main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

Tarkin spoilers ahead!

To add to this, in Tarkin we find out that the Jedi Temple was actually built over top a Sith shrine that was erected there during the Sith's temporary conquer of Coruscant during the Old Republic, which is why the Jedi's foresight and vision was clouded throughout the PT; Sidious was using this Sith shrine that was believed to be dormant to his advantage. Sidious makes the Jedi Temple into the Imperial Palace after RotS, so it's possible that the Sith Shrine, combined with the Sith Master himself residing right on top of it, clouded the surviving Jedi's vision even further, inhibiting any communication with other Jedi/sensing other Jedi throughout the galaxy.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I'd have to say that you'd be crazy to consider that we won't get novels and/or comics or other media to fill the gap of the last 30 years.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I know that but I prefer to see those adventures adapted and not being just novels/comics (it's just my opinion).
    and I said would rather see next Animated Series be either Big 3 or new trio of VII-IX but if we get completely new characters it won't bother me, although it's not my preference.;)

Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  4. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Am I going crazy, or is Rebels on a break already? I don't see a new episode up on Watch Disney XD...

5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    They are on break.

6. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Possible animated Ridley and Boyega characters? I'm sure they'd freak out about it as much as we would. :p

But yea that new rumor is the definition of hype.

starocean90 and TheBBP like this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Considering the amount of screen time that the prequel characters get in TCW, I'd really like a series following the OT characters after ROTJ, although I'd understand if they wanted to push it further into the new era.

8. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

Agreed. I wouldn't mind a new show taking place during the ST era, but at some point I want a show taking place between RotJ and TFA.

Toonimator, Lord Gaos, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

So, that means that
    Luceno kept that aspect of "Enemey Lines" which first established the idea of the Temple being built on a nexus of dark side energy.

If the new animated series does use the OT cast, I can see Hamill playing Luke.

TKT, Cevan and Toonimator like this.
  10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    How. Luke was gone the whole time right?

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the last Luke rumor was that he's been missing for 10 years out of 30.;)

TKT, Cevan and Toonimator like this.
  12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Lol at all the Canon butt hurt in this thread. I never view TCW as the same story as the PT. I view them as the same era, but I have no issues with Filoni. Trying to make Star Wars one big story is dumb and will only lead to butt hurt and heartache. Rebels can do whatever they want and it will never effect my view of the OT story, just like TCW hasnt effected my view of the PT.

13. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    If canon didn't matter we'd all still be discussing the EU's relevance to TFA.

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    The thing is would Disney really make an animated series (where there are no limitations), with random new characters and where you are unlikely to have any Jedi leads (merchandise=$$$):p
    if you do between VI and VII, then based on rumors Luke is your only Jedi.
    if you do between VII and VIII, then it seems like Ridley and Boyega might be the only Jedi characters.

if they did a live action between VII and VIII then I could see them having no Jedi characters, but not animation (just look at Rebels).:p

anyways, just spit balling here.8-}8-}8-}

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    one Jedi makes all the difference. Luke kicking ass is very marketable.

TKT, JediMatteus, Gudenruben2 and 4 others like this.
  16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's what I meant, making the new show on new non movie characters is a wasted opportunity ($$$).:)

17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Ah I didn't get your meaning at first either. Now it's clear. But has anyone suggested that it would be about all new characters?

starocean90 likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    this is the closest thing about the show itself
    Since this is so early, there aren’t a lot of specific details. The new cartoon series will be set during the Sequel Trilogy timeline (Episodes VII and beyond), which will be very familiar to fans by that time. If Rebels does go three or four seasons, the new show would hypothetically start in 2017 or 2018, around the same time we’ll see Star Wars Episode VIII. That means we’ll have at least one, possibly two movies of world building in which to set up a new story and set of characters.

if you make it about non VII-IX characters, then you get into the same problem as SHIELD, which is
    "where are the movie characters???":p

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    If anything, I'd say that points to the characters being from the ST.

starocean90 likes this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I hope so, I've seen people thinking/hoping it's non movie characters so who knows.
    As it's still to early to tell, but it's fun speculating.:)

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. SomeoneSomewhere

Sep 24, 2014
    Honestly, I don't see Rebels characters because that runs into the weird situation where there's one group that hasn't seen Rebels yet or even know it exists, and the other group sitting in the theater with Ezra plush toys only to be disappointed when half of the backstory is either glossed over or retconned because ain't nobody got time for dat. It's sort of why I don't think we're looking at Ahsoka in the ST either; though she would be easier to explain (Vader's apprentice, bam. It would seem like a bit out of left field though). Again, it's all about making VII as accessible as possible to viewers, it would be sort of (Mod edited) if the new teaser was just 88 seconds of a Required Viewing list for the movie.

22. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Stop using that argument! We've never seen Oscar Isaac's character before, or Ridley's, or any of the others besides the OT characters. Same with Rebels (unless you've read A New Dawn). New characters. Existing characters, from Rebels or otherwise, can appear in a new series set after ROTJ and/or during the ST. They'd just be treated as new characters with backstory not everyone might be privy to. We don't know everything about the characters in the existing movies: Ord Mantell, Cato Neimoidia, the gundark thing, why Lando was upset with Han, etc. If people can't handle that some characters in a new series have seasons of backstory they didn't bother to watch, so what? Good writers will make them work even if everyone hasn't seen the old stuff, and will make them work even better for those who HAVE seen it all.

The same argument was used by folks who said the EU had to be ditched because it'd be too tough to explain everything. But a no-EU Episode VII didn't have the universe frozen in carbonite for three decades; audiences won't know why Luke has been missing for a decade, or why Chewie had a bionic hand (if that particular concept art had made it to filming), or why Han doesn't have the Falcon, or whatever. Good writers could've boiled decades of EU down to essentials to bring audiences up to speed just as well as inventing new decades of backstory they need to bring folks up to speed, although the latter would be less chaotic a process due to not having Bantam's craziness to deal with :p

23. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Toonimator

True, a Rebels character could appear in TFA without requiring the audience to be familiar with the show.

However, the presence of said character in the Sequel era does affect the TV show - Episode VII will be releases during the Season 2 Christmas break - and the future of a core character will already be set in stone.

This would remove any element of danger for the character and restrict the directions that the writers could take with that individual.

That lack of restriction is something Filoni has said he enjoys about Rebels.

24. SomeoneSomewhere

Sep 24, 2014
    I mean it worked well enough with the PT and later on within the PT with TCW.

But again what's the meaning of returning to an existing character if they're going to be treated as a new character anyways? It's one thing to reintroduce a character that literally does not exist in canon, it's another thing to treat a character like they never existed in canon. It's just meaningless fanservice at that point, and not even particularly good fanservice at that. Might as well experiment with new characters and scenarios rather than relying on prexisting frameworks.

25. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    ANy reason why rebels would have to end and there couldn't be multiple star wars shows like we have marvel ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.