Saga Rebirth of the Light - The Years Between (Anakin Skywalker AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shinning_Star, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. MoAngel Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmmm, I guess the story ended while our backs were turned! Too bad, a wonderful fic it was.

Mo
  2. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, look at that. I still remember my username and password. Impressive.

No, the story hasn't ended. I know, it's been a terribly long time since a post, and I am a terrible person for not posting sooner. Real Life update?

I am attempting to graduate a whole year early from college. I am attending a second summer semester (ie, i have now gone six semesters of school without a summer break in between) and am working on grad school essays for apps.

The story is not over just yet. In fact, I am rather confident about the ending, and am simply trying to negotiate some time to get things written. So if someone would just occasionally pop in and 'up' this board, i would appreciate it, so it doesn't die while i'm not looking, and then when i *do* have a post, i don't come back to find i've no where to put it.

I'll get back to you as soon as i can!
    Caslia
  3. TorontoJediMaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow.

Great to see that you're back.

Was getting worried about you.
  4. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    I cannot tell you how tempted I was to make the first scene the very last post and just end it there. It would have been a perfect ending. *sigh* Unfortunately for me, there is yet still more to come, including the return of all previously introduced characters, a bit of rattle-tat boom in battle and a final, startling discovery.

Unless there are readers eager for this to end so they can stop waiting around for posts. Please inform me if so.

Also, you?ll notice the chapter name has changed, as this is now the 8th chapter in the RotL series. If anyone can happen to remember the original line, please let me know, as I borrowed it from somewhere and can?t quite recall where. I?d like to give the proper thanks to whom ever I stole it from. Some famous playwright, I?m sure.

Strangely enough, though not intentional, I believe this is one of the few posts that has a scene completely from a secondary character?s pov. Usually its from Anakin?s or Obi-wan?s, but this first scene is all Padme. And the second scene was totally unintentional, which is why it has little plot, no point, just some mushy stuff. And the scene after that?well, I think I might have gotten carried away. I was just having such a good time, laughing so hard and at one point having to reach for a tissue to dry my eyes, that any inappropriateness that might have occurred can only be blamed on the fact this was mostly written in the early morning hours. ;)

Chapter Eight:

Destiny, Thou Art A Fickle Creature

Four and a half years after Rebirth of the Light. . .

She knew she shouldn?t be overly worried when she awoke to find her husband?s side of the bed had its usual lack of occupancy. Anakin only occasionally slept in the same bed with her, usually choosing to sleep in Obi-wan?s room. It was a situation Padme had forced herself to accept after their return from Home One, but over a period of time it had begun to grate more and more on her nerves.

There came a point when allowing this sort of behavior was only feeding into Anakin?s feelings of loss of self worth. And besides, was it too much to ask to wake up in the arms of someone other than the empty sheets, or be gently called to consciousness by someone other than Threepio?

Padme didn?t think so.

And occasionally, for no special reason other than she bore him two adorable little children, fought by his side during the most turbulent years of their lives, put up with his incessantly moody flip-flopping between Sides of the Force and the thousand or so times she had certainly catered to his needs, it would be nice if something like breakfast in bed for his darling wife might pop into his thick Jedi skull!

When the moodiness associated with waking up alone (again) finally passed, Padme slung aside the covers and went to check on her children before going in search of her errant husband.

Though the lack of his presence didn?t bother her overly much, the fruitless search through the majority of their home, including the droid workshop and meditation room formed a crease between her eyes. It was far too early in the morning for him to have gone to the local market without telling her, what with the sun being barely over the horizon. Had a call come in from Home One and not wanting to worry her, Anakin taken off without a word?

Surely even a thick-headed nerf herder like her husband knew it was better to inform her of his absence than simply disappear like that.

Both children were fast asleep in their shared room, covers pulled up to their chins and angel faces dusted with the sweet innocence missing when they awoke to wreak their four-year-old havoc. Luke especially looked drained, but there was a gentle smile on his parted lips, and Padme felt some of her irritation melt at the sight. She knew Leia?s fiery spirit should concern her more, but the way Anakin always looked at his son, with boundless love and unexplainable pity, would have told any mother there was something more dang
  5. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Force Ghost

star 3
    Yay!!!!!!!!! a post. So glad to see this is continuing.
  6. Ladynaye Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Master

star 4
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!

[face_praying]

Keep 'em a comin'!!!

