main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They need to do what Trek's wikipedias do, have two separate ones. One for the canon material going forward and one for the Legends banner.

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The books one could fill my whole screen. Why don't the comic adaptations count? Okay the original Marvel OT stuff is somewhat explanatory I suppose but come on! 35,000+ years of history down to roughly 70 years. =((
    Hope we can break into the 100's of years soon.

Circular Logic likes this.
  3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone know why Tarkin has unknown canon placement?

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know when its set. Could be ROTS on, before Rebels, after Rebels etc. We know when it'll probably end, just not when it starts.

Darth PJ likes this.
  5. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh, makes sense. I mistook it as being potentially not canon.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Another EU ship that was incorporated in the Special editions was that crashed "Dowager Quenn" ship in the streets of Mos Eisley. As far as I remember it at first appeared in the "Tales from the Cantina" anthology and was later added in the new wide shots of ANH.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    A ship (or a place, etc.) being pulled from an EU source (novel, game, etc.) and used in the movies or TV shows does make that thing canon, but not the EU source from which it came.

8. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Well I'm enjoying the emptiness while it's here. Pretty soon I won't be able to post anything without being told, "Well on Shadows of Darkness, page 47, Mara Jade says...."

(shudders)

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    See Darth Maul's Lightsaber. As to the comic adaptations, the thing is that they're always based on an earlier draft of the film. The contradictions are only based on what they go off of from said script since it takes time to produce a comic. ANH was given a new version in 1997, only because so much had changed prior to the SE, that Dark Horse and Lucasfilm agreed to it. TESB and ROTJ were unchanged simply due to the quality of the material and the fact that both were fairly close to the final film.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    To each their own. I prefer the overwhelming amount of stuff to get. No drought of things to collect.

11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012

TK327, CairnsTony and T-R- like this.
  12. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

One of my favourite....theories out there is that Max von Sydow is playing an older version of the Inquisitor from Rebels.

Redimet likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  14. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    So Oyelowo, who MSW rumored to be voicing a baddie in EPVII is voicing a baddie in Rebels... interesting.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    today's forcecast talks about this.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The more I hear about this, the more excited I are!

18. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

You mean I am. Oh wait...

[​IMG]

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hur hur dat's da joke.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well it takes a lot of time to repleace 30 years of hard work. If the movie does not canonize half of the pre-clone wars EU that list will remain empty for a long long time.

21. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    The big question mark on canon for me is going to be related to the TOR mmo which is still ongoing and getting new content despite now being 'Legends' for the time being. Just how does that mesh with the desire for all Star Wars properties going forward being canon? Is it an exception as an ongoing project that happens to predate the changes to canon status or does its ongoing operation eventually merit that game and the associated events (ie. the KoTOR series) being included in the official Star Wars canon and basically restore most of the 25,000 to 3500 BBY EU material?

You wouldn't even have to link the movie Sith to the KoTOR Sith if you didn't want to. Just state the the rogue Jedi who formed the movie Sith chose to name themselves after a darksider ruled empire that fell 2500 years earlier and they're no more connected to each other than the Holy Roman Empire was to the actual Roman Empire. 2500 years between the events of TOR and the rise of the movie Sith is also a veritable wall of ages between the two time periods. Even the youngest of Yoda's people during the events of TOR would have died of old age a millenia and a half before the movie Sith even got the idea to break away from the Jedi a thousand years before the PT and for the humans of that era it would be akin to us discussing the events of the war between the Greeks and the Persians... Interesting to some, possibly bastardized into the GFFA's version of '300', but not having any sort of real impact on the galaxy of 1000 BBY.

Indeed, how many people today would even know that an extremist religious cult calling itself the Xerxites had named itself after the ruler of the ancient Persian empire, much less consider them the legitimate successors of that empire (versus thinking they're some whackados who watched '300' one too many times)?

22. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I think Kotor should be left alone. 1. It is a very beloved era and franchise 2. It brings a lot of money 3. It is so far in the past that Disney still has plenty of creative freedom. There is actually a good chance Kotor might survive. Remember the cut content for the Mortic arc in TVW. The two sith they wanted to include were Darth Bane and Darth Revan. Granted it was cut and only Bane was reimplemented later, but the effort was there to bring Revan into the movie canon.

23. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    So Rebels Report has a spoilery (including confirmation of what Ryus posted in the EU/Legends thread) scoop regarding the contents of the newly released Rebels Visual Guide. In particular, this info is very intriguing and could potentially have implications for Episode VII:

[​IMG]
    Imperial cadet turned Rebel spy Zare Leonis

This is the first onscreen evidence of a black human on the side of the Imperials (the EU had several). This lends further credence to the rumor that John Boyega is a former/current Imperial character in the ST. If they want to really go overboard on the idea of close relationships in Star Wars, they could even make Boyega's character a descendant of this Zare fellow.

Ryus, thisguyisnotajedi and vinsanity like this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I could see Disney wanting to replace it with KOTOR III. The audience would be larger and the fans would love it.

Ryus likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    SWTOR is not canon.

Thanks for posting that, that was awesome to read. I have to say that simply because a character is of color does not make him an automatic candidate to be attached to Boyega's character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.