

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Rebels

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, the show is not doing so well. Lets hope Disney will quickly wrap it up and give us something new, best not under Filoni's control but rather a new person.

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    A series not doing well doesn't mean we would get another series..... And looking at only premier numbers neglects looking at how the show averages among other shows on the network it is on for its other episodes. I don't think that the 18 to 49 demo is the target audience for either the show or network. Like I have said before, when other shows on the network are pulling in worse numbers than Rebels I think that Rebels has a fair chance of being safe for awhile.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    These are bad numbers compared to CN but for XD it's about 100k more then there shows get most of the time.

AmidalaLover and thatotherjedi like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    As far as the 18-49 demo yes it is an important number for adult programming. But Rebels nor TCW is/was adult programming.

The best you can do is compare Rebels numbers to other shows on the same channel. And when you do that you will see that the show is doing quite well. Continuing to try to compare Rebels to what TCW got is pointless as TCW would of had much lower numbers on XD as well.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Like I already said, it also depends on how expensive a show is. Rebels with its advanced 3D animation doesn't seem like it is cheap compared to other shows on XD. Numbers must justify the investment made. I don't think that's the case. There were even some rumblings about TCW not being profitable in the later seasons and TCW had far better ratings than Rebels. Far better.

10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Nah, the crew is working on a tight budget for Rebels especially compared to TCW. They are using efficiencies from their years of experience on TCW to make Rebels look way better than it would otherwise with a different crew. They have been up front about this and I don't think they'd be advertising "we are a cheap show" unless it was the truth.

There is no way we can make a statement on whether the show is a financial success for LF considering all the different ways you can measure that besides ratings: merchandise, brand awareness especially amongst kids, continued advancements in animation for the company, and as a marketing tool for the movies themselves. We don't have enough data in all of these areas to make that call. Oh, and I didn't mention another one... keeping Dave Filoni around as a Star Wars creator. They could have let him walk after TCW but they had the foresight to keep him around to keep creating great Star Wars entertainment, and having him on Rebels will reap rewards tenfold on continued stories down the road.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    TCW was extremely ambitious and expensive. Rebels is maybe slightly less so, but it's definitely still in the expensive category imo. No way this show is cheap.

We can only make guesses here, sure. It's all speculative.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Sorry but your arguments just aren't adding up here Darth Pevra. Shows that are struggling don't see an increase in episodes per season. If they weren't satisfied with the numbers they were getting for thirteen episodes they definitely wouldn't almost double that episode count. Even if that was what they originally were wanting to do they would not have done it if they were upset with the ratings to the point they would cancel the show because of it.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Eh, I don't agree with that logic.There are numerous reasons to give the show another chance after first season was rushed out.

Maybe we should agree to disagree.

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yes we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think you are looking at it from a business standpoint though and how networks handle tv shows.

15. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Uh... :confused:
    You don't increase the order in episodes unless you are pleased with what you are getting. Similarly, you don't order more of something unless you are happy with the product being provided.
    Perhaps that is best. The continual posting of nothing but premier numbers are only part of the evidence towards a discussion of ratings and is inconclusive in determining the entire picture, and all other factors in determining whether or not a show should continue on the network.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I would say the thing that potentially could keep this show from continuing isn't the ratings. The thing that would most likely keep this show from continuing would be the ST and Disney's desire to start shows up in the post ROTJ time period. After all I think we can all agree that they didn't pay 4 billion dollars to tell how the Rebel Alliance came together. They paid 4 billion dollars to tell us what happend to Luke, Leia, and Han after Ep. VI and the completely blank slate there is after Ep. VI

jabberwalkie likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I can think of several reasons, one of them being that Iger may believe in Filoni's ability to make the show successful.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    While I agree, I think that is a completely different topic of discussion and Rogue One is still over a year out as well. Until that drops and it effectively rounds out major events prior to ANH, I don't see Rebels going anywhere. Even then, I don't see Rebels going anywhere until the formation of the Alliance is cemented into canon. Once that happens, I think the shows endgame (whatever that is) will follow in short order.

Change Iger with Kathleen Kennedy, but successful as a definable metric is kind of subjective since as we have been discussing what Lucasfilm may define as successful could be different from what you or I define it as.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Does make you wonder if Filoni and crew knew all along that a movie like Rogue One was coming and planned the show out accordingly. Or if they initially had a different path in mind for this show and had to rewrite a bunch of stuff after news of the movie broke.

20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think that they had planned everything up to ANH, but with Rogue One being announced and probably having been discussed in Story Group meetings with the writers and directors they probably had to adjust the later story because of it. How much is anyone's guess though. If anyone ever gets a chance to ask at a panel how Rogue One effected the story, I think it would be interesting to see Filoni's response.

21. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The ratings are not abysmal, like some are proclaiming. Again, this is Disney XD, none of their shows garner major ratings. And the ratings for DC are really good, considering a lot of the shows they air on there garner that many viewers, too. And it's not as if Rebels has a scheduled time they air it on DC, they announce it pretty much out of the blue like with SoL, so the ratings it gets are even better with these factors. And critically, the show does very well among many review sites. The show isn't in any danger of being canceled. If that were the case Disney would've canceled all those Marvel shows they air on XD.

And why the Filoni hate? I think he's awesome, very humble, and loves Star Wars. He appreciates it all, all six films, the books, comics, games. He's aware of it and even brings it into the show. Unlike most of the new creators coming in to Star Wars who are ignorant to the already established world building that has occurred.

Darth Apostatis likes this.
  22. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I do wonder if the time slot damages it. TCW was aired Friday nights and Saturday morning.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Interesting to note is that the official SW youtube channel is at about 950,000 subscribers and the more subscribers the more people watching rebels/seeing it in there video feeds.

24. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    The question, to me, boils down to how much LucasFilm and Disney value online viewings. I am guessing that if the majority of viewers is edging towards late teens/young adults/30's adults like is being suggested in this thread, that demographic wouldn't be watching Disney XD at 9:30 but watching it on their own time online. So, I suppose it is possible we aren't seeing those numbers in the ratings.

Still, I am concerned at the lack of attention the show is garnering on this site, if we are to use the TV boards as a monitor of hardcore Star Wars interest. As someone who enjoys the show greatly, I hope that Disney continues to see the relevance in maintaining it.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Most hardcore fans like the show at least people who rate it.

Because the average is mostly in the 7s/8s