main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Actually it makes perfect sense. 10 year old boy, no father... His only source of unconditional love is his mother. He's taken away from her after making a solemn vow to come back from her (remember his vision about freeing slaves). He never has any contact with her again and is living among a bunch of repressed monks who are suspicious of him.

Then the visions of his mother dying a horrible death...
    He returns to Tatooine, only to find out his mother has been missing...
    He scours the deserts trying to find her..
    When he does find her she's been tortured (probably raped), and abused...
    So that solemn vow... yeah, well she dies. So those visions of being reuinted with his mother are now dust.

I think quite a few angst ridden teenagers would fly off the handle.

Yancy

FRAGWAGON, TKT and Visivious Drakarn like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

NEVER!

3. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    I think everyone needs to start paying VERY close attention to TCW, Rebels and these new novels.

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yup!

For example, no Sith spirits in the ST unless some very extraordinary event happens.

StoneRiver, Darth_Pevra and Immortiss like this.
  5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Why? Does this have to do with the TCW Yoda arc? I haven't watched s6 yet.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes. Watch it soon!

7. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    I'm rewatching TCW with my little brother (6) who has never seen it and is just getting exposed to SW. He likes to watch 1 or 2 episodes a day so we're still on the first mandalore arc in s2.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's nice of you to be so patient. I'd watch it when he was asleep. ;)

Ryus, StoneRiver and The Hellhammer like this.
  9. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    That's my plan. I also need to watch s5 again because I honestly didn't see much from it because of the time slot change.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    "The first and only reality of the Sith. There can only be two." GL seems to truly believe in the Rule of Two. It makes non-Rule of Two Sith look unlikely.

11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I see what you're saying, but it doesn't explain the actual practice of the Rule of Two. Ventress was for all intents and purposes an apprentice, which is why Palpatine demanded she be destroyed. Then you have Maul and Savage out there until Palp decides to face them. Now we have news/rumors of Maul and Dooku facing off. So the rule doesn't really stop people from being trained or becoming threats. It just means someone like Palpatine wants to enforce it and stop the darksiders before they become too powerful. We'll learn more about whether the rule was thrown out in Rebels, which I'm hoping it is. After all, we already have an Inquisitor who can wield a doublebladed lightsaber and create hallucinations in his enemies minds. Easily powerful enough to be called a Sith Apprentice, but is simply being called something different to get around the Rule (unless there is no Rule in Rebels).

I think we'll learn that the Rule only applies to Sith Lords. But there will be other kinds of Sith, like the Sith Inquisitor. IMO.

12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

When Maul confronts Palpatine in TCW claiming to be Sith, Palps bests him, then lets him live, saying he has a use for him. I think this is how the Inquisitors will work. Their graduation ceremony involves making a ceremonial claim to be Sith; Palpatine or Vader performs some ceremonial defeat -- knocking the saber from their hand or some such -- and now that their claim has been formally repelled, they can be allowed to live and serve.

13. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    I hope this gets expanded on with Rebels or that new book.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Gah, that just reminded me of that line. Another plot point left open...I was so excited to see what that was referencing.:(

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That would be pretty cool to witness.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Maybe A'sharad Hett never went to Moraband and instead continued to be a bounty hunter and ended up teaming up with Ventress.

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the key to the 'Rule of Two' is that there is a single Sith, the Master, who is the living embodiment of the darkside... the one who has all existing/known Sith knowledge at their disposal. The apprentice is the one that the master has chosen to be the heir apparent (although that can change), and who is drip fed Sith knowledge/secrets until they themselves are in a position/'worthy' to usurp their master and take the title.

I personally don't think the Rule of Two has ever meant that there can't be other darksiders, Sith wannabes or would-be apprentices. It's more about the Sith practise of earning the access to power - which revolves around a Master sharing their Sith knowledge with a single heir. This creates a right of succession... the apprentice must, at some stage, look to find their own apprentice to help usurp the Master. Which is why a Rule of Two can't exclude the notion of more than two. I've always thought the 'Rule' was actually quite a logical and cool concept. :)

Immortiss, Ryus, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Dang it! No Badawan Academy then (sorry, odd Yoda Chronicles reference there)!

But on a more serious note of discussion, even though it is called the Rule of Two, it more or less really is a Rule of Three. In the bonus content on Clone Wars Lucas explains that there's always a Master and an Apprentice, but the Apprentice is always seeking out their own Apprentice so they can take out the Master (Count Dokuu with Asajj Ventress/Savage Opress and Vader's attempts to sway Luke).

Yancy

Immortiss, Ryus, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
  19. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Rule of (sorta) 2

Ryus, Dra--- and Gallandro like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "It's more what you would call guideline than actual rule." :D

Darth_Corvus, Immortiss, Ryus and 4 others like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Rules are a point of view Anakin."

Ryus, Bullhead CIty, KevinM1 and 3 others like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. So there's nothing that would stop a few rogue darksiders or even a Sith apprentice from putting a group of anti-Bane Sith together in order to try to destroy the Banite master. If Lucas was still in charge, maybe he'd have the Banite master destroy the Sith group. But in the future we might see Disney writers allow the group to defeat the Master.

For the ST, I even think one possible storyline -- one endorsed by GL -- could be a post death of Palpatine scenario. In such a vacuum where no Sith Master exists, a group of darksiders might either try to work together as a group, or they might fight each other over the title of Master. This could still work with GL's logic if we were to see that a group of Sith can never co-exist, or that they simply choose to embrace the Rule of Two.

Still, there is the concept that was explored in the Darth Plagueis novel that the Rule of Two would be abandoned once the Empire was established. Although that novel is no longer canon, I think the idea might still be valid. We'll know soon when we see how Rebels portrays the Sith hierarchy.

23. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Darksiders/Sith could unite under a child or young person they found and believe to be the Sith'ari, Sort of like the Jedi and Anakin, Maybe they lost faith in Palpatine or something and this was going on during those years, Grooming him, Teaching him to be the ultimate sith. Turns out to be Plagueis Reborn.
    Wasn't that canceled Darth maul game to do with Darth Talon and Darth Krayt also? We could see sith come out of the wood works.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    You know, one thing that occurs to me is that the Mortis and Yoda arcs of the Clone Wars is that they have exploded from nowhere to everywhere, canon-wise. When they came out, the idea of two sets of beings who know more about the force than the Jedi was strange in some ways. But there were so many groups of witches and wise men in the EU, they weren't necessarily a revolution. Now, they are a revolution because they're all that's left of the once-proud EU empire.

I think as we look around and take stock of what we know based on the six films and the Clone Wars, the Mortis, Yoda, and even Bardotta arcs are going to point us in the direction of some weirdness to do with the nature of the Force and its dark side as much more than abstractions. Yoda's inner gremlin, the idea that Mortis is somehow disconnected from normal space, Qui-Gon causing a physical effect from beyond the grave, the "Sith of your time will find you," the ghost of Darth Bane -- they all now carry a lot of weight. Witches, the Bardottan sages, the priestesses, and the Father, Son and Daughter are all now among the few fish left in a very small pond. Obviously not all of them are going to be players in Episode VII or even still around, but the six films and the Clone Wars are a lot more into the mystical, fantasy aspect of Star Wars and Force users than the six films alone.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder if we'll see a snake-like Sith Lord consider what we saw on Moraband.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.