main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Well what a moronic point, since it actually makes sense to involve Vader. I was saying why nonsensically have a Jedi at all, besides to please idiots excited by lightsabers.
    And the inquisitor is not in VII, this was initially hard to believe and eventually debunked.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The look of the show is probably the biggest reason I won't make much of an effort to watch it. Just looks a bit too cheap/bland to me compared to TCW.

3. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Looks exactly the same as TCW to me, same ol CG look that everyone hated when the movie and the first season of TCW came out.

Now we wanna act like TCW was flawless from the beginning and people didn't consider Ashoka Jar Jar tier bad.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Here's an idea, don't mix up me saying TOO MUCH moronic villains does to a degree lowerer the accomplishments of the main cast as me saying I still can't enjoy that form of entertainment. Just as gene roddenberry said he enjoyed star wars and not everything had to be phiilospical debates on morality to be enjoyable, I don't think everything has to be just like the original trilogy. That said it doesn't change the fact that dumb villains don't make the main heroes cooler, it actually just makes their challenges easier. Your seeing me as hating against the show when I'm simply saying I understand the complaints and agree there is merit to the argument.

You're talking to someone who was able to enjoy parts of the clone wars movie, even though overall it was very bad. I even enjoyed parts of the Christmas special and ewok movies. I'm simply a fan who can accept criticisms of things I enjoy and one who realizes the history of star wars thus can recognize how to some fans aren't aware of details like the 501st.

I'm simply listening to all points of view. I watch plenty of kids shows and enjoy them, some bad some good. I get kids need silly levity, i often enjoy it too. Doesn't change the fact that easy difficulty enemies aren't often a serious challenge. It's simply recognizing the truth. Also flaws on shows can be worked out, when I watch a show for the first time I watch a whole season before I judge it. Sometimes in cases of shows like agents of shield or arrow they get amazingly better and in the case of the clone wars wasn't even the same show by the end since it improved so much.

TtheForceHurts and DL44Jo like this.
  5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

The thing is, you are not making the lore and the canon of this universe. They are. What you think should or should not happen in that era doesn't matter. It is a show on Disney XD clearly aimed at a younger crowd. However, because it is Star Wars and ESPECIALLY because it is canon, I will thoroughly enjoy it, with my young boys.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. Vader has a lot of other responsibilities as we've seen so far. There are other Jedi out there and other matters of importance that Palpatine has him doing. And as TCW showed us, the Sith didn't handle everything. That was what Asajj Ventress, Cad Bane, General Grievous and the others were for.

The point of having a Jedi in the story is that not all of the Jedi were eliminated in ROTS, as established by Obi-wan and Yoda going to the Temple and changing the emergency beacon to warn the stragglers to run and hide. Ergo, there would be a survivor in the form of Kanan who finds himself working as a Rebel, while doing less than savory deeds. We're seeing how the Jedi survived during the dark times.

And you believe them how? We don't know jack *** other than who is in the film and where filming is taking place. All we have are conflicting reports, some of which might be misinformation. Nothing is for certain until the trailers come out and official publicity photos identifying the characters are made clear.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  7. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    So what you think is noone should have an opinion about anything and blindly enjoy anything labelled Star Wars

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    So what you think is noone should have an opinion about anything and blindly enjoy anything labelled Star Wars[/quote]

[​IMG]

I am more than certain that I said nothing of that sort. I was addressing your tantrum and your tendency to attempt to belittle fans of the show.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm looking forward to Rebels a lot. That is all.

TtheForceHurts, DL44Jo, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Those are exactly the reasons that I want to enjoy the show, also with my son. But I just don't know yet if I (or even he, who prefers the movies over TCW) will. Some of these clips we've seen don't have me feeling too great about it, but I'm still going in with an open mind.

11. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I'm 35 and I like it (ok not everything - I agree with a lot that's been said BUT I think I'll still enjoy it) so I guess they're going for viewers in their mid 30s and younger? :p

Satipo likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope. Senior citizens.

DL44Jo likes this.
  13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That explains the intergalactic prunes everywhere.

DL44Jo and Patrick E Wing like this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Me too. Also, from what it seems, it's likely this Rebel group will live past ANH

DL44Jo likes this.
  15. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I like the look of Rebles beter than the Myan Rescue Heroes look of TCW.

