main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Reboots You'd Like to See

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sometimes I see movies or TV shows that have stories with a lot of potential, but the production just doesn't live up to the story. So ITT, let's share our thoughts for shows that deserve a second chance.

Star Trek: Voyager Interesting premise, let down by uneven writing, unlikeable characters, and unimaginative production. Let the characters have some real long-standing disputes among each other, like DS9, and chuck the cosmic reset button out the airlock.

Eragon No, it's not an original story, but it could have been fun to watch the classic SW saga play out with dragons. If only it had been more... well... watchable.

The Hobbit There are moments in PJ's trilogy that are just sublime, but those are utterly betrayed by the excesses of unrestrained blockbuster filmmaking. I'm sure a good professional film editor could make huge improvements to the trilogy, but I think it needs a reboot.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century The concept of a modern man adapting to life in the 25th century has some serious story potential, if it's not wasted on silly space opera action and lame attempts at comedy.

Cutthroat Island Fantastic score and classic pirate story, but the acting and production somehow failed to put me on a pirate ship full of scurvy dogs.

And what do you want to see rebooted?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Highlander -- if there was ever a great idea that was ripe for using a) modern fight-choreography and b) modern VFX, this is the prime candidate.

The Last Starfighter -- preferably as a sequel than a reboot, but conceptually ripe as well. Updated FX, dealing with MMOs (similar to what America's Army tried to do in the real world, as possibly the subject of Ernest Cline's Armada).

Conan the Barbarian -- hard to top Ahnuld, Mako, and JEJ, but it can be done. Just not like how they did it the last time.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Star Wars - Just to see what happens here. Preferably after I've stepped down, though.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That is pretty much what I came here to post, even though I still really like the original.

Also, I'd like to see someone take another crack at a Spawn movie, since comic book movies continue to be all the rage.

5. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    American Ninja - but more like a sequelboot.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ReBoot season 5.

7. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    An American version of Russian Ark would be really interesting, they could film it in the White House.

I love the Fast & Furious movies, but after 7 films the continuity has gotten a little complicated, and with Paul Walker being gone, that makes things more difficult, so I think they should just start fresh. New, young cast, remake the first movie and then depart from there.

Rashomon just begs for a remake. This might sound a little weird... I always thought it would be interesting if it was done from just one character's perspective, could bring a fresh interpretation to the source material!

Would love to see a reboot of Ben-Hur. I know it's classic, but the story is really prime material for revisiting and would benefit a lot from modern film-making technology and sensibilities.

Whiplash was great, obviously a critical success, but I would really like to see an all-female reboot of that. Meryl Streep as the JK Simmons character would be my first pick, but I think other actresses could do the role justice.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, I don't mean to imply that Ricki Bobby isn't correct and Highlander is not the greatest movie ever made; just I'd be interested in seeing a modern-updated version of that since Christopher Lambert is blind and can't swing a sword well...

rumsmuggler likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Starship Troopers CGI has come a long way since it was filmed, so they ought to be able to do justice to putting the Mobile Infantry power armor on screen. (Iron Man, anybody?) And plotwise, for the love of all that's literate, read the &*%^*&(&^ing book!

rumsmuggler and FatBurt like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd contend if your gripe with Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is its lack of faithfulness to the source material you've missed The Point (TM).

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    After suffering through that terrible live action Animorphs TV show, I'd love to see an animated reboot.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I, Robot

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Preferably without the fourth rate hack Will Smith I assume?

14. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Keep Will Smith, lose the robots.

tom likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You forgot one.

Gender-swapped The First Wives Club to The First Husband's Club, about late-middle-aged bohunks complaining about their sugar mamas trading them in for younger models...

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Star Trek, Set during the Romulan War of course.

TRON. Full Reboot with a multiracial cast.

E. R. Burroughs vision of Mars. That means get naked and violent!

X-Men and F4 finally in the MCU.

18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    John Carter is perfect. If this were the sequel the sequel thread you would be right.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Blue Thunder. OR, place Blue Thunder and Airwolf in the same universe and sell Airwolf an a continuation of the program that produced Blue Thunder then just make the sequel and call it Thunder Wolf with a badass megafuturistic helo.

Sarge likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

[​IMG]

Interesting list. Curious about this entry, partially because the movies are not that old (compared to many movies that get rebooted). I definitely know what you mean about The Hobbit movies, but I'm not sure how I'd propose redoing them in a way that would definitely yield better results. Would one part of this for you be making it just one or two movies instead of a trilogy?

Drac39, soitscometothis and Ramza like this.
  21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The hobbit didn't have any robots in it.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I'm sure the story could be told effectively in one or two films, but I'd have no objection to a trilogy, if - big if! - the tone matched the book and there were no scenes that a nine year old would dismiss as juvenile humor.

I got the point; it was delivered with all the subtlety of a thermonuclear sledgehammer. It's still a crappy movie.

Master_Lok and EHT like this.
  23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hellscape.

DarthTunick , Ramza and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know Game of Thrones isn't over yet, but I would like to see an ASOIAF adaptation done by competent writers. Preferably animated. And preferably after GRRM finishes the ****ing thing (yes, I know, wocky, Rogue_Ten, et al.)

Ender Sai and Point Given like this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Battle Beyond the Stars

Sarge likes this.