main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

2. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    LOL, can't say you're wrong. [face_laugh]

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People want Big 3 threatened by villains, when they are threatened, revolt!
    Ex) Chewie in the NJO.

127th out of 150 on the New York Times Bestseller List. Could be worse.

4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Different is fine, as long as it has the Star Wars Aesthetic feel, and doesn't make a mockery of Star Wars. I want to give Rebels a chance, but the Trailers are not giving me a reason. Of course this is just an opinion. I hope I am wrong though. :)

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think the trailers look great. A triumphant return to the classic spirit and style.

Redimet and Han Drolo like this.
  6. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    That's why I think it's hilarious.

Originally when the PT came out you had a select group crying fowl because it didn't feel like the Star Wars we once knew.

Now years later , we have the ST trying to move focus back to that OT era and now the entire generation of people who grew up on the PT style are calling Fowl.

Kind of a paradox.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not sure if we can call Rebels all that different yet. From the previews it looks to me like ANH topped with a cartoonish glaze. Which is cool and all, especially for the target audience they obviously in mind, but when I think of "different" Star Wars I think about what Underworld was said to be all about before the Disney purchase happened.

Immortiss and Darth PJ like this.
  8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, doesn't matter to me.

9. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    In tone and concept , Rebels isn't different in the sense that it's infused with the spirit of the OT and inspired by that original Mcquarrie concept art.

But as far as whats been presented, like a Mando being an artist at heart , or Ezra having a saber-blaster, Zeb as the wisecracking alien muscle, these ideas are seen as tired. Why? Not because they're not original , but because they break away from much of what we know about certain character tropes in Star Wars.

So it's kinda murky if you're a writer or a concept artist trying to bring new ideas to the fold, because alot of people wanna have their cake and eat it too.

Immortiss, The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    One of the problems is that a lot of fandom approaches certain aspects of Star Wars like they're employed by political parties. They assume everything should be like the particular aspects they like and that they should attack -- rather than appreciate -- anything that differs from what they've staked out as their fixed position.

As we see, some of these fixed positions are ironic and contradictory. They say something should be like the PT, TCW, or the OT, but then they also want it to be new. If it claims familiar ground they don't like, it's cliche. If it stakes out new ground they don't like, it's not Star Wars or "new but not new enough."

Personally I don't mind people having their favorite aspects of SW, but it's a shame that people can't open their minds to what things want to be, like Rebels, rather than what they arbitrarily prescribe that it must be.

11. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    The show could very well do some things that totally feel fresh and original, but again, I'll have to wait and possibly see. As of right now, though, from the previews none of those characters really stand out to me as something that feels too different. I see a Chewie that can talk, someone in Boba Fett armor with 'tude, and the obligatory Luke-type. Seems like pretty familiar ground with a few flourishes and grace notes thrown in, but of course that's just my view based on the previews. I don't mean to bash the show, just to give my honest reaction.

12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I think that you are over-generalizing by quite a bit.

Chewie had a life-debt and was a yes-man and bodyguard to Han. Zeb so far has seemed like anything like that, especially in the "Entanglement" preview where he comes off as very independent. The fact that they are strong aliens doesn't make them similar. The only comparison that you can draw between Sabine and Fett is the helmet. Again, those two characters are absolutely nothing alike. And Kanan being the Luke-type? How so? Because he is the main hero and has a lightsaber? Kanan is trained, jaded and was all about giving up life as a Jedi. How does that sound like Luke?

13. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    How anyone thinks an artistic female mando doesn't stand out is totally beyond me.

14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Just so long as she isn't into cubism like the mandos in The Clone Wars.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe they're more concerned with surface comparisons? Or they're not really interested in being fair? ;)

TheBBP likes this.
  16. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I am not to worried to be honest. Give Rebels time and fans will love it the same way that they now love TCW cause if recall nobody liked TCW when it first came out.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked TCW a lot more the first two seasons, although season 4 had its moments and season 3 had the Nightsisters arc.

As far as Rebels, I hope it's a lot like A New Dawn, and less like the trailers, several of which gave a "nyeh nyeh nyeh boo boo, I spray-painted stormtroopers" and an "OMG Ezra is ****ing amazing and I must love him even at his most annoying" vibe.

Yes, Luke was a whiny *****, but he was never my favorite. No, 3PO would not shut up. Do we have our Han character in Rebels? Are Kanan and Hera going to be the new Han and Leia? These are important questions.

Yes, the Ewoks punked the stormtroopers. They also ate people, which Sabine and Ezra do not.

TheBBP likes this.
  18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I agree except the first sentence. I like TCW a lot better after season 2. I may go as far back as 1.5, but early episodes were hard for me to chew on. Since then it has produced some of the best Star Wars every put to screen. I expect Rebels can pull off the same.

19. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    The post I was addressing mentioned Ezra, not Kanan. That was Luke type I was talking about. About Sabine, I didn't mean she was a Fett stand-in, just that the Mando armor itself kind of stands out to me in an unoriginal manner. Frankly I'm pretty tired of the Boba Fett/Mando design, and thus my first reaction is to roll my eyes a bit after seeing it in the first big thing Disney does.

But, once again, I already admitted that the actual show may very well manage to take all this stuff and come across as fresh and different, but as of right now those two buzzwords are not the immediate ones that come to my mind after seeing the previews. That's all I said. I'm sorry if anything less than high-fives and thumbs up is frowned upon here, but I'm not going to just nod my head with something I didn't agree with (in this case that Rebels looks like "something different"). Now that would be unfair, since someone brought up fairness a few posts up.

20. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    ezekiel22x you are still over-generalizing. The tiny bit we know about Ezra has very little that is consistent with Luke. As for you being tired of things that you have already seen, what are you going to do when Ep7 hits where we have lightsabers, Jedi, the Millennium Falcon, Stormtroopers, X-Wings and who knows what other familiar things? It's all Star Wars, how different can it get? What would you need to see in it before it gets your blessing? It honestly sounds like you are putting effort into trying not to like Rebels.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Fortunately I'm expecting Episode VII to deliver a lot of good things both new and old (who said I'm tired of lightsabers, the Falcon, or Jedi?). And even if it doesn't feel fresh, then I could still end up enjoying it. Just like Rebels. I haven't said it's impossible that I'll enjoy Rebels, just that thus far it doesn't strike me as "something different."

TheBBP likes this.
  22. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    They have so far made it very clear that none of the crew members are taking any of Ezra's ****. What that tells me is that while the crew may be initially impressed by his skills, they aren't impressed by his personality at all. I figure Ezra will develop much like the rebellion itself, initially unfocused and petty before becoming a more serious force to be reckoned with.

In many ways Ezra's flaws distinguish him from Luke, who is supposed to be a completely sympathetic character from start to end.

23. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_rofl]

Sounds like a great mantra for the new generation of fans. The old timers have "Han shot first," the new school has "nyeh nyeh nyeh boo boo, I spray-painted stormtroopers."

darth-sinister likes this.
  24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm an old-timer and I am all levels of excited for Rebels.

Satipo likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm 22 years old and think the animation looks terrible.

Darth Lurker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.