main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebirth of the Light - The Years Between (Anakin Skywalker AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shinning_Star, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladynaye

Ladynaye Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
  2. JediElanor

JediElanor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    Come on Caslia, it's not completely empty, you know I'm still here, and the review will come later, I promise!!! But another very good chapter you gave us, here!

Have a nice day!!!

Elanor

3. Tom-sa

Tom-sa Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2003
    Hi Caslia,

It's great to see this story being continued.
    I lurk 99% of the time, but I thought I'd delurk and tell you your work is very much appreciated :)

Tom

4. Shinning_Star

Shinning_Star Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2000
    :D Tom! You just made my day! Thank you! :D

Caslia

5. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Great post.

It's so good to see that you're writing again.

Yup, her name is definitely pronounced "Sa-bay". I presume that type of pronunciation is a Nebulian trait.

6. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    Woo! *dances for joy* Summer finals are over!!! Yeah!!! Now I have three days before Fall semester starts. Time to dance a little, catch a flight to my other college, and get moved into my new apartment. So time for a post? Probably not, but you never know.

So, I've been thinking about NwD all day long. Literally. A pause between writing final papers meant a walk to the fridge for something to drink and a quick consideration of one of my fav fan fics. And i think it's time we all started posting on Kee's board again, you know, just to remind her there are people still sitting around, waiting for more. I am completely aware there are people waiting for RotL to continue (hey, it is! slowly...almost done, thou!) but Kee needs a little reminder of how much we love her. So please, take a moment out of your busy day, and stop by to up NwD. Thanks, luv ya for it.

Nothing much else to say, just thought I'd let everyone know that while I don't have the time at this particular moment to write a post, my thoughts haven't wandered too far away.

Caslia

7. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

Keeping the Faith!!!

Looking forward to your safe return to the story!!!

J_Q_M

[face_peace]

8. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jun 27, 2003
    X2!

[face_peace]

9. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jun 27, 2003
    X3 !!!

[face_peace]

10. JediElanor

Mar 20, 2003
    Come on Caslia, I know you're around here somewhere!!!

When are you going to finish your story??? it's getting hard not to be impatient about your not updating!

Hoping and praying for an update!!!

Elanor

11. ImperialRemnant

ImperialRemnant Jedi Master star 1

Jul 11, 2006
    Just found this story - its really really good

Upping in the hope that you'll find time to continue

12. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    O.O

A post.

I know; I couldn?t quite believe it either.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sorry it?s been so long between posts again.

Bear with me when it comes to anything dealing with the Maw. I don?t have my Planets and Locations book with me, and the StarWars.com databanks leaves much to be desired.

ooooo

Chapter Eight:

Destiny, Thou Art A Fickle Creature

ooooo

Four and a half years after Rebirth of the Light. . .

ooooo

The light in the council room was muted, casting a drab shadow over the faces of those gathered in the room. The great bay windows that looked out over the nearby villages and grass fields would have let the golden fire of a quickly fading sunset wash over Anakin as he stood at attention, but someone had thought to pull the great red drapes closed and shut them all into the darkness.

In this heavy gloom, he quietly informed the Council of recent events, ever conscious of the Jedi Masters? and their weighed stares.

?And exactly how did you come upon such?wonderful news, Jedi Skywalker?? Bail Organa?s question was phrased harshly, but his tone suggested he was more curious than accusatory. He was, as Padme had reminded her husband before the conference began, a friend of their family, and had been a long time. No need to feel like he was being hostile towards them.

Maybe then it was just the still-suspicious looks from some of the Jedi Masters, standing with Obi-wan and Yoda on one side the room, that had Anakin on edge. He stood in the middle of the room, unwanted center of attention, with the Council, backed by aids, generals, and his wife before him. The Jedi had gathered on the left side of the room, with rebels of different administrative positions in force on the right. The atmosphere, usually solemn and, it seemed to Anakin, tense, had turned into a buzzing confusion of whispers and sideways looks.

The meeting was going exactly as he would have predicted. The announcement of the Emperor?s death had taken the breath right out of most the Council members. Mon Mothma, who had been standing when the Jedi entered and from there been conducting the conference, had slowly sunk into her chair and an aide brought her water. He had been pleased to notice that none of the Council looked to the other Jedi as of yet to confirm his story; they had come to trust him, a familiar face while these strangers had spent the last few years in hiding.

