main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lupita nyongo ep 7!

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I wasn't talking about Dooku not taking her out personally. More that she was growing stronger and stronger, which bothered Palpatine. Becoming strong enough that Dooku could think of using her to betray him.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I know what you were getting at. It was obvious that she was getting stronger, that's why Palps wanted her dead.

4. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Couldn't agree more, I've seen many a middle aged man on Facebook and Twitter completely tearing it down and dissecting it to bits before seeing a single episode. Like you say any of us would have killed for this in our youth so accept it for what it is and try get the most enjoyment you can out of it.

darthjj88, Dra---, Rabs and 1 other person like this.
  5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It's not the impossibility of it, there is just something that feels a little too goofy about it to me. More so with the spinning lightsaber, actually. Not a big deal, though...still psyched for this show. And Chopper. :)

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Hey, we all like what we like.

It's true that I like goofy things as well as impossible things.

:p

7. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    What can make it work is that it is in an animated show on Disney XD. While many don't agree, I think it is fine that the stories in different media have a different tone. I actually think this can be a strength of the story group going forward. A saga film here, a cartoon there, a YA novel over here...each different in tone/target audience, but all forming one interconnected story.

The slingshot can work here; it would feel out of place in one of the films. IMO, of course.

I wondered the other day how far this goes. Will future versions of Star Tours at the Disney Park (or any other future rides, for that matter) conform to the new canon? Will Imagineering have to clear things with the Story Group?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree with your point about tone and different media. But Kinberg and Filoni, in the interview I posted, say they're going for as much cinematic tone with Rebels as possible. For them the world should feel as one as possible.

9. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes, but based on what we have seen, it feels a little more lighthearted than the films. Yes, there will be dark moments, but on the whole it looks like it will be played just slightly more fun than the films or TCW. There is emotion in it to be sure, but it feels more balanced out with comic relief/pure action. Not saying this is a bad thing at all.

My completely subjective opinion on a show that won't debut for three months, I admit.;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't understand why people think the tone will be much different from ANH, which is what they're aiming for. They say it again and again. Remember, the OT had light banter amidst death. It had Ewoks. And even the PT had gungans and the fairly light and silly TPM. ROTS and ESB were exceptions to the light adventurous tone.

Have you watched all the Rebels previews? We have enslaved wookies and a depressed looking Jedi Master in cuffs. Is that light???

EDIT:

Here's a review of the first episode by IGN. She says Rebels is not all light, but a nice mix of light and dark. Isn't that what Star Wars is supposed to be?

jedinightwing, Zer0, TheBBP and 2 others like this.
  11. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't think the tone will be much different, but it will be different and aimed at a slightly younger demographic I think. Yes, there will be darkness, but I get the vibe that overall it will feel a little different. That is a good thing, I'm not bashing it.

I've watched all the trailers etc., at least that I am aware of. I did say there would be dark moments, but overall it feels slightly more lighthearted to me. I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong when we see it, especially since I see it mainly as a stylistic choice and not something that will impact the quality either way.

I don't want everything all dark all the time, so maybe I am just hoping that after RotS and TCW we are getting something a little more light.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think we really disagree then. :)

It's interesting to me that a lighthearted or adventurous tone can be maintained while still exploring dark events. ANH proved this was possible. It's certainly preferable to too much brooding and melodramatic seriousness -- which is ok in small doses.

jedinightwing and hippie1kenobi like this.
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Here is what Greg Weisman said;)
    As for the tone, Weisman explained, “The tone of this show is very much in the vein of Episodes IV and V — that is, there’s some serious stuff going on; that doesn’t mean we can’t have humor, that doesn’t mean we can’t have romance, and that doesn’t mean we can’t have anything, frankly. We just also take the jeopardy very seriously, but we think we’ve got a great ensemble of characters to work with here in a world that starts on the planet Lothal and will continue to expand, assuming — I mean, it even expands in Season 1 — but assuming we get a pickup for multiple seasons, we’ll continue to expand it, because this series really is about the founding of the Rebel Alliance. It doesn’t exist when we come in.”

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Where? Under the hair? :p ;)

TheBBP likes this.
  15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Yes, that piqued my curiosity. I am imagining that this takes place some time after Ahsoka splits from the order.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The one niggle with Rebels I have (amongst a few others) is the Inquisitor. There's an old Red Dwarf episode (of which I'm a huge fan *check my avatar) that involves a character called The Inquisitor. And Red Dwarf (for those who don't know) is a terrific cult scifi comedy from the 80's and 90's. Look up the Inquistor from Red Dwarf on YouTube to see what I mean.

DarthBreezy and TK327 like this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    inquisitors have been in sw forever.

Inquisitorius - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

18. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Haven't fictious inquisitors been around since the days of The Inquisition? Former Star Wars S-canon had its share of inquisitors, so I personally wouldn't have linked the 'Rebels' inquisitor specifically to Red Dwarf.
    Apart from that ... smoke me a kipper. I'll be back fror breakfast ^^.

EDIT
    Wow, it took me 11 minutes to type this? No wonder I've neen ninja'd.

TheBBP, rumsmuggler, Jcuk and 2 others like this.
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Forget that, the term inquisitor goes back to the Spanish Inquisition.

[​IMG]

Something that nobody expected.

Ryus, Seeher, Zer0 and 8 others like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: What would happen if the Mortis monolith was destroyed? What would happen if the flow of midichlorians from the Priestess planet was blocked?

Darth Archimage likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Nothing. Mortis was a hallucination. :p

22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    or was it?

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    the Monolith was real, even if what was inside it was a hallucination

24. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Although many argue that it's not needed, I've been wondering what a darksider could do to been more powerful than Palpatine, who ruled the galaxy? I think one answer could be total control of the Force.

Maybe the new baddie will seek not to destroy but manipulate the Mortis Monolith and the well of midichlorians from the Priestess planet?

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "The Dissappeared" shows that Force-sensitivity can be transferred from one person to another. I wonder if the ST will have characters who gained their powers this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.