main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so with all the recent news about the new SW TV show Rebels, which is starting soon (summer 2014), we've had a lot of discussions here related to it... mostly regarding the announced characters, whether they may tie into the ST storylines, etc.

The other thing going on now in the SW TV world is the Bonus Content ("Lost Missions") of The Clone Wars. This is 13 episodes from what would have been season 6, and it will be available on March 7th on Netflix (and other ways in other markets, some announced already, some not yet).

While some of the existing conversations happening recently about Rebels and TCW are relevant where they are, such as the "Who's the Baddie?" thread, it could easily get off topic there and especially in other threads.

This thread is for discussion of the characters, themes, etc. from these two shows as it pertains to Episode 7 and the Sequel Trilogy. Since this is the E7 and new films forum, discussion about these shows here needs to focus on how we think they may tie into the new films. Please use this thread going forward for these discussions. Also, if you want to discuss these shows in and of themselves, please visit the SW TV forums. Thanks.

jedi9617, TK327, Immortiss and 6 others like this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Calling it now, grenade slingsots will be in both Rebels and VII. Ezra is gonna set a trend. :p

Jar Jar will accidently blow himself up with one [face_clown]... but his loss will be a nessisary loss.

Darth_Pevra, TKT and Dra--- like this.
  3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Let's get the ball rolling for potential TCW tie-ins (from the Yoda arc in the Lost Missions, reposted from SWTV board):

I want to see this planet, which according to the German synopsis is the so-called "homeworld of the Force", more likely where the Force was first utilized:
    [​IMG]

Unless Dagobah isn't as homogeneous as it appears, a swamp planet, this is something different altogether. I like the nifty floating platforms. Some strange Pandora (from Avatar)-like world.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to see these guys in the ST, especially if they are Whills. They can teach the protagonists some of the most mysterious aspects of the Force. I wonder what the masks they wear represent? Looks like: puzzlement, sadness, joy, and frustration/anger.

I just love the supernatural tone of the Yoda arc, and would really enjoy it if some parts of it show up in the ST.

mihaitzateo, d. Jones, Cevan and 15 others like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Mor... Mori... Ah forget it I just can't call it that... Korriban and Yoda's visit there is what I'm most looking forward to about these episodes. I really think they may get into how a Sith can survive death which I think could have an impact on the ST. In fact I think this arc might explore both sides attempt to achieve immortality and how they go about it in very different ways.

Jedirush2112, Dak Oolron, TKT and 6 others like this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Could this be an indication that there are more than two sides of the Force?

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I suppose this is a good thread for my general argument that since these shows are canon, we'd better get used to them impacting the Saga (and solo SW films), especially moving forward with Rebels.

For example, TCW is affecting the metaphysics of the Saga. It appears that Sith Specters and something like the Whills (sages?) are now canon. That means they are now possibilities in the ST. The same thing goes with Qui-Gon's ability to affect Yoda physically. Since this is canon now, it might be something we see (a Jedi ghost affecting physical events) in the ST or solo films.

Also, what we knew about the OT is now open for revision. Since Rebels begins 5 years before ANH, that means the writers can add new elements to the OT period. For example, we didn't know in the OT there were Inquisitors (or one Inquisitor) hunting Jedi and Force sensitives down while Vader and Sidious focused on whatever they were interested in. This is a big deal because the OT also never tells us that the Inquisitors were destroyed, so they may play a role in the ST, perhaps rebooting the Empire or the Sith Order. We also know there were some Jedi (at least Kanan) still alive prior to Luke in ANH. Who else might still be alive? If Ezra becomes a Jedi, he might make it into the ST.

Moriband is now canon too, so it might be an element in the ST.

What else might these shows, particularly Rebels, add to what we know? It's the perfect opportunity for the writers to add new content that will open up the world of the ST.

DL44Jo, Dameron, Hernalt and 10 others like this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you sum it up nicely Dra---

Very eager to see what happens with Yoda on the Sith home world (as well as the force planet). I think this may have large connotations for the ST. Equally - I suspect you're correct when you allude to a role the inquisitor may have in the new films (considering who they used Grievous in the original Clone Wars cartoon).

TheManFromMortis and Dra--- like this.
  8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    What I see in the Netflix TWC trailer that I absolutely hate is that Yoda tells the council about his contact with Qui-Gon?

Please tell me I'm wrong.... PLEASE!!!!!!