Among the Jedi, only the Masters were in attendance, as the apprentices and Knights hadn?t the seniority in the Order to be present, their opinions on the matter unwanted. Anakin hadn?t had the chance to ask what the Jedi?s role was on the base. Clearly they were meant to be the vanguard in fighting the Empire, and probably expected to be privileged members of the Alliance allowed to attend the meetings of High Council members as they had with the Senators of the Republic.

Skywalker thought about how that probably wouldn?t be the case. Honored they might be for their Force powers, these Jedi had given up their right to have such a strong hold in the decisions of the freedom fighters when they had left the Alliance on their own. Only Obi-wan had remained, despite the danger, to help the fledgling government. As Kenobi?s friend, Anakin had earned his own place among the rebels. He had, after all, had a hand in bringing in the new recruits with his own deflection.

If he said the Emperor was dead, the Council would listen to him. If he suggested a course of action, they would seriously consider it.

He had earned respect. Anakin had admitted to his mistakes and taken responsibility for them. Thinking of how the Council, Organa and Mothma in particular, had then stood by him, how Brie and Solik and those in the Wards had accepted him, Anakin felt his previous confidence return. The Jedi might still try and stare him down, but he had proven himself.

?Meditation with the Force,? Anakin offered in response to Organa?s question. He knew the Jedi Masters all knew he was lying, but hadn?t it been Yoda to su

13. MoAngel

MoAngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    I thoroughly enjoyed this latest chapter. I hope it won't be months before the next installment comes out?

14. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
  15. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    ?Considering her training as a senator, her first reaction, after overcoming the initial shock, probably would have been to play the hostess and offer him tea.? :D :D :D

Great Ani-Obi scene and I loved Bail's reaction as well!

So good to see this story alive again! :)

16. Erin_21

Erin_21 Jedi Master star 2

May 27, 2005
    Mmmm, I wonder why I didn't saw this one before... maybe 'cause I was of the Star wars radar for a while ;)

I love this chapter and I can't wait to read more of it one day :), hugs!!! Be well and take care.

17. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    Sorry it?s been so long between posts again. I more or less convinced myself that I am too old now to be writing fan fiction and should focus on more serious issues. And for the past eight months or so, I had completely convinced myself. At the moment, my goal is to simply write all the rest of this story, and then post it up in sections, just to get it finished. It was weighing on my conscience and I couldn?t simply walk away leaving it incomplete after working on it for so long.

So, here?s hoping I get the majority of this story completed and you get to actually find out what happens. Obi-wan has a minor surprise coming his way, we might actually have a battle scene (a first for this fic), Anakin is going be tempted to power once again, etc. So if there is anyone out there still reading this after so long, hopefully you will find the next chapters worth the wait.

Just a brief reminder, this story doesn?t follow GL?s version of Ep. III, and I am playing with allowing the unlikely to happen, such as Boba Fett killing the Emperor and little Luke having special knowledge of the Force and the future. Also, in case you?ve forgotten, at some point this story has become plagued with OC?s, but OT and Prequel and book characters continue to show up as well.

ooooo

Chapter Eight:

ooooo

ooooo

Dinner was going well, Anakin decided. The food was delicious, the twins were behaving themselves, and so far, the conversation hadn?t been interrupted by any code-red situations.

Padme had offered for the other three Jedi to join them, but an hour watching the twins while their parents attended the earlier Council meeting had Reckin and his companions graciously but firmly declining.

?I don?t know what they?re complaining about.? Sabe said as she passed a plate of mashed tubers around the table. ?For children with so much power, I think Luke and Leia are very well behaved.?

Obi-wan shrugged. ?Reckin, Ashia and Balev are young enough that they probably hadn?t reached the age as padawans that they were expected to help the youngling at the Temple. It?s unlikely they?ve been around Force-sensitive children for any great length of time. We?re all learning to adjust to having other Jedi in our lives again.?

?Well, they?re just going to have to get used to it.? The agent replied. ?I think it would be wonderful if there were lots of children like Luke and Leia running around.? She quickly reached for her cup and took a large swallow. ?I mean, the Jedi Masters will surely find children to train, won?t they??

?And,? Padme added, missing her friend?s embarrassment, ?if the Jedi do decide to throw out the rule of no attachments, I suppose Jedi like Reckin and Ashia could have children on their own.?

?Imagine that. What do you think, Obi-wan??

?What?? The Jedi Master raised an eyebrow, a silent refusal to be goaded.

