main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I would love more than 1 animated show, but it doesn't seem like Lucasfilm want more than 1 at a time.;)
    it's kind of ridiculous when Rebels only airs 4 months worth of episodes for S1
    why not make another show and we could get 8 months's worth.:p

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Lucasfilm (and Disney) had the resources to make SEVERAL shows at once if they wanted to. Having two at once, in different eras, could be a lot of fun, and who wouldn't want a solid hour (well, 44 minutes) of new Star Wars every week?

Might also be practical if they were of similar style, as it'd effectively double the models available (more species, more faces, hair, wardrobe, etc with which to customize their characters and diversify the background extras), tho two shows in very different styles would be fun, too

TKT and starocean90 like this.
  3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    it would be cool but if this rumor is true it doesn't seem like they will do 2 shows at the same time, seems like they are waiting for Rebels to be over and then they will proceed with a new show.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    As much as I'd love that, wouldn't it run the risk of going the way of Star Trek? Frequent movies and a TV show may already be pushing the public's appetite for Star Wars, and another TV show might just push it past the point of interest.

DaddlerTheDalek and starocean90 like this.
  5. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think if they would do another show it would be a Live action one not animated.

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    It would be amazing if they finally got around to one of those, but for some reason I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get the ST out of the way first. I know they have plans for a lot more movies, and who knows what form that will take, but that's just what I'm feeling.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    It doesn't have to be on TV, it could always be like the Marvel Netflix deal.=P~

TheBBP and Mystery Roach like this.
  8. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Forget Star Trek.

Think Marvel.

Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H., and coming soon Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, and the Netflix shows.

The only real difference is EVERY Star Wars property is meant to be one continuity, while Marvel is divided between live-action and animation (and I'm not even sure all four cartoons are one shared continuity)

Mystery Roach, Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that the only shared continuity in the Marvelverse is the movies and AoS and AC.

10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, I think Star Wars is more like the Marvel universe than Star Trek. In Star Trek, we typically have one setting as the basis for a show. In Marvel we have multiple heroes or groups. In Star Wars we also can have multiple heroes and groups.

Although, one thing they need to figure out is how to make Jedi as distinct individually as Marvel superheroes. Part of this can come from characterization (no more monolithic Jedi Order of indistinct monks), but another aspect should be related to power.

Jedi should no longer all be represented as doing the exact same thing powerwise. Ok, maybe they all share certain basic powers, but they should also all have something that makes them unique.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... Over saturation is one of the worst things that could happen to SW. We're soon going to be in a position where we have SW films every year or so. Multiple, simultaneous cartoons wouldn't add much at this point.

12. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Again, see my Marvel comparison. They have MULTIPLE films ever year, two live action series, and a bunch of Netflix shows gearing up. They also have separate animated shows. SW has a broad enough history, and an entire galaxy, to play with, in live-action form as well as animation. And if they wanted a cartoon that isn't in-continuity with everything else, a simple "Star Wars Legends" before the property title is all it'd take to denote that it's something else (like "Star Wars Legends: Detours" for a certain comedy show from Seth Green).

They could have shows set in multiple eras, spinning off each other or forging a path into uncharted territory of the new canon.Not every show would need Jedi (I agree about differentiating them more, but not too much like the old EU where the Jedi Academy Trilogy recruits each seemed to have their own superpower; don't turn them into X-Men, and DEFINITELY don't color-code them like the upcoming Transformers: RID show does; there's a fine line between color variety and Skittles; the new TF went the Skittles route). Not every show would need a clash between galactic movements, or be the same animation style, etc. Rebels has shown that a series can work pretty well confined largely to one world, tho most expected something different; depending on the story and the particular conflict, very localized SW shows could easily work great. Netflix's Daredevil won't be bouncing around the world taking down Kingpin's operations overseas; it'll be local. Agent Carter is set, for now, as an 8-episode maxi-series telling one overall story.

There are multiple formats SW shows can take without feeling "oversaturated"; part of Trek's problem was that it was largely the same thing, over and over... DS9 was a good change to the format, but then Voyager was just TOS/TNG with a change in setting and a bit more conflict between the crew, at least in the pitch. Then Enterprise, doing the same thing at a literal slower speed (Warp 5 max), set in the past, but still with the same basic mission as TOS. SW doesn't have to be that rigid in structure.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think you're right that Jedi shouldn't be like mutants, in that each only (usually) has one main power. I wouldn't mind the Jedi sharing the basic abilities we know about, but each also manifesting something unique.

The problem perhaps is that the Jedi are very much power-wise like Phoenix from X-Men. With telekinesis and telepathy, she could do pretty much anything -- the advanced form of telekinesis allows one to not merely push things or jump, but to fly and pull objects apart at the molecular level.