I did really like the show once I gave it a chance, but every time Dukoo is on screen I'm just sitting there thinking, "really? REALLY?"

Jcuk likes this.
  16. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I am absolutely looking forward to this show. I guess I will get used to the animation very fast and you have to remember that they will improve over time. The first season of TCW was the hardest, creatively since they had to create all the 3d assets and textures from nothing. In the following seasons they had more time to be more elaborate and diverse since the basics were already there. Since Rebels is taking place in a new era they also have a lot to build from scratch (ships/main character models etc) and thus I expect rather simple environments in the first season (Lothal based on the McQ concepts plays in their cards a lot by being mostly empty grasslands). I heard from people that have seen the pilot that, for instance, Ezra's monologues from the preview are only happening at the beginning as exposition.

Regarding the endless stormtrooper and Inquisitor discussions. I think the show is taking a cue from TCW or even Harry Potter in that it will get more mature along with the audience. Kids in 3rd or 4th grade will watch that fun show as an introduction and the themes will get more serious as they get older. So expect the stormtroopers to get more compitent as the show progresses and the stakes are raised. Using Vader as the main entagonist would be the worst idea ever, since it would lead to one of two possible scenarios:
    1: The show would be over rather quickly, because Vader kills the main cast off in the first few episodes.
    2: The Rebels manage to repeatedly escape and fool Vader. This would be horrible since it would make the meanest villain in the GFFA laughable.

I'd rather have the Inquisitor for that, with the excuse to not be a fully fledged Sith.

As to the whining about having Jedi in the show. Kanaan is no Jedi anymore, he gave up on the order to stay alive. He reluctantly pics up his lightsaber again in the show and teaches force sensitive Ezra about the force, but he is no active Jedi anymore. Even Obi and Yoda aren't Jedi anymore in OT.
    Obi himself says: "I was once a Jedi Knight like your father..."

There were thousands of Jedi active at the time Order 66 hit and not all of them were in the company of clonetroopers at that time. Vader couldn't have hunted them all down alone, hence the Inquisitors and it makes sense that some of them are still alive and undercover by that time, especially considering the warning message by Obi Wan. The Inquisitors job is to sniff them out (and force sensitives like Ezra as well) and given how huge an universe it is, Vader be above such trivial tasks and would only be summoned when a Jedi Master was found or a major problem arose (Death Star plans gone missing).

Oh and just for the recordthat I am not a mindless SW defending fanboy: I loved about 85% of TCW but hated the Clone Wars miniseries and I do not love the PT, but I made my peace with them, though I still cringe at certain scenes/lines.

Jcuk and DL44Jo like this.
  17. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I can't wait for more. It's got a great energy to it. Breezy and fun. And I like that these characters have personalities. Also, I like the break from Jedi philosophy (and not told from the Clones' POV). I really love TCW - it felt like the PT done really well. This feels like the adventure side of the OT done well so far, although I agree that they might want to change up the buffoonery of the Imperials a little. But I'm sure that will happen. And regardless of the textures and animation, I think it's very similar to TCW in that a lot of the framing and shot choices are hugely cinematic. That Destroyer buzzing Ezra's comms tower is lovely.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The show will most certainly mature. TCW got darker each season as we got closer to RoTS; Ezra will no doubt lose the "Disney look" - the Rebels team have no intention, it seems, of alienating old fans.

Ryus and DL44Jo like this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm in the same boat. My son is almost four and he loves all six episodes but he's drawn more towards watching clone wars and is excited about rebels. Rebels is probably Disney's way of reaching younger fans now because it looks like episode 7 may be darker and more aimed at older fans.

Ryus, DL44Jo and TheBBP like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If non-501st Stormtroopers aren't elite soldiers, what does that make the Imperial Army?

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    If they are part of the NUEU they'll be 'Canon' fodder!

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or if Nick Canon murders them all, they'll be Canon Fodder.

DL44Jo and EHT like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Cheap labor. As Filori said, Palpatine abandoned the Clone Army in favor of raw recruits. Not everyone is going to be a Fett. The weakness of the Stormtroopers goes a long ways towards justifying the Death Star.

25. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I don't think that the quality of the Empire's army had anything to do with why the Death Star was built. I think that it would have been built regardless of the average skill of the army.

rumsmuggler and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.