:D
  9. TorontoJediMaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay.

Our author is back.

I'm off to re-savour the post. :D
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Glad to see this one up and running again! :D
  11. LadyZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh! Here we go again! :D I'm soooo happy! Charming update, I loved it!

Thanks for the PM!!!
  12. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Now taking suggestions for Sabe's last name. If you happen to have found something on an official site, or just made it up, or read it on another fic, whatever, I need a last name. Let me know asap, i need it for the next post. Thanks.

Caslia
  13. TorontoJediMaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As far as I know, there's no last name for Sabe in canon.

Anyone else have any idea?
  14. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    *Grin, grin. Wags eyebrows* Guess what? Another post. Pretty soon, huh?

Best to read the following author?s note:

I mention Cato Neimoidia; it?s a real planet in the Expanded Universe, I didn?t make it up. Just in case you were curious. Hopefully you?ll get the Earth pop culture reference.

I realize Tie fighters and X-wings came much later in time, according to the original universe. However, let us consider for the moment that huge amounts of money were donated to the Rebel cause in the earlier chapter where the rebels? number swell due to the ?deflection? of Darth Vader. So it?s possible the alliance could have commissioned a squadron of X-wings. I have no explanation for how the Tie fighters are making such an early appearance. Just go with it, okay? It?s an AU anyway.

And despite all the stick the pilots give the ships, I love x-wings; they?re second only to the Falcon and Slave I in level of cool things that fly through space (and the tennis shoe in the ?77 version of ANH). I just loved the thought of how the original rebels might respond to their introduction.

And I realize the threat they are now facing is extremely cliché for an AU. But you know it?s gotta happen sometime. Beside, it?s a little more realistic than the sudden appearance of starships from twenty years in the future, right?

Also remember, in this AU, Anakin played no part in the raid on the Temple, as he was in surgery at the time.

Just a reminder from the last post?s author?s note, lots of characters from previous chapters are going to show up eventually, including but not limited to Shira Brie the medic, Tash from Warped Wards, Jan Sollik the rebel pilot, Han and Chewie (from the Emperor?s Interference chapter), Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Yoda and, of course, Sabe. I know it?s been a long time since of some of these characters have made an appearance, and OCs can be hard to keep track of, so this is your heads up for later on.

Chapter Eight:

X-wings. Tash eyed the new ships and laughed quietly to himself. What would the High Command think of next? He?d be surprised if these things ever got off the hanger floor, much less engaged the superior firepower of the Imperial ships in deep space. The Tie fighters had speed on their side, and required only the pilot to fly them.

These hunks of junk required an artoo unit, for Force sake!

?This has got to be some sort of really bad joke on Organa?s part.? He mumbled, running an expert hand over the hull. The ships had been adopted from a previous design used by a rebellion against their elitist class system on an outer rim planet. For that reason, speed hadn?t been a concern, as the fighters would have been attacking huge luxury cruisers attempting to flee the planet, carrying the affluent to safety from the furious swarm of the proletariat labor force. The rebellion had succeeded, but lacking in any strong organization or knowledge of galactic economics, the resulting regime had nearly collapsed. Bankrupt, they had sold to the highest bidder: the Rebel Alliance. ?At least we got to ?em before the Empire took ?em over. Not that they?re worth much.?

?Hey, used to be we didn?t have a mess hall to eat poodoo in, if you know what I mean.? One of Tash?s wingmen eagerly caressed the underside of one of the wings, then craned his neck to examine the S-foil attached. ?Isn?t it just the way of it? We finally get some ships that will hold together in deep space, and manage to get them fitted with hyperspace capability, and what happens? The Empire clambers down off our backs and all but disappears!?

?I heard they?re busy fighting each other.?

Tash?s one good eye and his other bio-engineered one Medic Brie had equipped him with raised to look up at the young mechanic who was at work on the droid port. The kid had been up there for nearly three hours now, trying to get everything set to go, a job Tash did not env
  15. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's a post! :D and a wonderful post indeed. Update again soon when you have the chance. :)

Edit: *stares at screen in disbelief* girl, can i say that you're the greatest? *goes off to read the new update.*

Edit 2: awesome, long, update :D A quick question though, is Han supposed to be only ten years older then the twins?
  16. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    I couldn't find a chronology online, and don't have my official guide with me, so i just went ahead and made him seventeen. That's only a tweleve and a half year difference, and we knew Han was a lot older than Leia anyway. I'm not overly concerned by it, as i simply needed him mature enough for what's coming up.

