main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The people who make Commander says the units and places are canon, but not player-generated events.

"Since we were already talking about story, I had to ask: is Star Wars: Commander going to be considered canon? After all, Disney and Lucasfilm said back in April that Star Wars games would be considered canonical going forward. The answer? Yes and no. While you'll encounter famous Star Wars icons like Han Solo and travel to places like Tatooine with its Tusken Raiders, those elements are of course canon, but the player-created situations are not.
    "I think what we at Lucas....we have a story team that we work very closely here with," Lucasfilm executive producer Matt Fillbrandt says. "And I think games offer a unique opportunity for storytelling that you don't necessarily get of other, linear storytelling devices like books or TV shows or movies; which is exciting in that we have the opportunity have player choice like we have with this game. Am I going to be on the Rebel side or the Empire? So we don't really look at it from a canonical standpoint because the player is effectively making up their story and their experience.""

As for Chee, unless he says "This is Legends", then it's canon. Legends is for non-canon stuff and he doesn't state that anywhere for Commander.

EU stuff: There's a reference to Arkanis and its "office academy" in Vision of Hope.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks for that clarification, Tzizvvt78. I think I may have read that at some point and forgotten it, since I vaguely remembered the attempt to separate out the "canon elements" from the "player created situations." Though sometimes, especially in a case like Commander, I think that's not quite as easy a separation to make as it sounds.

Hmmm, I was under the impression the process was exactly the reverse of that. Material doesn't default to canon, it becomes canon after the Story Group approves it. It's a moot point though, since either way there won't be new Legends content going forward (except for TOR expansions and Fantasy Flight Games material, I suppose).

Even as I say that, though, I wonder. AFAIK we don't have word on the canonicity of non-Databank content on the official site (such as Tim Veekhoven's recent article about Yavin 4 rebels), do we?

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    They said everything made after April 25th last year, is canon. Except the Handbook, or TOR. When we don't hear anything, it's canon. The Databank? It's no longer the Encyclopedia with ties to Wookieepedia. It has to be canon since they changed it after June last year and now it's just a Databank with a Disney logo. Can't be more canon than that. Disney even removed trivia galleries in the same site update, so there's no reference to things like Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders in the Trandoshan arc anymore. They have to keep it scant until they can figure things out. That's why the Databank has very little info beyond basics. It did give us Trandosha and Manaan in a couple of profiles.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also the The Star Wars Official Fact File reboot - which is heavy on Legends info, and is still coming out. That's "ongoing Legends"- perhaps because it's not completely new stuff, but only old stuff being described in more detail.

Ewok Poet and The Positive Fan like this.
  5. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Can you source that? I think they've made it pretty clear that canonicity has nothing to do with release date and everything to do with approval by the story group. Now, maybe we're talking about the same thing - everything from April 25 onward is reviewed by the story group and is thus canon. But even if that's the case, there are still anomalies, like the "Official Fact Files" magazines Iron_lord mentioned. I think the bottom line is it isn't always entirely clear what the story group is approving and what they're not.
    I agree. The Databank is 100% canon. It's the non-Databank content on the official site that I wonder about.

6. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Disney's representatives said last April that everything moving forward is canon. There is a difference between the Handbook or TOR which were started before, and articles like this, which gets made every week. I assume Disney doesn't want their "guides to..." articles on their new SW official site to be anything but gospel at this point.

Tim Veekhoven's articles point out Legends and Canon material in them, per the Nightsisters one. There's no distinction in the last few he's made, so I assume, being a contributor to an official blog, he's going to be accurate. Even has a source list at the end of every article. The EU was going to be mined for info and since the Story Group has to vet everything, that's where the bloggers would go, like everyone else. There's also no statement that the SG has to announce every new canon source, only that everything that gets published has to go through them.

The Marvel interview was particularly interesting, given the SG only goes through a story in broad strokes, suggesting things that can be used. It doesn't sound like they fine-comb through everything.

7. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Okay, I think I see where the confusion lies. You're interpreting this statement from the April 25 press release:

"Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected."

...as "everything from this day forward is canon." I think that's maybe a bit more literal than what was actually intended, and I could probably point to enough examples of non-canon material released since then to support my point, but frankly I'm much too new here to take it any further than I already have :)

To me, that right there speaks to the lack of clarity on whether or not that material is canonical, IMO.

