main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes... that's the one kind of thing I didn't like back in those days: if you're going to use something from the EU, make it accurate, or dont use it at all.

2. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I actually approve of the change, because the old Zygerrians looked way too similar to the Arpor-Lan.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Where have Bothans appeared in the new canon? I probably missed them, since I can't remember it...

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    They're in Sabine's Journal.

darthosaka and spicer like this.
  5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Oh, wait I remember now. Someone here posted a pic from the book on an illustration.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
  7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    And the Massassi, even if we don't know what they look like in canon now.

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    So, Galaxy of Heroes added HK-47. [face_thinking]

BobaMatt, vstarvan, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    In what context? And how much of HK-47 is recanonised (name only, or more)?

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, elaborate?

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, given the comparatively high profile of KOTOR and the number of psychotic droids in the new canon so far. I would be surprised if it's more than just a name and broad strokes, though.

darklordoftech and spicer like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, name, broad strokes, and appearance.

[​IMG]

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, thinking about it, this is kind of a good example of why I've been feeling more and more that the whole concept of "recanonization" and having a thread tracking it is a little dubious.

Like, on the one hand, to what extent do things added by these throwaway mobile games "really" count as canon? They're not not canon, but there's hardly a guarantee of things in them showing up in other stories - which IMO is the biggest reason why what's "canon" matters in the first place - and it's not like they have stories themselves. I'm reminded of people being happy about Commander "recanonizing" the Chiss only for them to so far make no other appearances in the new continuity. And as I alluded to above, the mere existence of an assassin droid named HK-47 hardly necessitates that the rest of KOTOR should be considered as having happened.

But at the same time, it's not like there's any reason to think KOTOR can't have happened in the new canon. It may be as much through inertia as any sort of overall plan, but everything we've heard about the Old Republic era so far seems in line with what we know of Legends, except insofar as some convoluted retcons are being smoothed out (e.g. the clearer distinction between a modern 1000-year-old Republic and an "Old Republic" that fell before that). The Sith were born from the Hundred-Year Darkness*, formed empires built on the backs of slave species like the Massassi, and battled the Jedi to their supposed extinction; there are even indications that the Sith Pureblood species might still be considered canon. Likewise, for all the controversy over TCW's Mandalorians, they very explicitly had a warrior past - with outright allusions to Old Republic-era stuff - that makes things like the Mandalorian Wars perfectly plausible. New things have been invented, sure, but none of them would be particularly out of place in Legends; there's no convoluted handwaving to incorporate things like Hylemane Lightbringer from Aftermath or Lord Momin from Lando into an "one canon" scheme like there is with the new post-ROTJ stuff. So given all that, is it even really a big deal to see HK-47?

* As far as clarifying convoluted retcons go, incidentally, I'm VERY MUCH hoping that they'll make sure it's "the" origin of the Sith this time around instead of needing four separate Great Schisms producing largely unrelated dark side organizations. But again, that hardly makes a difference to KOTOR existing.

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ^ Well, they *exist* now, so they *can* show up in stories. That's why it's exciting.

This game also recanonizes Jedi Consular's and Jedi Guardians, KotOR saber colors and all.

14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's kinda pointless to go hoping for any kind of KOTOR stories when you're not even sure the characters exist in the canon, so now we have one down at least. That's why people should be interested in these cameos and why this thread is necessary. It's easier to piece together where the franchise is going.

15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    On the TFA thread, a new galactic map. It has
    Rakata Prime
    . Not one of my favorite EU developments, but so be it.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, just remember that Chuck Wendig wanted to use HK-47 in Aftermath (in place of Mr. Bones, I assume?), so don't take anything for granted.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    There's also an announcement on TOR next week...

BobaMatt likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's possible that the Rakata are just an ordinary species in the new canon or that "Rakata" is just the name of the star that Rakata Prime orbits. Then again, Rakata Prime is awfully close to Starkiller Base. Perhaps Starkiller Base is a Rakatan weapon?

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Just some idle TFA speculation:
    Some believe Snoke to be a gigantic character. We have gigantic Rakata individuals in TOR...

Darth Caliban and darklordoftech like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Never thought of that. That's brilliant on your part!

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Trust me, it is one thing I don't want to be true.

Though a part of me would be staring at the screen in jovial disbelief if it happens. Because it's one of the silliest EU things this side of Waru.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Actually it was for the interludes.

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
  24. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Where is this new star map for The Force Awakens?

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009