Caslia
  17. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Upping this, because only one person noticed there was an update a couple days ago. *sigh* I get complaints that this board is dead or the story ended, and then i post and almost no one notices. Where has everyone gone?
  18. JediElanor Jedi Master

star 1
    Hello Caslia!!!

You know I check the board very often, that you do... The thing is, I've been lurking most of these past months (as you can see by my posting history...) I have been checking regularly though, as I've always done, about once every two days, if not once a day... And have been praying for a new post. You can't imagine how happy I was when I realised that my wish had finally come true!!! You posted!!! and a good chapter at that! So here's to more posts and hopefully a happy conclusion to this story :)

I liked the two last posts... I will be reviewing them shortly... It's just that doing this at work isn't the best thing ;) So you should have my comments by the end of the week, if I manage to find enough time!

See you soon, and keep posting, you're doing great!

MTFBWY,

Clara
  19. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm...

write a post... [face_worried] ...or work on homework?
    ...post... [face_worried] ...homework...?
    Darth Vader... [face_worried] ...or Darth Real Life?

Perhaps I should simply procrastinate and do neither? That would solve the problem of having to decide one way or another, wouldn't it? *sigh* Life is so full of choices.

While I'm figuring this out, enjoy a free slushie on me. If anyone is on the west coast of the US, I hope you're keeping cool. Thanks to Elanor for replying.

Sith with good intentions... [face_worried] ...Sithly life with ambitions?
    Caslia
  20. Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Master

star 4
    Oohh, you brought in Han & Chewie!

=D=

Life is always better with them around!

:cool:

Looks like Anakin & Obi-Wan are going to start getting back into trouble!

o_O

Life is always better with them in trouble!

[face_laugh]

Thanks again for a great chapter!

[face_peace]
  21. TorontoJediMaster Force Ghost

star 4
    You wanna talk about hot weather?

Up here in Toronto, we have a heat wave with intense humidity...and my air conditioner is broken! I feel like I'm living on Mustafar!

Anywhoooo, loved the post.

X-Wings were definitely not seen yet at this point in the Civil War. The Y-Wing was likely still in prototype stage. Now TIE fighters, however, are seen -in an early version- at the end of ROTS. So, early versions of TIE fighters were still possible at this phase.

Loved the Jedi meeting. When you think about it, debates over whether to change or abolish the Code really don't matter. Yoda and Obi-Wan (the two surviving members of the Council) both think that it should be changed. Thus, they have the authority to do so. Plus, if any individual Jedi prefer the old ways...they would surely be free to govern their own lives like that if they so choose.

I can understand why Anakin might not be everybody's favourite Jedi right now. They might have accepted that he's turned back the Light Side, but some might still have some hard feelings. (That would only be natural). It'll be interesting if you show how the Order decides to re-organize. (i.e. How to change training methods, plan for Jedi to have families of their own, etc.) BTW, if they're planning on battling Sith or Dark Jedi with sabers, the more practical lightsaber techniques would be Makashi (Form II, which Dooku used. It was designed for saber-to-saber fighting. It was a classical style that fell out of practice as blasters became more common in the galaxy) and Djem-So (Probably the best overall style as it combines the impenetrable defense of Soresu -Obi-Wan's Form III method- with a more aggressive twist).

So, Sabe has brought back the first reports of the Death Star. Incidentally, it WAS caoable of hyperpace travel. (It could never have travelled to Alderaan and then on to Yavin if it wasn't). However, at this point it likely didn't have the hyperdrive ready yet. The main weapon, supposedly, was the reason it took so long to build. It was working out the schematics and engineering problems which caused the delays.

Hope we see more of Obi-Wan/Sabe soon. Hmmmmm. Don't you think Obi-Wan should make a romantic gesture. Perhaps[face_thinking] ...He should shave off his beard. Just think...He'd look like Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge.:D

Anakin certainly dropped a bombshell on the meeting with the news of Palpatine's demise. However, that doesn't mean that they should let down their guard. Whenever a despot falls, there are always scores waiting to step into his shoes...Plus, Palpatine likely had a new Sith apprentice waiting somewhere.

