main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels: What would get you so mad you would switch off and never watch another episode?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Oct 4, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a native North Carolinian, I was making fun of my own accent. :p And I definitely have one; trying not to is pretty much pointless for me.

The worst mimicry of one had to be Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain though. Ye gods.

I don't mind accents as long as they are authentic to the actor.

2. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Ah, that explains it. Let's just say I didn't realize how little of an accent I have until I met my brother-in-law, who's from North Carolina. It doesn't really bother, me though, since like you said it's authentic and feels as such.

But, I doubt we will have to be subjected to the butchery that is Hollywood Southern in Rebels, thank goodness.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013

I watched No Country for Old Men over the holidays and the authentic accents were quite enjoyable, ESP the antelope hunter cowboy. So I agree.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

4. tutor71

tutor71 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2014
    if ahsoka was dead or evil that's what would end it for me.

5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If the Empire's past as the Republic isn't acknowledged.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If they continue to force making the Empire shallowly Evil which they probably will. Yeah, not likely to bother with it hardly at all. Don't care for a premise that tries to force me to think X is an unredeemable person.

7. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Credit to anakinfansince1983, if Rebels has Vader and Obi-Wan duel I would never watch it again. [face_sick]

8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Rex showing up and then getting unceremoniously offed.

Actually, make that Rex showing up at all. It could be the one thing that would turn me off SWTV animation for a long time.

Imagine a scenario in which Return of the Jedi was cancelled before it came out. Then imagine that Lucas moved swiftly on to Episode 7. In this alternate Episode 7, Anakin shows up, whether as a ghost or in corporeal form, with the actual portrayal of his defection from the Sith never shown like it would have been in ROTJ. This pivotal character moment is brushed aside, probably so that Anakin can guide a new generation of heroes.

That is what Rex showing up in Rebels would be like. We wouldn't get to see how he reacts to the specific command of Order 66, the events surrounding the Rise of the Empire in ROTS, and the 501st Legion's role in them. We wouldn't get to see the climactic culmination of all his experiences, from The Deserter to Orders. No, we'd just get to see hints of the aftermath, and then we'd see Rex provide some guidance to the new heroes before fading into the background. It would be an opportunity blown. A prolific character from the previous series simply becomes an eye candy cameo in the next one.

Rebels should not be a half-baked attempt to "tie up loose ends" from TCW; it should be its own story. Anything else would undermine both Rebels and TCW.

9. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    If it was all about force-users, non-humans and teenagers.
    Now, wait ... ;)

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think this is just an assumption on your part. It is possible that if Rex shows we could get a brief flashback to Order 66 or he could talk about what he did without a flashback. Actually, having him talk about it might be better than just showing it because then he can get into what was going through his mind at the time.

Seerow likes this.
  11. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Grievous Clones.

12. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    The focus of Rebels is almost inevitably going to be on the main characters, Ezra, Kanan et al. If he does show up in Rebels, Rex will almost certainly not have the primary focus like he did in the Umbara arc of TCW. That just isn't what the show is going to be, based on what we've heard about it being considered an extended story arc. Its cast of charactes is apparently not a rotating ensemble one like TCW's; it seems it's going to be much more narrowly focused, and there's nothing inherently wrong or inferior about this narrower focus. It is just an assumption, but it's borne out of the information given.

With Rex in a hypothetical Rebels appearance, the simple facts about his IU situation would immediately give away much about what happened during the events of ROTS. The simple fact that he'd be alive would give much away. His alignment - Imperial, anti-Imperial or neutral - would reveal much about what his actions during the events of ROTS were. Even extensive flashbacks and discussion would be essentially expository.

SW has often jumped around its timeline, but this is one instance where I think linearity would be preferable. Rex is a promising character for the Clone Wars era because of his ambiguity and the uncertainty surrounding his role in the events of ROTS. He's a 501st Legion commander in TCW, but TCW introduced a lower-ranked character who is known in the Expanded Universe to be the commander of the unit during the Jedi Temple raid. He's zealously loyal to the Republic, but he chooses to not report a clone deserter. He chooses to not carry out Krell's orders that he deems wasteful and unethical, and he ultimately arrests Krell for treason, all in the name of he Republic. Order 66 compliance is assured by a means which, out of all the clones, only Rex is aware of. He's undoubtedly one of the most well developed characters in TCW, even one of the most prominent of the original characters. Given his close connection with Fives, what does he do with the information that Fives gave him? Even with the Order 66 assurance means put aside, is he so loyal to the Republic that he would willingly partake in the Jedi Purge? Is the "system [the clones] fight for" which Rex extols in Plan of Dissent compatible with the Imperial system? To what extent does indoctrination shape his attitudes? How in-phase are his attitudes with the rest of the clones' like those of the perfectly amicable yet rigidly in-compliance Cody, Gree and Thire? He's a fascinating character with numerous questions hanging over him, and merely resolving his story in a post scriptum set in 5 BBY rather than in the Clone Wars era, I'd argue, would be a wasted opportunity.