Ryus and T-R- like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Retcons! Retcons everywhere!

Dak Oolron and Bullhead CIty like this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He does......and then Obi-Wan still seems surprised in RotS when Yoda mentions it.o_O

Just another example of TCW contradicting the movies, and another reason I'm not a big fan. I hope Rebels is better.

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    We know REBELS begins on a newly introduced Outer Rim Planet called Lothal, a farming community. We also know Sienar Fleet Systems has developed a weapons production manufactory for the First Galactic Empire on Lothal. This is exactly what I would expect to see and hope we get from REBELS. The OT was such a personal story, we were dropped in the middle of this Universe of which we had little understanding. The characters, names and places were exotic, yet somehow familiar. Part of the charm and ingenuity of Lucas' vision was getting us to ask questions about the periphery of the story. I hope the writers continue to flush out the larger political and economic story that we missed in the OT. How was the alliance formed? Who contributed to the liquidity of the Alliance? When Leia warned Jabba, "We have powerful friends", was she bluffing or were there particular individuals in mind? What about the Banking Clans, Techno-Union, Kuat Drive Yards, Commerce, Mining and Transportation Guilds and the Trade Federation? Will we see a Corporate Sector Authority? How and to what degree did these institutions survive Anakin's purge on Mustafar. What will come of them in the ST?

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree, just as long as they don't change what we saw in the movies the way TCW did.

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yoda says he's been contacted, but not by whom.

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    After watching all the character features, I'm definitely down for Rebels (when they hit Netflix). Ill probably check out TCW season 6, but I doubt I'll watch the whole series.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He doesn't use Qui-Gon's name in the trailer. He only says a voice from beyond, when talking to the council. It's not a retcon yet.

Cevan, Dra---, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    For all we know the entire arc could be a Force trip inside Yoda's head, and until he manages to grapple and come to terms with everything (I.E., the end of RotS) he keeps it all to himself.

17. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, my particular thought on this matter remains the same. Keep TCW and Rebels on one side, movies on the other. Do not mix them. Do not transfer the characters or storylines from these animated series into a nine part saga. All those fan speculations about Plagueis, Inquisitor or some other TCW or Rebels characters, planets or themes may be pretty alluring, but I don't think that Lucas or Ep 7 screenwriters would have implemented in the movie anything we'll be seeing one and one and a half year before in some animated series. That would be counterproductive to their main product which is Ep 7 and the sequels themselves.
    Also, TCW and Rebels occur for decades before the ST. Making them affect on the ST is quite far-fetched, changing by the movies established cannon through them even more.
    Now, if there were some post-ROTJ animated series, that would've been completely different matter. [face_coffee]

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    According to Leland, and Pablo, they're equal to the movies, and take place in the same universe. the levels of canon are gone.

19. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Could the Balrog Sith be the "master" villain of the ST? Maybe the Balrog Sith corrupted the Sith species and the original Dark Jedi (or Darth Ruin if they go with Ruin being the very first Sith) and now that the Sith have been wiped out, the Balrog Sith will have to take action itself.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah. Star Wars finally goes back to being mystical. Just the way I like it. If Moribund is explained to be a different planet from Korriban I will love this arc. i know it just by looking at those masks.

Now THAT is an interesting idea. It makes sense too. We have the Jedi who block all emotions and the Sith that drown themselves in negative emotions. That leaves us with two more possible sides.

This would be a valid opinion in saaay Final Fantasy but this is the same galaxy and there is less than a hundred years between the beginning of the clone wars and the end of the ST. But if you don't want people there are still concepts and planets to re-use.

I hope not. It would make the Sith less awesome. Maybe it's a sithspawn. Or a vision. Or a personification of the dark side like the son. Or a sith specter(Uncle Vitiate not as dead as Plagueis believed).

Dra--- and Circular Logic like this.
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Except that he only mentions a voice from beyond, which could surprise anyone, even Obi-Wan. He does not mention Qui-Gon by name.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. And from the German episode descriptions, the council and Obi-Wan think Yoda is losing it. So not a contradiction.

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    We saw 2 seconds of the episode in the trailer, so we don't know if he says Jinn or not. Hard to believe he would tell the council without naming who's voice he heard.

24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Either way, they believe he's gone crazy.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and yet Kenobi is then completely on board at the end of Sith. doesn't make sense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.