Can't wait for the next post. (Wipes sweat from face and waits anxiously for autumn).
  22. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Your aircon is broken? Poor TJM! I have an aircon set always at 65 and a mini fan sitting on my desk blowing right on me, so i can write every post in perfect comfort. :p

I realized that while I like the way this plot line is headed, and how the ending is going to turn out, compared to the ending of the original Rebirth of the Light (which i've more or less cancelled out) and how I originally planned for this one to end (but has now changed, which partially explains all the delays) I accidently cut out a part of the plot. A small part, but still. Hmmm...so, I really wanted it in there, but I can't quite figure out how to reattach it. So if something really unlikely happens in the future (and I'll let you know in the author's note before the post if it does) please just assume its me making up for a rather annoying blond moment, due to stress avec Darth Real Life.

Thanks for the replies!
    Caslia
  23. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, here we are again. I would just like to point out I have a ton of homework to be doing. And yet somewhere, my only thought at the moment seems to be ?I really want to write a post!? and can?t seem to concentrate on anything else. So, as strange as this sounds, the only way I?m ever going to get any work done is to write a post and get all of this out of my system.

On a side note, you might want to go to the official SW site, to the databank, and look up members of the Chagrian and Umbaran species. All others I?ve referred to have been pretty familiar, like Twi?leks, Wookies, Calamari and general humanoids.

Chapter Eight:

Well, Anakin thought as the voices around him melded into a thunderous demand for explanations, this wasn?t quite what I had planned.

But then, nothing ever seemed to turn out as he intended it to. He knew all it would take was a slight tapping of Master Yoda?s cane and the room would fall silent, so Anakin waited. Beside him, Obi-wan seemed to have fallen into a perplexed silence. But there was the smallest hint of a smile on his face, and Anakin could feel his friend?s mounting elation through the Force.

In the few seconds the din continued, Kenobi turned toward him, eyes wide and hopeful. ?How?? he mouthed.

?I?m sorry? Anakin sent back, sending silently that this wasn?t how he had wanted to tell his friend the news, that he had imagined the two of them alone, suddenly discovering all their years of being afraid, of preparing for the worst fight they had ever faced, maybe their last, would now never have to be faced. He had wanted that quiet moment of celebration between the two of them, who had lost so much because of the manipulations of one man, and had to struggle so hard to regain each other?s trust and friendship. ?Just us.? He mouthed in return.

With an understanding shake of his head, Obi-wan smiled. It didn?t matter now. They could have that moment later.

Above the voices, louder now as some of the Masters had stepped closer, the familiar tapping of Yoda?s cane could be heard and Anakin sighed in relief as the room immediately quieted. Knights and apprentices fell back, hushed anticipation radiating from their part of the room, as Masters, clearly embarrassed by their own outbursts, shuffled robes and regained their composure.

?Incredible news, this is.? Yoda remarked, somewhat unnecessarily, in the restrained calm that followed. ?If true this is, a great day for the Jedi, for the Rebel Alliance, and for the people of the galaxy, this is. Much, we have, to be thankful for, if no longer living is the Emperor.?

?If, said a voice in the back, ?he?s telling the truth. It could just be a trick by the Sith.?

Before others could begin to mumble, Obi-wan?s head snapped up. ?Hold your tongue,? he demanded. His voice was like ice. ?Do not blame Jedi Skywalker if your own talents are so poorly trained that you cannot feel the truth of his words in the Force. The Emperor is dead. And I will hear no more, from any of you, questioning Jedi Skywalker?s loyalty, or honesty.?

?Obi-wan,? Anakin counseled, laying a hand on his friend?s arm, ?they have every right to be cautious of me. Tread carefully; I will not see you shunned by your fellows because of me.?

?Our fellows,? Kenobi reminded him, but he remained tight-lipped and his cold eyes scanned the room for others who looked like they might speak out against his friend.

Despite gratitude for Obi-wan?s unrelenting loyalty, Anakin knew the other Jedi would probably remain forever cautious of him; something for which he could not blame them. He had done plenty to earn their lasting suspicious, and nothing to regain trust. What was worse was the knowledge that how he came to learn of the Emperor?s death could only be told to an extent, and his lack of being forthright would surely only convince some of their feelings toward th
  24. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
  25. Shinning_Star Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: Where is everyone?

Hello? *her voice echoes back off the walls of the empty board.*

Okay, that's just spooky.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.