main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

That could be another explanation.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Except, that isn't what Yoda said - he said "When gone am I, last of the Jedi will you be."

In that sentence, he was speaking about when he dies - not when he dies and later, whenever Luke decides to confront Vader.

Yoda seems to be contradictory - however I believe he is telling Luke is that he is a Jedi but that his path is far from complete - that there is a task ahead of him that he must complete in order to be a Jedi Knight (as we now know it to be, the trials, which Padawans must endure to "graduate" - and that like Obi-Wan, Luke's trial is to face a Sith)

Padmé, Vader and Yoda say no such thing - Padmé tell Bibble that Anakin is not a Master, he is a Padawan (she never says he isn't a Jedi), I covered Yoda above and Vader telling Luke that he is no Jedi is a simple taunt and a comment on the "technicalities" of being called a Jedi.

Obi-Wan's dialogue can be viewed as simply showing the audience that it was all long ago, but that he hasn't been in the fight for a long time.

I never said Yoda could sense every Jedi - in fact I said that all Filoni has to do is invoke that fact and Ezra and Kanan surviving in this time period does NOT contradict Yoda's comments. Yoda can simply be unaware of their existence.

However, I do hope that Filoni is going to do better than that because it is pretty lazy - acceptable, but Lazy.

No, because if they knew about other Jedi and deliberately lied to Luke - that isn't a "certain point of view" scenario - it is just an outright lie.

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Not an outright lie, as I explained that if Jedi had quit--not running around lighting their sabers to battle Imperials everywhere--then they would no longer be Jedi from a certain point of view. They gave up that life to survive. Likewise those who hadn't completed their training were also not Jedi, from a certain point of view.

As for Padme, I already quoted her: "Anakin's not a Jedi yet, Counsellor. He's still a Padawan learner." No mention of "Master", she flat out says he's not a Jedi.

Sio Bibble didn't call Anakin a Jedi Master, he called him "Master Jedi", a formal address that would be applied just as well to a Jedi Knight.

Granek, Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  5. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

Disney XD launched in 2009 so yeah, it's way longer than any XD show.

6. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    So did Yoda. From a certain point they may not be the Jedi. Not from the point of view that Yoda's death marks when Luke becomes the last of the Jedi. Also, I don't know if you watch Rebels but if they do last till Return of the Jedi, they'll probably have killed more imperials then the destruction of both Death Stars would account for by then. They aren't doing nothng.

7. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

We agree on most things here, but "from a certain point of view" is just Obi-Wan and Yoda justifying their lies to Luke. He was lied to in order to spark the adventure in his heart, he was intentionally mislead and/or not told (read: lie) the truth about his father and sister. They schemed their way into getting him to train to become a Jedi and face Vader. But yes, I do agree that there is a very good chance that Kanan and Ezra could survive because they are not technically Jedi and Yoda's methods of not telling the full truth will be what allows him to tell Luke that he is the last of the Jedi.

Dra--- and Toonimator like this.
  8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Kanan and Ezra aren't the "Jedi doing nothing" I mentioned. Nor are Yoda and Obi-Wan, as those two had a plan centered around the twins. Kanan and Ezra, right now, fall into the "not a Jedi yet" category, as Ezra just began his training and Kanan never finished his, being on the run for the better part of 15 years after only briefly being apprenticed to Depa Billaba. They may take out many Imp troops regularly, but the Death Stars would be crewed by hundreds of thousands at a minimum, so... No.

TheBBP likes this.
  9. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Right now is not what we are talking about. If Rebels currently takes place 5 years before A New Hope, there's no reason for Yoda to qualify his words yet. If Rebels has enough seasons to make it all the way to Return of the Jedi, all in which Kanan receives character development and is the only source of lightsabre action and Jedi wisdom available to writers having the churn out episode after episode of Star Wars stuff, that guy, still not looking at all like a Jedi, that's what we are talking about. If they don't kill Kanan, the Jedi mentor character, off before then even if the show is allowed to go on that is.

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  11. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    pathway to jedi was interesting, more a character development than story but I am sure more confused when it comes to jedi matters and yoda in latest episode.
    well theres more than 1 "cave" it appears.
    i see they wont show a construction of a saber in latest episode. is this a no no topic to show visually? saving it for film maybe?
    So Yoda talks to everyone from Dagobah?
    [spoiler/]

12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Oh, I have to go watch, then I will come back and look at your spoiler Grilled Hutt

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just finished watching Path of the Jedi and I'm thinking the concept art of Rey and Finn in the cave like setting is depicting one of these Jedi temples that was talked about in the episode. The episode was very much like Luke's cave scene in ESB and wouldn't you know it we have a photograph of the filmmakers with that scene being played on a TV behind them.

14. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Yoda said that he could not feel Kanan before but something had changed. Somehow, Kanan taking on an Apprentice is what that was and now Yoda could sense him. That goes a long way in establishing that there are limits to what Yoda can sense as evidently, Kanan becoming the "Master" was a pre-requisite. Yoda also noted that Ezra could be a Jedi yet, thus establishing that Ezra is not a Jedi.

Kanan also (again) said that "Now, we are few" in regards to remaining Jedi. This is at least the second time that he has said this. He never says that he and Ezra are the last two. I think that this could be telling. Maybe he knows of more in hiding?

Great episode.

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  17. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    very good episode
    hopefully this is the beginning of the series hitting its stride

TKT and TheBBP like this.
  18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

It really picked up for me with "Rise of the Old Masters". We will still get the "fluff" episodes like "Droids in Distress" and "Fighter Flight", but I fully expect the overall quality of the story to continue to improve just as it did over time with TCW.

19. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    certainly had some darker elements and moments in it thats for sure. Without going into much detail, i would expect that to be a very tense moment for a young person to watch even if it does mirror the ben/luke situation a little bit.

20. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I just finished watching Path of the Jedi, and all I have to say is WOW. What a great episode. Without spoiling anything, it gives fans another healthy dose of "Dagobah cave" mysticism and darkness. So good. I love how these Rebels episodes keep getting better, while adding even more to the Star Wars universe as opposed to re-treading old ground.

Granek and TheBBP like this.
  21. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I have a strong feeling Kyber crystals are going to play a big part of TFA.

Satipo, darklordoftech and TheBBP like this.
  22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

It definitely seems like they are going to be important moving forward. They are making a pretty good effort to get us acquainted with them.

Satipo and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This trilogies midichlorians?

24. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    No, they actually serve a purpose.

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I also enjoyed the episode. I think the key for this series is to continue with episodes like this and avoid having too many seasons. The new that appeared a few weeks ago about Rebels running only for 3 or 4 seasons is a step in the right direction IMO. I have been rewatchig TCW and one of the most evident lacks of Rebels is that you can see this show has much less budget than TCW. Eveything is simpler, with less going on, less planets, less ships, same background characters... I hope this first season does well and for the second we can see a big mprovement on this area.

Darth PJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.