main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, don't celebrate Garm Bel Iblis yet. The updated tweet from Del Rey makes clear that only stuff seen in the movies that occurs in the novelization are canon.

--Adm. Nick

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Align with what is seen on screen" may apply to the occasions where the movie scene and the book scene are different.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    She didn't come from an EU source.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This comment seemed pretty on-target:

5. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    It wouldn't make his comic appearances canon, but it does make his name and character canon. Coleman Kcaj, Agen Kolar, Stass Allie, etc., were never named in the films, but their names were created during production and creation of the films they appeared in, which makes them canon. This same case applies to Tsui Choi, who was supposed to appear on the Jedi Council before it was decided that the deleted scene of Shaak Ti's death would be removed. In the end, he was put into a different scene.

Aleena were named and appeared in TCW, so his species does have a name.

Which means that an Aleena Jedi named Tsui Choi exists in the new Star Wars canon :D

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Iron lord: Yeah but that's probably entirely what they meant since it's the interpretation most in-line with the announcement. To make the novelizations canon admits a bunch of random out of context EU that isn't SG-approved, which defeats the point of the whole thing.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

7. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    dp4m: Well, it has been established by Heddle, JJM, etc. that they are using the LU as "reference", which only makes sense if the Story Group plans to reintroduce some of the old content, albeit on a case-by-case basis.

My personal take is that nothing is precluded from potentially re-existing until something in the new canon specifically says it cannot exist. E.g., The Crystal Star is precluded from existing because the Solo kid adventures are no longer canon, full stop. However, Sullust being a volcanic planet per WEG is no longer canon but is not precluded from ever again existing until a new source depicts it in a different way, covered solely in oceans with floating habitats or whatever.

Splitting hairs, I know, but it seems the only practical approach unless they plan to start truly from scratch, beginning from the ground floor up and renaming every single cantina species and Jabba's palace alien--and even TCW didn't go that far.

HEDGESMFG and kubricklynch like this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Why don't they go back to Lucas' extensive original background material for the OT and use those names? I mean "Hammerhead" , "Walrus Face" and "What's that One Ugly Guy In the Back? You Know The One? No, Not That... Yes! That's the One, the One with the Thing!" are great names, IMO.

9. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    If I recall correctly, at that time Leland only said that ROTS was going to introduce a Jedi using that Aleen model, and if it had appeared he would have established that it was Tsui Choi, thus backdooring him into G-canon. Not that it was a conscious EU inclusion on the level of an Aayla Secura. There may be another source that says otherwise, though.

[karrde]Point.[/karrde]

10. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Of course things could be canon if they were made canon. That is true of things that exist in the EU or not. I am certain that I am misunderstanding what you are saying, because I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Edit: Added the quote for clarification of what I was referring to.

11. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Ahh, yes. This is correct.
    I'd forgotten all about that. Sullust's first mention is from the RotJ novelization, so I'm not sure it would fall under this list or not.
    Thanks, I'd looked through that once already (that's how I found out Outrider is in ANH). However many of the things mentioned on it I did not think would be appropriate in a list such as this (e.g. Force Speed).
    Thanks, I'll add Ansion in. I'm not sure about Ando Prime, though. Many EU planets are shown in posters and holograms (especially in TCW) and I'm not sure if that would be considered a canonical mention.

I found the quote from that. It's in a Bantha Tracks from 1982. I'm not sure what that makes it, were Bantha Tracks EU or considered something else? Also, are there any Mon Calamari master chess players?

This is more a list of EU being referenced in the new canon. Since Satine originated in TCW, she doesn't really fall under that banner.

And to everyone on the subject of names not matching the original backstory:
    There is precedent to use the EU background, for example Black Sun in TCW, they didn't need to make it a crime organization with faleens, but they did. And yes, It could be that the new canon merely keeps the names of places and does away with everything. But even then, that wasn't really purpose of this list. It was more created to see what still remains in the canon of the old EU.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Riv: I was just trying to draw a distinction between the stuff we know "is no longer canon and is never coming back" (e.g. the events of The Crystal Star) and "stuff that is no longer canon but might be reused if someone wants to bother bringing it back and it doesn't contradict the new canon."

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think everyone will do what they want but assuming an element will retain anything of what we knew before making 'EU' non-canon is folly.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I love the Old EU. It was my childhood.

But it was time to put it to sleep.

It was sick.

15. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    P.S. I edited "unless" to "if" in the first line of my post, a typo which admittedly probably wasn't helping. :p

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Charlemagne19: That really can be taken rather badly by some. Just because something has issues doesn't mean one should kill it. (I have CP, here).

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Except that Black Sun isn't that, it was a crime organization that had a Falleen as the head, but otherwise consisted of every race across the galaxy.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Right. Instead of one, we got a council of Falleen who all dress the same. Seeing the Xizor displaying club on TV was one of the cooler moments of EU validation, but it was still weird.

Just like the padawan who decided to cosplay as Adi Gallia.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

Valin__Kenobi and blackmyron like this.
  19. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Bro, you're thinking about this entirely the wrong way

dp4m and Iron_lord like this.
  20. CptSteam

CptSteam Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 14, 2014

According to Wookieepedia she was first mentioned in the Complete Star Wars Dictionary. But I may be misinterpreting that as first appearance.

21. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The problem is, LF would sometimes give info to publishers about stuff in their movies and tv show.

22. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014

Understood. Ignore my suggestion then.

23. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I read the tweet a little differently then that. To me, it seems that they are saying the places the novels contradict the movies are non-canon, like they have always been.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    For what it's worth, Sora Bulq and Depa Billaba are at least mentioned in the opening prologue to the RotS novelization (and as Jedi who have fallen to the dark side and joined the Separatists).

Chapter Five also mentions Carrack-class light cruisers and a Dreadnaught. So those might be "saved/recanonized."

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014
    Not a new character, but wasn't Cyborg Darth Maul originally from a Dark Horse comic? Would that count as recently canonized?

rumsmuggler likes this.