main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Should have given it more of a chance. IMHO, TCW did a great job of humanizing the clones. Gave them personalities and even relationships. The Jedi considered them as valuable as each other and treated them as such. I won't spoil anything in case you decide to give it another chance, but I challenge to you to give it another go and try not feel emotions for the ones that we do get to know. Especially "99".

2. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    I
    I've seen every episode. :p I watched them all over the year following the October 2012 announcement, and later the bonus content. The clones were humanised, it's true, which made their plight even sadder.

I loved the Yoda arc though.

TheBBP likes this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Making it more sad was the point I think. They wanted us to see the clones as brothers and even as family to each other and the Jedi.

The episode where 99 dies was every bit as emotional to me as when Ahsoka left.

IMHO they really did the clones justice.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The clone episodes are, without a doubt, some of the best Star Wars material made so far.

5. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Back when TCW first began airing in 2008, I wasn't too fond of the clones being humanized at all. I felt that they should've been the organic droids they were in Episode II and the original Clone Wars series. However, as the show went on, I really warmed up to the clones actually have personalities (especially with arcs like the Umbara arc and the Order 66 arc). After seeing TCW and watching RotS, it makes the movie even better and sadder than it was before. Originally I had thought (as many others thought) that Order 66 was just a simple order given out, however instead the clones had no say in the matter once Order 66 was issued. They were forced to turn on the Jedi, whom they had fought the entire war alongside and had become close friends with. Seeing that everyone was deceived by Palpatine, even the clones, makes RotS all the more sadder.

Iron_lord, Darth PJ and TheBBP like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We're discussing this in the PT forum and I'm repeating some of It here:

I assumed the clones had personalities prior to TCW being aired. I never thought that their being cloned would keep them from being shy, morose, funny, outgoing, sardonic, or whatever personality trait they happened to hold. Identical twins with the same genetic material can have different personalities, why not clones?

But I do think that TCW went way too far and retconned the genetic modification for greater obedience by having the clones behave too much like ordinary conscripted soldiers, from arguing with their Jedi Generals to outright desertion. And I don't think there was any thought put into the overall saga in these storylines, only "How can we make the clones more interesting to the viewers?"

There were plenty of ways to do that without retconning AOTC and ROTS.

Then the writers realized they had written themselves into a corner, thinking, uh-oh. A clone that can desert, can disobey Order 66, and an audience attached to the clones will want them to disobey Order 66. Better write in an inhibitor chip so they have no choice.

The Order 66 arc pissed me off about as much as Mortis and the fugitive arc did. And it ruined one of the only good sequences in ROTS, the Order 66 scene. If I am not supposed to view the Jedi as victims of betrayal by everyone--Palpatine, the clones, and the Republic itself--the scene has little to no impact for me. Which is sad, because the scene originally gave me goosebumps.

my kind of scum and Valairy Scot like this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure I agree with that. The clones clearly were able to 'flip' allegiance once Order 66 was given. It makes perfect sense that this was something coded into them from an early age or even inception. As it stands in both AOTC and ROTS, the clones are pretty much blank slates and I don't think TCWC retcons anything in the films... it just adds some detail as to who the clones are and how Palpatine was able to use them to destroy the Jedi.

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The instances of clones deserting or malfunctioning in any way are very rare and we see just an isolated incident or two, among millions of troops. This is no different than a battle droid having bad programming or malfunctioning, although the million other units from the same batch work perfectly. This never impacted my viewing experience of TCW, AOTC or ROTS. In fact, it enhanced it, showing that there is more to these guys than just machines in human form.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They weren't exactly slaves. They were soldiers breed to fight for the Republic and the Jedi didn't send them into battle, the Chancellor and the Senate did. All the Jedi did was work alongside them.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I cant wait for the 3rd I will be hosting a viewing party at my house !!!!!!!!!!!!:)

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    A part of me kind of wishes Rebels were 2D. It's the character designs.

starocean90 likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm really digging the connection between Kanan and Obi-Wan, in A New Dawn.

Love the movie trailer. Definitely has me excited for the premiere. It already seems so much better than TCW movie.

Now I'm in the mood for TCW! Time to rewatch...

TheBBP likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not that hard really.

anakinfansince1983 and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Interesting that Dooku calls Ventress his apprentice in episode one. Says it right in front of the Toydarians and V.

She calls him master.

So much for those who try to claim Ventress was never a Sith apprentice.

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    My expectation for this is that it should be at the same level of quality as TCW season 5. If it isn't... then I will be a tad annoyed. TCW movie (as much as it really didn't do anything for me) at least had the excuse of being the first of it's kind (in terms of high production value SW cartoon).

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I really do not like the way the Wookies look.

Pro Scoundrel and Krueger like this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It does look very 'Disneyfyed'...

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Wookies look like really cute teddy bears.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If it's the same level of "quality" as TCW season 5, my review will need an asterix translator.

If it's the same level of quality as A New Dawn, OTOH...one of the few Star Wars books in which the characters have had me literally laughing out loud, and a book in which the Imperials are shown to be creepy and menacing, genuine threats...I will be a very happy Star Wars fan.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - if it's same quality as the latter seasons of TCW I would be more than happy with that... although from what we've seen so far, tonally speaking, Rebels is going to be a lot lighter.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Quoting something I posted in another thread...

Season 5. It's that kid in the back of the classroom who memorizes paragraphs from his college-aged older brother's term papers in order to try to impress the teacher. And scowls at the kids in the corner who are texting and shooting spit wads while the teacher is talking.

Whereas seasons 1 and 2 are the kids texting and shooting spit wads while the teacher is talking.

Seasons 1 and 2 were way more fun. That's what I want back.

Season 5 was completely humorless and full of itself.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    At least season 5 had good visuals.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought there was a certain amount of humour in the Youngling circus masquerade, and Hondo had his moments.

rumsmuggler and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't forget Hondo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.