Rebirth Reviewed! (spoilers-Major!) or NJO: Becoming What It Ought To Be

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jul 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Hi,

I have just finished Keyes master work, thus a review.

What? No spoiler warning? If you're here, you've already disregarded the sole one you had, none get a second.

First, page count is 292 pages but don't that dissuade you.

Second, as an NJO critic, how can I like this book? Very easily in fact for, on the list of charges I have levelled against NJO, this book begins to answer them:

*The balance: Begun in BP and EOV1:C, this is more hopeful and even still. The YV are far from as strong as they appear. The balance of light and dark is more like a balance, the Vong still have the edge but there are glimmerings of hope. Contrast this to the absolute dark of NJO yer 1 (Books 1-5).

*The gore: Though it made a brief, but finely executed, return in Conquest, here the violence reaches its nadir in explicit depiction, with DTII:R as its zenith. Don't think the book isn't violent, it is!

*The people: One charge I laid at the NJO was that it was all bad: all corrupt leaders, people, bad business. In this book, that starts to change, we see a few peple willing to support the Jedi, some who are not taken in by the Vong. They are very few, but their prescence is much needed and bodes well for the future.

Moving on to the story itself:

*H & L fans rejoice, for the double team are back in action with a vengeance, with both geting excellent one-liners, courtesy of Keyes writing. This man has delivered the best Han and Leia in a long time.

*The Jacen-Han conflict is ended in a most uplifting manner.

*Corran Horn is back in action and we see him portrayed by someone other than Zahn/Stackpole and he seems far less annoying as a result.

*Vergere is involved, all I will say of her art is: good dog, sit, heel, stay, betray.

*Tsavong Lah is as obsessed with Jacen as ever and starts hunting the Falcon, how dos he know the connection? Ah, that'd be telling...

*The Vong have a major loss inflicted on them by Jyp, Jaina and the Rogues. wedge and Gavin are both here, Wedge being his usual commanding self. His verbal decking of Kyp is quite amazing to read.

*Talking of Kyp, he finally gets some much needed developement, with the stage being set for a potential confrontation with Luke in SBS.

*Fey'lya and Kre'Fay are both around, the latter getting involved in the destruction of a Vong worldship.

*Yag'Dhul is attacked by the Vong, but is defended due to Corran, Anakin and Tahiri. Chalk up another screw up for Nom Anor, who was attempting to do at Yag'Dhul, what he did on Duro, get it to capitualte to the Vong.

*Luke's child is born.

*Mara is ridden of the Vong disease, totally! How? Just read, it is a stunning bit of work by Keyes. Not least due to a return of an an old friend?

*Finally, Overlord Shimmura comes onto the stage!

So, the impact of this on NJO?

Amazing. EOVII:R destroys the claim made by DR that only the hardbacks would have major events. It also shows that authors can write a wide spanning story, both in terms of charcters and locations. It is the first one that comes close to showing NJO as a galaxy wide conflict. It shows that no characters have to be neglected with sufficint story telling skill being utilised.
    It completes the restoration begn by BP, after the damage wrought by DR ill thought out experimentation with the SW franchise in early NJO. It raises it further by having an excellent story. It breaks the '2nd book curse' that has dogged the NJO duologies.

2 other things:

It IS worth buying, in the same way BP was worth buying.

The cover is far better than any previews have led us to believe.

Coming in the wake of this, Star By Star should be a superlative work to rival the best of SW EU.

Further, it should be a book that all of those of us that have followed NJO, supporters and critics alike, should love, if Denning displays the same skill for balanced story telling as Keyes has here.

Let it be so!

And let the discussion begin!

Jedi Ben
  2. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Let me be the first to say...
    "I told you so."

:p
  3. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Genghis,

"Watch your mouth kid or you'll fnd yourself floating home." :)

Jedi Ben
  4. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I take it Jyp is Kyp :)

I love this. Kyp, Wdge, Jaina and the Rogues, together. Its almost heaven
  5. marajade91 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    hey dude thx but dont anakin and tahiri kiss? i heard that was true. can u confirm???
  6. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    I don't think so.

