main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There is bound to be a disconnect of some nature when the various units of clone troopers were the backbone of the Grand Army of the Republic, yet the Stormtrooper Corps that were initially the various units of clone troopers eventually end up being separate from that structure, while the Army inherits the GAR structure.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The other place in the new canon where the Army is mentioned is in Servants of the Empire, and there it seems to include the vehicle drivers, mostly (hence the reason Zare and the other cadets are wearing biker pilot helmets). I'd be okay with the Army being basically a "mechanized cavalry" equivalent.

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Lords of the Sith is 8 years after RotS which makes it 7 years before Rebels.

Honestly, I think it's easier not to make it more complicated than needs to be. No writer is going to remember to treat Stormtroopers as a different branch from the Army before Rebels while making them the same as the Army during Rebels.

One of the points of the new canon, would be, I think to make things simpler.

For now, the Stormtroopers are part of the Army, and as far as we know, always have been. The Stormtrooper Corps is either a colloquialism for the Army or a part of the Army.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Vehicle Drivers have always been Army. It's in the old visual guides and also mentioned in Essential Guide to Warfare I believe.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Army consisting of a Stomtrooper Corps and a Vehicle Corps seems straightforward and logical to me.

Vthuil likes this.
  6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    It's actually 5 years after ROTS, it's a bit before Tarkin in the timeline.
    [​IMG]
    The confusion is that the crawl says "eight years after the Clone Wars ravaged the galaxy" which is supposed to mean 8 years after the start of the Clone Wars, but it can easily be misread as 8 years after the end of it.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I suppose the issue is: Have we EVER seen any ground troopers who weren't Stormtroopers?

8. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Well, in Legends there is the Imperial Army Troopers who were supposed to be the most common type of Imperial Solider... so common that you rarely ever see them...

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

So this is five years after ROTS so it takes place around Tarkin.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, in this case it may be the Imperial Stormtroopers are just the Imperial Infantry and HIGHER RANKS of Stormtroopers have the role of Marines.

It would go a long way to explaining why they're such garbage on Lothal.

That and they were trained by a pair of idiots.

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Naval Troopers in Return of the Jedi. It would seem that Naval Troopers help guard Navy installations like the Endor shield generator.​
    I hope to see more of them in Rebels.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    To be honest I would not be surprised if the Naval Troopers were changed to security teams in canon. They seem to fill that role more in the movies.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    As much as I love WEG and their nearly perfect worldbuilding, I think (and I've been thinking for years) the creation of the Imperial Army (as a separate branch from the stormtroopers and somehow way more numerous despite the only member we see in the movies being Veers) was a mistake. I understand the gameplay reasons behind the decision, but it should have stayed there.

darklordoftech, Vthuil and Gamiel like this.
  14. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    According to the Wook, USW has Raxus listed in the Raxus system/Tion Hegemony. That was fast. :)

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I always thought that they were guards. I was surprised when WEG made them troops.

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Part of the job description of a Naval Trooper in the old continuity was security while still being a military type force. I see no need for limiting them strictly to security by changing their name to "Imperial Naval Security". They were supposed to be security in the old canon, while also being able to supplement stormtroopers when needed, repel ship board invaders, and also provide non combat services. The Naval Trooper moniker was never meant to imply they were deployed on ground operations to the extent that stormtroopers were, even in the old continuity. The Navy essentially wanted combat personnel loyal to it. That kind of rivalry makes sense especially in an organization like the Empire.

It's already bad enough that the Empire essentially has only one kind of ground soldier for major land operations. Without Naval Troopers, they'll only have one type of trooper period. :p The seperatists had battle droids, super battledroids, and droid commandos. The Empire has stormtroopers.

I look forward to Star Wars Rebels using Naval Troopers and other types of troopers other than the stormtroopers.

17. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    From the Force Awakens trailer there appear to be an updated version of the Death Star Gunner or Naval Troops, not sure which one it is intended to be.
    Well in old EU the Empire had lots of different types of Storm troopers so perhaps thats what we will end up seeing in the future.

18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    New from SW #5:
    the Ganath Cloud
    moons of Ovise
    the Trindello system
    the Monsua Nebula in the Moddell sector
    the Blackfel system

Ewok Poet and spicer like this.
  19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Also, "Wormie".

spicer, Vthuil, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This last bit just made my day. Monsua Nebula is crazy cool, so is the whole of Moddell.

Somebody please recanonize the Din Pulsar and the Endor Gate. Sure other people who like writing stuff off their own need them as much as I do. I even made up an ancient astronomer who discovered them.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Although having the things be in Canon only makes the name Canon it could be a completely different object.

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Do you have to follow me around the entire board, quote me and say obvious things? I'm getting a tiny bit uncomfortable now.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  23. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Except in these instances, they clearly are what they originally represented. Generally, if they name-drop something established, they're keeping the essential nature of it. It's been pointed out that the basic structure of the Galaxy is being kept the same.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ok then.......

Sorry?

I will just ignore you in the future.

25. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the seven forms of lightsaber combat:
    • Shii-Cho (Form I),
    • Makashi (Form II)