main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ventress's comment about how not killing people is "the new me" raised a smile, as well.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Season 5 Ventress was my least favorite Ventress.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It seemed to me like a fairly logical extrapolation of Bounty.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She was a badass in Bounty. She seemed really different in The Wrong Jedi.

Her vulnerability was shown in the Nightsisters arc and I was fine with that, even enjoyed it; I like that she had a sympathetic background.

But she still seemed like Ventress.

In The Wrong Jedi, I wasn't even sure who I was watching. All the fight had gone out of her or something.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Comes of rejecting the way of the Dark Side maybe - she becomes less aggressive as a result. "Anger, fear, aggression, the dark side are they", after all.

Her refusal to deliver an innocent into the hands of a villain, may be her first major step away.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, well...I didn't like that version.

The last thing I want to see is a goody-two-shoes non-snarky Ventress. She doesn't have to be a murderous Dark Sider but she needs to stay interesting. Plenty of non-dark characters are interesting.

The show bore-ified Ahsoka; if it was doing the same with Ventress, best that it ended where it did.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall Ventress doing a little snarking at Ahsoka in their last episode together.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't there some snarking about a lightsaber?

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She did; I would have lost my **** if she had gone completely bland, in a "What the actual **** did you writers do to Ventress???" way.

I would say that direction adds to my concerns about the upcoming book but I'm not reading the book so it doesn't matter.

10. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well after braking up with Dooku she is no longer a villain by star wars standards, and apparenly good people don't kill (except the big three). Hopefully the Ventress novel will fix things.

11. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Almost as if it was a Disney show.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She could easily be in-between, and her personality should not depend on Dooku anyway.

Definitely counting on that novel to make things a hell of a lot worse, with their bringing in Vos to "fix" Ventress or something, and her being willing to let a man "fix" her. [face_plain]

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well let's hope not.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i can see ventress as a disney princess...
    [​IMG]

TKT, Sgt Crowfield, EHT and 1 other person like this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I dunno about this new series Rebels . I mean I like TCW cartoon , but this new show kinda looks the same , there's even
    another character with a double lightsabre .

I wanted Rebels to look different , more like classic SW . also I'm absolutely baffled as to why they're setting it before ANH , why not have Han Luke and Leia in a series ? they're the most popular characters , woefully underused .

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Part of the reason to avoid using the Big Three is to prove that they can have a viable series without using the movie characters.

I like the way Rebels seems to function... Watching the short 'The Machine in the Ghost' and the dynamic between Kanan and Hera immediately made me think of the whole Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn team in the Jedi Knight series.

Whats better is that Rebels is essentially a 'Dark Times' story. This is a good choice for the time frame because it means that it sort of isolates Rebels... since there isn't a full fledged rebellion or organization. They have to do things on their own.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, heaven forbid that double lightsabers are still used.

Because that's a story that will be told elsewhere. This story is about how the galaxy grows to resist the Empire's reign.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wish they would forbid it , I have had more than enough of it .

Darth Lurker and darklordoftech like this.
  20. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Anything better than that lame looking Thunderbirds look.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope that Ventress would pull an ARC Troopers or Bounty move on anyone who dared suggest that she wear a frilly pink gown.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I personally thought her "Bounty move" lacked self-control and restraint.

In Shadows of the Empire - Leia is confronted with a similar situation - and she only has to threaten, not kill.

In Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, Prince Xixor's niece, the primary candidate for leadership of Black Sun - when accosted in a similar way - pulls a gun but does not actually shoot - and the nuisance leaves.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read that book, but I will never suggest that a woman be required to use self-control or restraint when faced with a misogynistic waste of DNA who obviously believes he is entitled to treat women as objects.

I cheered when she stabbed him.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Murder (as opposed to killing in self defence) is generally not a good thing - not even of "wastes of DNA".

And how do we know that alien wasn't a female of that species? Nothing rules out the possibility of women treating other women as objects.

Would you have cheered if Luke had done to same to someone who did that to him?

tropes in play may be:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnmale

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PayEvilUntoEvil

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, that's Ventress for you. All snark and posture and little self control. She reminds me of the annoying character type they always seem to put in Bioware games, like Morrigan or Jack.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.