It was a quick read, on the train home, after work (and I'm talking cruddy UK trains here), so I might have missed it, being more interested in "the big picture" to quote Holland. [any Angel fans here?]

Jedi Ben
  7. bespinct Jedi Knight

star 1
    Awe man...where can I get mine!
  8. Bogga Jedi Master

star 4
    Man this book sounds good. I'll go hunt for it when I finish reading Starfighters of Adumar for the first time. I'm especially glad we get see development in Kyp's character as he has become a fun/controversial guy in my opinion. I'm looking forward to Wedge's comments concerning him too.
  9. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    What else happens to Mara? Is she completly cured jsut by giving birth to the child? How soon into the book does she give birth? Where is the child born?

PM if you'd like!

Mazzic
  10. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    All I'll say Mazzic is:

The whole sequence is at the end, where else? Mara is totally cured of the disease.

But....

I'm not telling how! This HAS to be read, I liked the resolution a lot and there's no way I'm spilling the beans.

Jedi Ben
  11. anyueman Jedi Knight

star 1
    The kiss is real, but the love is not. ;)

Jedi Ben, you did miss it. The locker, remember the locker!
  12. Darth Thrawn Jedi Master

star 3
    Jedi Ben - u in london, me in london - u can probably gues where im heading

Where did you get your copy?????
  13. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Darth Thrawn:

Go to Murder One Bookshop, Charing Cross Road, near Leicester square tube just up from Comic Showcase.

Descend into the basement, if the Force be with you, the book you will have. You will not need your weapons! :)

Jedi Ben
  14. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm in a patient mood, so I haven't gone crazy looking for the book. If I'm in a bookstore, I take a quick look, but that's about it.
  15. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Does Luke give his reasons for choosing the name Ben?
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Not that I can see, but I can work out why he might have done so but you'll have to read the book to find out.

It's to do with one of the cryptic allusions I made to an old friend returning in my initial post, it is a big surprise and I wish to let it blow people away in the way it did me.

Of course, you probably know to what I refer to anyhow Gatherer, with the sources you have, surely?

Jedi Ben
  17. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The words Kyp and character development in the same sentence. :) Major confrontation with Luke potentially being ready to come to a head? :) :)

Kyp had better injure Wedge somehow. :)

It would be nice if my extent as an NJO critic is only limited to the first year.
  18. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have sources . . . but believe me, I am not a Talon Karrde! :)

This is a spoiler thread . . . so, please divulge! :)
  19. Darth Thrawn Jedi Master

star 3
    Im speachless, thank you, thank you!!!
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    OK, Here goes Gatherer:

Mara is healed of the Vong disease by both Luke and her child aiding her in a Force bond. As this happens Luke sees various futures and begins to fear for his wife. I quote:

"All futures exist in the Force, a familiar, impossible voice suddenly said. You do not choose the fututre so much as it chooses you. Do not look for answrs there.
    'Ben?' Luke croaked, stunned. It couldn't be Ben, of course. That time was long gone, and his old Master was truly one with the Force, unreachable, and yet..."-p.273

They had not yet decided on a name beforehand, after this I reckon Luke settled on Ben.

The big Q is: Was it Ben? much like the Q of Bp is was it Anakin [Vader[ talking to Jacen?

Oh and GAW, it might be your time as NJO critic is limited to Year 1, but, ever in motion is the future. :)

Jedi Ben
  21. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Page 273, well that is rather close to the end. I am so glad that pesky disease is FINALLY GONE! Thank you, whoever decided on that!

22. marajade91 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    anyueman--or however u spell it--wut do u mean the love is not real???
  23. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ::is confused:: I couldn't tell if that was a joke or not.
  24. marajade91 Jedi Youngling

star 1
  25. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    nice review . a am tottaly exited about rebirth. one qustion whats vergre do in rebirth. And when are we going to see the chiss kick some vong butt. be looking forward to anything else from you about the NYO
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.