main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Recasting the Big 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jonipoon, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Too early? Dude, they're casting a young Han Solo as of now. :p So we might see recasts of the other two sooner than we think!

And they won't be "remakes". They will be direct continuations of the episode films.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  2. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I think it could depend how successful the new Han Solo is.

If the actor/character/movie becomes popular enough then they'll certainly want to do a sequel or two and that will quickly bump into ANH era.

So say they make the first Han Solo movie (which comes out in 2018) set around ten years before ANH (as per vague Kasdan comments) and then do a sequel in say 2020 and a second sequel in 2022 and lets assume that a similar amount of time passes in-universe... then feasibly depending on what the main saga films do with regard to a fourth trilogy an OT reboot could happen with the same Han actor say 10-12 years from now.

I know lots of people think this is somehow sacrilege but I think it's inevitable that it will happen at least sometime in the next 20 years.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    For me, it doesn't matter. Disney will do what they do and I'll see / read etc. what I want to and leave the rest.

Some examples: the Bond series, they've survived and thrived for decades using new Bonds etc.

I was dead set against Snake Plissken being recast for years, and then 1) I saw the crap John Carpenter is endorsing with all of his properties now, and 2) read the EFNY remake scripts. I have the original film etc. No amount of new media good, great or awful can take that away.

So whatever happens with Luke, Leia and Han if they tell interesting stories, the characters will continue to endure for many years.

4. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm angry at the thought of this.

I wish this thread would be deleted. The thoughts of NOT Mark or NOT Carrie shouldn't even cross your mind. We already have to deal with NOT Harrison soon, enough is enough.

Dewback likes this.
  5. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Isn't she too attractive to play Leia (who was always a plain Jane)?

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We need to start a fundraiser to buy new glasses for JDN21.

Avnar and MattOrgana like this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The world is full of things to get angry about. This is not one of them.

8. Poe loves Rey

Dec 6, 2015
    Your opinion. I'm a SW hardcore, so I'd rather not see anyone else play the Big 3.

ChozenOne and Dewback like this.
  9. Michael Mercy

Michael Mercy Jedi Padawan

Nov 12, 2015
    Good call on Reynor, but Anton is older than Jack. They'll most likely cast someone quite a bit younger than Han to play Luke.

Jonipoon likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Poe loves Rey, many of us here are also what we'd call "Star Wars Hardcore." But I think one of the main ideas here isn't that we would LIKE to see the big 3 recast per se, so much as the acknowledgement that it is ultimately inevitable.

I for one have a strong feeling that we will eventually (although not anytime soon I'll wager) see their younger versions recast, whether we want it or not. And I won't boycott a SW film that could potentially be fantastic, just because someone else is playing young Luke. I mean, after all that is exactly what's happening with the young Han Solo spinoff. By this rationale that you're making, I'd expect you will not be seeing that movie cos it's essentially the same thing. [face_dunno]

11. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Age doesn't really matter these days in filmmaking. Besides, Anton has a youngish look to him while Jack looks more like a "bad boy", so that wouldn't be a problem.

12. Poe loves Rey

Dec 6, 2015
    Belo, well I put off watching TFA for a while because I dislike Finn, but I eventually gave in. So who knows with the Han flick or future younger Big 3 flicks.

I will be angry when we get the first leak of NuHan. My anger will probably persist thru the whole filmmaking process, then maybe I'll give in or simply not acknowledge it. There is a lot of pop culture that I don't acknowledge while everyone else fawns over it like a bunch of sheep. So there's a good chance I simply won't be bothered [face_cowboy]

13. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Remakes I will never watch if they happen in my lifetime. However, if I can get behind the actors they choose to play younger versions of the Big 3, then I'll give anthology films and films that fit into the main saga with the recast Big 3 a chance. But that's a big if. I've never seen anyone suggest an actor that I could accept as Luke Skywalker.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Very sad seeing Anton on the front page...

But yes, I think the recasting of Luke and Leia are inevitable at this point. Han's already been, and there are strong rumors that his film will have two follow ups.