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    There's no confusion. The things made that were planned before the announcement, wouldn't be covered unless the SG hurried up and carried their weight around. It's sloppy and the SG could have canonized things like the Imperial Commander's Handbook, but that's where we ended up. There's also the random comics made by tertiary publishers that gained the license long before the announcement and planned dozens of issues beforehand. Compared with individual official blogs on the revamped, Disney-fied main site, where things can change a lot faster and easier. Even then, said tertiary groups have said their new Rebels-focused magazine will contain canon stories. The older CW comics they made would thereby not be canon.

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The snippet from HTTJ in Insider 155 has another mention of Denon (first was in one of the Disney AOTC guides iirc) and that it's an urban planet with sewers. There's also a Givin speaking/thinking in mathematical terms, which was part of their species lore in the EU.

10. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    "My Rebel Sketchbook" mentions Verpine, the Vors, and the Vor Concert of the Winds (from Dark Apprentice). And the latest excerpt from HTTJ mentions ghests and Kirdo (the Kitonak homeworld).

As a sidenote, the HTTJ excerpt also shows that the chapter titles are written to look like mathematical formulas rather than simple numbers. A cute touch.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  11. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Chalacta is mentioned on "The Secret Jedi" Holocron website accessed through a code given in The Secret Jedi: The Adventures of Kanan Jarrus: Rebel Leader.

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

But not the Vors Voorhorian.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and LelalMekha like this.
  13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Who tells you that no one in this book wears an X-wing cog as a ring? :p

14. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    From the recent event in Star Wars: Commander, we have the Imperial Dropships from the Force Unleashed brought back and it was confirmed that the blue skinned mercs you see in various missions are female............
    Chiss!

Also Danry Ledwellow was mentioned a lot in the previous event.

Grievousdude likes this.
  15. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    Somebody's probably mentioned this before, but Ackabar still hates smugglers.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    Uh, hi! So, I signed up because I got Tarkin, and have been reading it. Keeping an eye out for any recononized names, places or people. I noticed a couple not on this list, namely;

Sephi as a species, mentioned along with Thustra. (Pg. 181 EPUB edition) Taris is also mentioned in the same paragraph as the Sephi and Thustra. So, I'm taking that to mean those three are canon like their Legends in basic appearance.

The Extreme Moderate likes this.
  17. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I have a question...are the novelizations of the films considered canon?

if so, what happens when the books reference events in other non canon material...like how ROTS refernces Labyrinth of Evil?

18. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    AFAIK, the novels were considered in the canon list as 'long as they don't contradict what is on screen' which is... open for interpretation if that includes things that arn't shown, but not contradicted. Like, I'd assume the part where Yoda learns how to Force ghost in the Revenge of the Sith novelization is non-canon with us learning how Yoda did it in his arc in the Clone Wars. But references to species, ships, planets, or things that happened in the EU are... ambiguously canon until contradicted?

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The official word on novelizations, per Del Rey, is that novelizations are canon "where they align with what is seen on-screen." Interpret that as you will, but to me that's a roundabout way of saying they're not canon - if they have to "align with what's on screen" then how is that any effectively any different than saying "only what's on-screen is canon"?

That said there is one exception to the rule I'm aware of, which is "The Rebellion Begins" by Michael Kogge, the novelization of "Spark of Rebellion," the first episode of Rebels. This novelization contains material that did not appear in the episode, but it was approved by the Story Group (as all Rebels material is) so that material is canon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Then those specific references are part of the new canon, but not the entirety of the source Legends material it came from. In interviews about it I've seen them say, just because a character from Legends is referred to doesn't make all of their Legends stories canon, just the character.

I'll look for the interview I'm thinking of and try to post a link. Tarkin refers to all sorts of characters from a myriad of sources, including Admiral Screed from Droids. But there is nothing to indicate the entirety of Droids is part of the new canon, despite a handful of tiny references in a small number of New Canon sources.

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Depa Billaba being Mace Windu's Padawan is canon, as of The Secret Jedi: The Adventures of Kanan Jarrus: Rebel Leader.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Kanan: Grandson of a BMF

Taalcon and Kablob like this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

More like GrandPadawan? ;)

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The comic strip in the UK Star Wars Rebels magazine features an XQ space platform.

Gorefiend and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  25. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Don't mind me, just tagging this thread.