Anakin, who had so far stayed out of the conversation by monitoring his son and daughter?s eating habits, grinned. ?Yes, Obi-wan. What do you think about Jedi children??

Playing it safe, the Jedi lowered his head and focused on cutting another bite. His brow furrowed in a way that told his former apprentice that Kenobi was thinking of how to deal with this sensitive matter without actually having to become involved. Pushing peas onto his fork, he smiled that knowing, sly Kenobi smile and spoke before slipping the vegetables between his lips.

?Leia and Luke are a gift from the Force.?

Sabe frowned. ?That didn?t answer my question. What do you think about other Jedi having children??

?Well, I suppose if the Order decided to remove the rule against attachment, then there are those who might choose to have relations and children might result. And I am not against attachment. Considering the past few years, I feel that would be a little hypocritical on my part.? He smiled, but Sabe continued to frown, her look silently condemning.

Padme glanced back and forth between her two frien

18. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    Two posts in one day? *shrugs* To quote Hodges from CSI, "That's just the beauty of me." But don't get used to it, either.

I know Thomas isn?t Admiral Piett?s first name, it actually is something more like Firmus, but I don?t feel like looking it up. And the name of the Jedi Qui-gon was in love with is T something, but I don?t feel like looking that up either. If someone would like to post the correct answer in their replies to this post, I would take the effort to make the necessary changes. Is that hypocritical of me? I don?t think so. I think the readers can occasionally help write the fic, even if it is only in small ways.

This also ends the ?Destiny, Thou Art? chapter. We?re entering the ninth Chapter, ?Individual Journeys? chapter. Just FYI.

ooooo

Chapter Eight:

ooooo

ooooo

The conference room provided for the Jedi was not one of the customary ones used by the rebels. Because the base had been built into the sides of the large hills that made up the Thanatian landscape, the majority of the rooms, including the Council?s chambers, the common rooms and individual quarters, were all more or less underground. The hangers took up the majority of the sides of the hills, so there was little space for rooms with windows to be incorporated. The effect this had on the base was the rebels felt as though they were living not in large hills connected through underground tunnels, but in space ships so large that they couldn?t feel the rumble of the engines through the hulls.

For special occasions, the Alliance had built a few rooms that included windows. One of these was the official meeting room of the High Council, which boasted a set of large bay windows. The other room was at the top of one of the hills, just below a level of top soil. The window was more a skylight that had been laid right overhead, so that the sunlight flooded the room. The usual featureless conference table and chairs had seemed out of place, so they had been replaced with a series of plush chairs removed from Coruscant and low-lying wood tables hand-carved by the local inhabitance.

It was as close to the Jedi Temple as Obi-wan knew any of them were going to get.

Allowing himself the luxury of a stuffed leather seat, Kenobi waited for his companions to get comfortable. Master Yoda dragged over a round foot stool and climbed on top, while Master Gharlin took seat nearby. It looked awkward: Jedi Masters who had once lived in simplicity now reclining in salvaged opulence from a faded era.

Above them, the night sky twinkled. The local populace had already retired to their beds, and following Alliance protocol of blackouts, this late in the evening the lights from the hangers had been dimmed. Rather than turning on the overhead lights, Gharlin had brought a single portable light with him. It cast a pale light on the room, giving the meeting an eerie quality.

?First meeting of the Jedi Council, in five years, this is,? Master Yoda spoke into the near darkness. ?Nearly destroyed, were we. Many died. Many that thought, I did, might one day sit on the Council, here they are not. Much has changed.? The little Jedi sighed, feeling his age. ?And change with it, we must.?

?We clearly don?t have a choice in the matter,? Gharlin added, looking stern. ?I do not like this.?

Obi-wan shifted uncomfortably, wishing, not for the first time, that Anakin had agreed to come with him. ?What, exactly, is it that distresses you, Master Gharlin??

The other Jedi sighed and closed his eyes in a way that reminded Kenobi of Mace Windu. ?I have long admired you, Master Kenobi. Your efforts in the Clone Wars. Your dedication to democracy during the galaxy?s most turbulent times. You are, without a doubt, one of the greatest Jedi of your generation.? Obi-wan nodded at this praise, and waited for the other shoe to drop. ?However,? Gharlin continued, ?You wish to make changes to the Code, a set of laws that the Jedi have followed for ten

19. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jun 27, 2003
    :eek:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Updates!!!! It lives!!!!!!

I've been soooo busy of a late I haven't been able to keep tract.

Sorry, sorry.

