main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    And people should stop playing White Wedding at their wedding.

hippie1kenobi, Immortiss and TheBBP like this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If the bride's pregnant, I say go for it!

Dra---, Immortiss and LunarMoth like this.
  3. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    And people should stop playing White Wedding at their wedding.

Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I admit, the music does call attention to itself sometimes with a cue that sounds familiar used in a different way (even Zeb's Indy/ Basket Chase style cue distracts me because it's tied so closely to something else).

I think when it's its own thing, but in the style of Williams (Ezra's theme, the arrival on that Droids in Distress planet) it fares much better.

The force theme has been very well deployed though.

Anyway, it's not so distracting as to ruin anything an I think to call it "insulting" is a tad melodramatic.

And it's not as if the films haven't recycled cues or not deployed them to their best effect either.

ROTJ recycles a fair chunk of ANH cues (although quite fairly I think). ROTS rips off the Pod Race for the Invisible Hand crash, although it's a brilliant piece and works very well there. The attempted misdirection of the Federation March over the Clones in AOTC is odd, and don't get me started on the lack of the Imperial March during Vader's march on the Jedi Temple. That was a no brainer, but instead we get the AOTC arena music - which is a great theme, just not the right one for that moment.

So, let's just say, SW has previous in not always recycling in the best way. The good thing is, at least the music is quality even if it could be deployed better.

5. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    "So, let's just say, SW has previous in not always recycling in the best way. The good thing is, at least the music is quality even if it could be deployed better"

You do it your way and John Williams does it his way.....worked out pretty good for John.

But maybe he visits these boards to see where he went wrong

6. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    A lot of the examples Satipo cites were not John Williams' choice. ROTJ's Death Star II battle featured some tracked in music from Star Wars, and large chunks of the prequels featured tracked in music from The Phantom Menace.

He's not calling John Williams' decision-making into question here.

Vohnkar, Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  7. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    it was a joke...relax;)

8. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I wasn't stressed

Satipo likes this.
  9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not stressed either. We all win.

All this chat of Williams just reminded me we're getting new Williams SW themes. Even if the films blow (they won't), we get new Williams. Awesome.

10. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Not that this applies specifically to the music use being debated here, but one thing we need to remember about Rebels is that, yes, its Star Wars, and yes, it's canon, but it is also a cartoon series aimed more towards a younger audience on a Disney network. I'm sure they would do things in as series like this that they would not do in the film series, or any other canon material that is in a more sophisticated medium.

As far as the music use being "wrong": I would think that they are making a direct effort to created that familiarity to the scoring with this younger audience. Like many things in the SW universe, especially because we are still in the pre-OT timeline, use of this music here will likely shift the meaning of said music when watched in chronological order, much like the PT shifted the narrative of Star Wars from Luke's story to Anakin's story.

Immortiss, Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The reuse of music was a pretty common complaint about the prequels (especially in AOTC). If that criticism can fly, I don't see why people can't apply it to Rebels without accusations that they're unfairly biased or complaining for the sake of complaining.

12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    His new music will be awesome, for sure, but I like when he reuses previous melodies in new ways. Like in Battle of the Heroes (from ep 3), there's a part where there's this low male chorus sorta humming (or "aaahh"ing) the Force Theme melody (or the binary sunset theme, whatever that is called). Gives me goosebumps every time.

at 1:55

jedinightwing likes this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so I watched the new episode of rebels 3 times and tonight I will watch it again on Disney XD for the fourth time. are any of you doing this as well?

Darth Lurker likes this.
  14. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

I quite like that as well, however the choir is only singing/humming some accompanying chords with the instruments (they aren't actually singing/humming the theme), while the instruments are the actual ones playing the Force theme.

15. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    The promo for the added Vader scene has been uploaded!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I wonder where the scene falls. Just after Kallus informs the Inquisitor of Kanan?

18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That would be my guess.

19. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014

P.S there is a preview of next week's episode and you can watch the episode now on Disney XD.com

20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Ooooo. Rise of the Old Masters is up!

21. Fried Mon Calamari

Fried Mon Calamari Jedi Knight

May 4, 2014
    Hey guys, just finished watching "Rise of the Old Masters", and I loved it so much that I figured I'd stop lurking around and finally start posting on here!

Wow, what an incredible episode! I've watched every episode up so far and I think that this one is by far the best, even compared to the movie! It had such a nice blend of comedy, action, and suspense. I got chills a lot throughout the episode because it often felt like the OT without ripping something off straight from the films, it just had that same magical vibe the OT had.

All I've gotta say is that anybody who's having their doubts about Rebels right now should really watch "Rise of the Old Masters", because it's just so good!

Dra--- and Han Drolo like this.
  22. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Rise Of the Old Masters, where have you been all my week? [face_flag]

Be back to spoil everyone later~

Dra--- likes this.
  23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Very good episode! I am now 100% sold on the Inquisitor.

24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    To add, I thought that it was great...:

Kanan nearly earning a hole in his face when Ezra ignited the saber when they were training. It was a great moment. FINALLY we get a glimpse of the pitfalls of a noob holding a saber!

25. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, Rise of the Old Masters was a solid episode. Kanan kicks some serious A, and I can't wait to see more training high jinks with Ezra.

Dra---, jedinightwing and TheBBP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.