As far who? I'd go with people who capture the essence of the characters, while also adding some new layers. I don't want to see them try and carbon copy Carrie and Mark.

Leia - Brie Larson, Emilia Clarke
    Luke - Jonathan Jackson, Taron Egerton

15. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
  16. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    jonathan jackson? isnt he like 40 by now? he's gonna be playing a YOUNG luke?

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    alden ehrenreich is han and unfortunately the awesome anton yelchin is dead.

speaking of anton i wish he was stll here so he could act in a full movie version of "RISE".

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    He is 34 years old, and looks younger. I'm not talking about YOUNG Luke. I'm talking films that take place after ROTJ, with the twins heading into their 30s.

By the way Mark Hamill was over 30 in ROTJ.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    and ROTJ is the only movie he even looks like he was over 30 in. (not counting TFA)

the meat of the post ROTJ-pre TFA era would have to be later then that though........Figure kylo is about 15 or older when he turns evil. so should probably be looking for someone between 45-50

20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    [When someone talked about a Han Solo trilogy]

"Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 4 h
    @bryanbleano No one's said anything about a trilogy. Stop panicking at what the Internet baits you to click."

"Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 28 de jul
    @breaksgrifter Who said anything about a tril- OH RIGHT THE INTERNET."

"Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 29 de jul
    @alexjmarty I'd caution about what you read online and what it may mean for future content."

[About Han's age]
    Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 31 de jul
    @dogsteeves1 Han's age has never been established. Honestly, I don't think *he* knows.

"But I thought, “Who is this guy [Han] after Star Wars?” He’s lived this life in which he was responsible really only for himself and Chewie, he’s been the smuggler. It’s clear he’s lived a hard, scrappy life. This is a guy who works for a living." writer Marjorie Liu (Han Solo Comics)

Sarge likes this.
  21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    To me recasting the big three is a disaster waiting to happen. I know it was successful in Star Trek, though i don't think they are better than the originals. Luke would be really tough to recast. No one else sounds like Mark Hamil. Looks would be challenging too. Harrison Ford is an iconic actor. No one else could be Indiana Jones, and no one else can be Han Solo. To me the easiest to recast would be Leia. I hope they have the sense to leave this era alone. There are plenty of other places in the timeline to focus on. Lets do some Old Republic stuff. Lets cover pre-ANH like Rogue One. Plenty of people would like Bane to make an entrance as well.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm 100% open to this, not least because I'd love to see new stories set in the OT and post-ROTJ era, and I don't want those stories to be animated. It's a tall, tall order to fill the OT3's shoes, but if they're smart (and Nina Gold has proven to be an unrivaled casting director) it could be great. And I say this as a hardcore OT fan who has loved these characters (and these actors) from the beginning.

23. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So somebody suggested Anton Yelchin in here, and now he is dead. So sad, just saw Star Trek: Beyond and he is so full of life and energy in that film. And really talented. Think he would have gone on to a further brilliant career. I must confess i am really, really conservative on this topic, recasting the OT. But Luke is the toughest with for me, if he is suppose to appear after the events in ROTJ but 25 years before TFA. Rebooting the OT with new cast: I hope i am no longer alive then. But as with the Alden casting of Solo, i might be able to dig into a very young version of Luke ( or Leia) and some early adventures. River Phoenix did so in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I had no problems with that. Totally bought it. But when you get older, espcially in that 45 - 65 range maybe, your personality is very much set in stone, and your looks are starting getting a bit rustic. Hamill comes with a story, the whole story of Luke is in his eyes.

JediMatteus and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    several people also listed alan rickman (when the threads opend years ago) in the thread about 'what actors would you like to see in star wars'

life stinks.

thejeditraitor and Sarge like this.
  25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So no one here saw the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles especially the one where Harrison did the epilogue.

Also, if they did do an Obi Wan film, I wouldn't mind seeing a ten year old Luke as a background character with Obi Wan looking at him from afar and thinking about Anakin from The Phantom Menace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.