Everything was organically building up to a climax. There really was no knowing the outcome of this Clone Wars era story. There's no getting around the fact that an appearance of Rex in Rebels would be post-climactic. Not even well-handled flashbacks and discussions could get around that. I would personally rather see Rex's story be left alone than be given an imperfect conclusion. There are many things I'd much rather see Rebels' writers do with their time than this.

Vthuil likes this.
  13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    QuangoFett hey, you know if it was up to me TCW would never have ended, and I agree that TCW continuing without Rebels starting up would have been better than how things turned out. You may be right that if Rex shows up they won't talk about what happened to him when Order 66 went down, or you could be wrong. I disagree that him simply showing up as a rebel or neutral would explain that. I think you'd be right if he showed up as an Imperial, but I get the feeling after all the attention they gave him throughout the series and the particular situations they put him in that they weren't going for that. Regardless, my main point is that even if you have good reasons to make that guess (which you do) it is still a guess.

Seerow likes this.
  14. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    On that we're in agreement. I'm not placing any bets on Rebels predictions.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the 501st isn't composed of clones.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

This is a good example, and it makes me think we need to go past the "between Epsiode X and Episode Y" mindset when considering future big animated projects. There are sound reasons to have a show set between II and III or between III and IV. There are also valid reasons not to use up all the interesting parts of the timeline all at once. But the between-episodes format is starting to feel constricting. I would like for future animated series to be able to cross one or more movies so we can interact with events like the blockade of Naboo, Battle of Geonisis, Order 66, destruction of Alderaan and the Death Stars, etc. using our animated cast as a new viewpoint on those events. It would have to be done with great skill and caution, but I hope the next show has access to some of the parts of the timeline covered by the movies.

Cevan and QuangoFett like this.
  17. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

That'd be great if they tried something like that. I'd love a series taking place before, during, and maybe even not long after Episode I, showing things like a young Maul, Sidious, Plagueis, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Dooku, and Sifo-Dyas. It could touch upon important points such as Sidious training Maul, the accidental creation of the Chosen One, Plagueis' death, creation of the clone army, Sifo-Dyas' death (showing Silman and the Pykes as well), and more.

18. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    If Darth Maul somehow survived being cut in half, and then dumped in a garbage hauler and left on a giant floating ball of garbage, and then found some spider/droid legs, and then somehow attached those legs to his torso, and then was discovered by some character with a laughable name comprised of two random verbs of negative connotation...

wait...

19. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    If Rebels constantly tries to tie in with TCW and the PT. SWR needs to stand on its own two feet if it's to be a success. As such, they shouldn't constantly tie themselves to the past.

20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    If the show gives the Grievous treatment to memorable antagonists like Vader, Boba Fett and Tarkin. Making them boring one note incompetent laughingstocks.

Ashoka showing up in any capacity whatsoever.

Cushing's Admirer and StrikerKOJ like this.
  21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Even if she were frozen in carbonite?

22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    That would depend on if they unfroze her or not. Though I still wouldn't like it because that would leave open the possibility of her appearing again.

23. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    1. Making everything too easy for the new kids on the block (constantly outsmarting everyone)
    2. Making Vader look soft and dumb
    3. Too much graffiti
    4. Making Kanaan extremely powerful as a force user
    5. Ezra using the slingshot after the 3rd episode.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm guessing 1 is pretty much a given, GoodHand but yeah I totally agree it'd be a huge turn off.

Lack of depth to the stories. Don't keep making war look like a game.

25. RandomGuardian

RandomGuardian Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    Agent Kallus and the Inquistor seem to exist so that Vader doesn't end up like Grievous, and on that note Agent Kallus seems to be the guy getting his butt handed to him with the Inquistor being their Dartth Vader figure.

I'd honestly like to see the Rebellion begin to succeed at harming the Empire with the last remaining Jedi Knights coming out of hiding to rally the men and women of the Rebel Alliance during the last season only to be defeated when Darth Vader shows up at the end of the show and smashes everything they'd been building up to throughout the series, killing the last of the Jedi and pushing the Rebellion to the brink of destruction with their only hope being A New Hope.

Ventrix and rdhight like this.