So, in theory, a Jedi, if powerful enough, could do almost anything once they control reality at the molecular or quantum level.

Perhaps Lucas envisioned their powers this way, but for the average Jedi, it never really gets this interesting, and beyond the Force push or toss or jump, it begins to feel repetitive.

So yeah, I would like them to develop something more individual, and perhaps this could be explained as being a result of no longer being a part of a monastic Jedi Order. On their own, a Jedi's powers begin to take on the personality or interests of their owner. Or just approach it like mutants a bit, each Jedi has a natural ability of some kind, whether it be healing, visions, levitating/flying, or, with Luke perhaps, something molecular.

TKT, JediMatteus and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep... but let's come back in 5-10 years time and asses how that operating model is working for them. How many good/great products has the current model produced? That's a rhetorical question as it's largely subjective... but to date (IMHO), the only products worth writing home about would be the original Iron Man movie, The Avengers movie and Captain America: Winter Soldier. The rest of their output is pretty sub par in my opinion. Also, I think Marvel/WB has the advantage that whilst they worked to unify/consolidate their canon, Batman is a completely different brand from Spiderman... as Iron Man is from Superman etc. etc. It make it more flexible from a marketing perspective. Star Wars is, for better or worse, uniquely Star Wars. I think for the good of the SW brand, it’s better not to dilute the market with product because audiences will become bored of it quickly (just as they did with Star Trek). I’d rather have good movies coming out every couple of years, that added to the saga/franchise, rather than a constant conveyer belt of sub par movies/cartoons a la Marvel.

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Double post...

16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    ALL fan service is meaningless.

Things worked out for the Prequels and TCW, because Filoni and company made them work out. What is the point if tying their hands again by showing (years ahead) the destiny if a major character.

One reason is that Rebels is awesome.

Another is that the intention for the show to be on going.

It should also be noted that Simon Kinberg has already put to rest the question of Rebels characters appearing in the Sequels.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    starocean90 Toonimator

"Slow and steady wins the race."

Yes, they have the resources to flood us with content, but have elected to to do things slowly.

The Marvel MCU, comics and animation are all seperate entities.

Disney and Lucasfilm want to make the movies, TV shows, books and comic all one entity.

The continuity needs to be rebuilt, plus logistics need to be worked out - Filoni and his crew have only so many hours in the day - burdening them with a second show at this point will affect the quality.

18. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    In the marvelverse its AOS, AC, and the nefltix shows that are in the MCU. The cartoons are there own universe, and the comics are as well.

TheBBP likes this.
  19. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    How would a second show burden them? It's not like they'd be running it, too. All they'd have to do is make sure Rebels doesn't conflict with the new show, and vice-versa. A simple exchange of information, "the Duros homeworld has this going on; we're using this one concept piece as a new ship" kinda thing. If there are no shared characters, it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    They would be running it - Filoni is the head of Lucasfilm Animation - he would have to build up a second team from scratch.

A different guy in charge? No thanks.

21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It's not like there is only one team's worth of talent in the industry. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of folks who would love to work on a Star Wars project and could do a great job with it. Don't be so limiting.

Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    No doubt. There are plenty of VERY talented individuals out there who could handle Star Wars animation like champions. Even in the fan community...

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Why is it dumb?

I think mainly because "Rebels" has to have an end point and mainly because Lucasfilm has one animation studio working on their shows, whereas Marvel has more than one studio making their cartoons.

Well, let's see, Marvel films have been going strong since 1998 when "Blade" came out. Of those films, only a few bombed outright. The others either performed spectacularly, performed pretty well and performed modestly. And while you only like three of the films produced by the studio itself, the box office returns on the others show that there is no signs of burnout. The fact that the underdog that is "Guardians Of The Galaxy" had legs and went back up to the number one spot, shows that there is a lot of good will towards Marvel and Marvel products in general.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Citing Blade is a stretch. I think Blade is as removed from Marvels current operating model/strategy as Tucker: The Man and his Dream is from Lucasfilms current operating model/strategy. Besides, wasn't Iron Man the first Marvel Studio film (2008)? That's six years... and I'm talking about a sustainable strategy that runs longer than 6-10 years. No doubting that currently, Marvel Studios crop of films are popular, but I don't think it's just me that thinks that many of them are distinctly mediocre (I liked GOTG too).

25. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Another SW show isn't just going to be another SW show. It will be the center of an array of new books and comics as well. All of those products need to coordinated.

Before LFL starts thinking about another show they should expand the Story Group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.