:rolleyes: o_O

Oh, Obi-Wan & Sabe. When will these two get it right?

:)

I loved your introduction of Han and 'the big walking carpet'.

=P~

Hungry for more!!!

20. JediElanor

Mar 20, 2003
    *Walks in*

*Drops dead*

*gets back up and looks in fear*

Noooo, an update, it's impossible, this MUST be a trick! Yes, a trick! Plus, it's even worse, two updates in a day????? I must hallucinating or something, or I am being taken over by the Dark Side!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Jokes apart, It's been so long, I had almost given up all hope! Never do that to me again Caslia, do you hear? I won't be able to bear it! I swear, I'll leave you!

By the way, sorry for replying so late, I knew there had been an update, but them being so long, I just didn't have the time to read them all until now.

*Praying for more updates and a completion soon ;)*
    By the way, if you need help, don't hesitate to ask me! I'm always glad to give a hand!

Have a nice day, update soon and MTFBWY,

JediElanor

21. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    Hello and welcome back to the Rebirth of the Light Series! I hope you all have been enjoying your summer, either spending it making some extra money, or simply enjoying your time hanging out with friends. Personally, I have been spending my time taking additional classes. I start grad school in a month (whoot!) and am presently taking some courses related to my area of interest. Should any readers be in the Palo Alto, CA area, or even on Stanford campus, I?d love to hear from you. Any readers in New York, NY, I?m headed your way!

Yes, I am rambling. I?m in a rather cheery mood (what can I say? I had an excellent hair day :p ) which promoted me to put some of my good humor into writing a post. That doesn?t mean the post will be cheery, of course. But I feel motivated, and that?s the important thing. So! Before the author?s note becomes longer than the actual post, let?s pick up where we left off?interestingly enough, we?re basically still on the same day for the characters that we were some four or five posts ago. In fact, the entire 8th chapter, Destiny, was basically the same day. Huh?wonder how that worked out. Anyways! Moving on!

(On a side note, has anyone ever noticed that if you write Yoda-speak properly, it?s not grammatically incorrect? What I mean to say is, the little green line on Word never shows up underneath. My computer recognizes the accuracy of Yoda-speak, but there are plenty of legitimate words in the English language that it simply can?t comprehend. Such as untucked. Is untucked not a word? If it isn?t, it should be. So should decidingly. I think decidingly should be a word.)

ooooo

Chapter Nine:

Individual Journeys

ooooo

Five years after Rebirth of the Light. . .

ooooo

The YT-1300 docked in hanger bay A45 was not very much to look at. In fact, it looked less like a space-worthy craft than what Jawas might have designed as a condo beach house if Tatooine was ever able to boast anything resembling an ocean. All across the hull, Obi-wan could see where the young pilot and his Wookie companion had been making modifications, and while their updated artillery outranked some of the newer fighters owned by the Rebellion, this was one ship the Jedi did not want to be trapped in during a fire fight.

But, as the diminutive Jedi Master at his side had constantly reminded thousands of Jedi Padawans over the years, size didn?t matter, and looks could be deceiving.

?That?s the ship the boy claimed to pilot.? He said as he and Yoda cautiously approached the ship. ?Perhaps I should ask around if any of the other suppliers are familiar with them?? He looked halfheartedly around the deserted hanger. On Thanatian time, it was well into the middle of the night, nearly early morning, and no one was around.

?Urgent, the boy said it was. Asked for me by name, he did. Investigate this we should, should immediate action the situation require.?

There was no arguing with that.

Besides, there was no reason to delay. After an entire day of conferences, Kenobi was exhausted, but he dreaded the thought of going back to his quarters and finding the bed empty. After their little spat at dinner, if it could even been called that, Sabe would probably choose to sleep in her own quarters tonight. He would have to wait until in the morning to apologize to her, and that left him with only his confused discomfort to share the bed with.

Approaching the lowered ramp, Obi-wan fought back the urge to rest a hand on the hilt of his lightsaber. He hadn?t sensed anything threatening from the unusual pair earlier, but that didn?t mean there wasn?t trouble in the future.

Be mindful of the present, Obi-wan.

The memory of Qui-gon?s instructions came floating up from the back of his mind, and in keeping with the instruction, Kenobi pushed the voice away and concentrated on listening for voices coming from inside the ship.

It was all very quiet.

?Hello?? Obi-wan called, striding halfway up the ramp. The Force told him both the boy and the Wookie were aboard, but when th

22. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    On a side note, if there are any Bob/Sos readers still floating around, you might notice that I haven't posted on the story for four years now. I even locked it, and can't figure out how to unlock it. But I thought you might want to be kept up to date, so here is an author's note about that story that I posted on my fanfiction.net site:

Posted Last week:

Hello, everyone. A reader sent me a pm asking about Sharing of Sisters and whether or not I intended to finish it. And there has been a slew of new reviews, as well as readers adding this particular story to their favorites. So I thought I might attach this quick author?s note to let you know just what?s going on.

As you might have noticed, Sos hasn?t been updated since 2003. Seeing as it?s been four years since there?s been a new post, it seemed as little ambitious of me to even suggest this story is still a ?work in progress,? but I suppose that?s what you could consider it. I stopped writing Sos for a number of reasons, one being that I had complaints about the original characters. Cali Starshine was likened to a Mary Sue, which isn?t all that incorrect, except I would hope she doesn?t fit the usual profile, and also because at some point she got away from me and went off to do her own thing in the story. Another reason is because I wrote the supposedly short piece Rebirth of the Light, and then got the crazy idea to write the story that happened after it (or between the second and last chapter) and am still working on that. I actually prefer RotL to Sos, which is why all my energy has gone into that. Also, my studies dictate more or my time than ever before, and I just don?t think I can work on more than one fic at a time.

Now for the question of will I ever finish Sos? At the moment, the answer is pending. I should know by the end of summer 2007 whether or not to bother. Because if I did, there would be a lot of revision work. I?m not at all happy with Bob any more, and the first chapters in Sos also need some serious cleaning up. I really just need to take down the whole thing, rewrite it, and then repost it. But then, would the readers be willing to reread chapters? Is it worth it when the first part, Bob, is just so crappy, to bother to go back and work on the second? There?s also the question of the final chapter. If I did finish Sos, then I would probably have to write the third part of the series, the Challenge of the Children. And when I could go on to write other stories, better stories, not involving original characters, why would I continue with this series. It also makes more sense to rewrite all of Bob, with improved writing style and no original characters, then to continue with this fic as it presently is. These are all things I?ve got to work into whether or not I go on with Sos.

However, there is a little bit of good news. If I decide not to write Sos, I will post up a final chapter that is a detailed summary of what would have happened to the characters if I had completed the series.

Posted This Week:

I will not be finishing Sharing of Sisters. I will, however, put up the detailed summary of what would have happened had I actually gotten around to it. I think that?s only polite. I can?t tell you how many fics never get finished and I was dying to know what happened, and even though I am well aware the author is probably never going to post again, their story is still saved under my Favorites, in files specially marked for Star Wars fan fiction. (I?m somewhat obsessive compulsive, so just imagine all the little sub-folders and sub-sub-folders in which everything has been complied). That being said, that does not mean that once RotL is finished, that I am done with fan fiction. In fact, just the other night, I was supposed to be working on a political science paper, and suddenly had such a compelling story idea, I actually started writing the first post before I realized what I was doing!

I will have that promised Sos summary up soon. I was reading over the past post a few days ago, while deciding whether or not I had

23. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Please finish SOS [face_praying] I've been bad at reviewing and catching up, i'm sorry. Would it help if i told you how to unlock the thread? All you have to do is to go to your very first post and press the edit button and then when the screen changes you will find a little box near the body of the post that says lock and you simply need to uncheck it.
    Please, please, please, finish SOS [face_praying] I don't like being left hanging, summary or not. I won't finish catching up if you don't continue it.

24. Shinning_Star

Oct 27, 2000
    Should have time to work on a post this weekend, and then more free time next week. Luckily I only have one final this semester, and then it's off to New York! Kind of bummed that the summer is over, because I won't be back to Palo Alto for some time, but also totally thrilled that fall is on the way; it's my fav time of year. I just know the Halloween parties in NY are going to rock. Hmm...maybe I'll go further north to New England, to see all the leaves change color and find a couple of spooky haunted houses! If anyone is in Missouri this October, you've got to visit Necropolis Haunted House, where I used to work. We're number one in Missouri and rated number twelve in the nation by Yahoo! Visit Necropolis Haunted House, where terror never felt so good! [face_pumpkin] And if you do, tell Jen that The Bat sent you; maybe you can get a free t-shirt.

Ciao!~
    Caslia

25. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This is an awesome story. Glad I found this one.

Please add me to the PM list for this.

EG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.