main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recent Administration Problems

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Harry_Hill, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry_Hill

Harry_Hill Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    I have been following with interest the recent upsurge in complaints to the administration, both on this board and across the whole JC.

In a conversation on a seperate board, a fellow poster who has recently left the JC offered me the following explanation of the cause of the JC's current problems.

He suggested that when the community began, there were a large proportion of normal, well-rounded posters, often posting from work for their own amusement. What's more, these guys ran the board, and made the rules. Then, as Star Wars hysteria grew with the hyping of Episode 1, the number of nerds, geeks and social inadequates posting on the boards grew tremendously.

Very soon, the etire JC was over-run with socially-backward sci-fi nerds who could argue for 15 days straight about the length of DV's lightsabre without the slightest trace of humour or irony.

Eventually, it got so bad that many of the original posters left, including many of the moderators. This left a power vacuum in the board hierarchy and, as everyone knows, nerds abhor a vacuum. Sure enough, the gaps in the administration were filled by resident nerds, geeks and social inadequates, resulting in the present situation of a community run by, and rules being set by, socially-backward sci-fi nerds who could argue for 15 days straight about the length of DV's lightsabre without the slightest trace of humour or irony.

I wonder what other posters and the admin make of his argument?

Edit: Okay, we gave this a chance to do something productive, and we have pages of nothing. There are many other threads here that relate to ways to improve the boards, and things can be discussed in them.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I cant speak for everyone else, but I think your friend might be in nerd denial.

3. The-Dude

The-Dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    LMAO!!

That's actually quite an astute observation, in my humblest opinion.

4. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    ''Well, I cant speak for everyone else, but I think your friend might be in nerd denial. ''

LMAO!

5. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I have not noticed any problems recently myself.

6. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Have you been sleeping these last few weeks? :)

Just teasin!

JMA

7. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    I don't post on here often :p

8. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    If you're on the internet and you register yourself on a Star Wars message board, you are a nerd by definition. Nerds calling nerds more nerdier than they are is...well, quite nerdish. The fact that I have a fancy colored username used to moderate nerds living in the Midwestern United States makes me one of the biggest nerds around. This doesn't even include my collection of space barbies and overpriced pieces of Star Wars cardboard.

The fact that I bothered to respond to this, however, makes me a dork. :p

Revel in your geekdom.

9. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

It has always been the same; nothing different is taking place at the moment.

People who essentially want to become mods get uptight about the administration, bitch and moan endlessly, not realising that it is onyl a Star Wars board.

If it's not fun anymore, then don't come here: there are so many other boards where you can take up your crusade for a better tomorrow in the way of the nerd.

99% of the people who post on these boards could not give two flying faberge eggs on the crap that gets posted on Communications. In case of a sepcific issue, sure, that should be discussed. If, however, you think that the whole place has gone to **** and we need a overhaul, join the queue of moaners that started that fateful day in July 1998.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I prefer the term "geek" or "dork" to "nerd." [face_plain] ;)

11. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    lol...whatever makes you sleep better at night underneath your AOTC bedspread. ;)

12. Harry_Hill

Harry_Hill Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Before this thread gets dragged off topic by a misunderstanding, I beleive that the essence of the argument lies not simply in the nerdiness or geekdom of the majority of posters (this surely is a given for all of us, to some extent) but more in the lack of humour and the social inadequacy, niether of which are necessary conditions of faboyitude.

13. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    lack of humour

hey I thought gandalf and seb were funny :p

14. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    If you want to enjoy these forums again, remove JC Communcations from your favorites menu.

15. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    This is a good thread that's providing some comic relief. :D Anyhow, I agree with Gandalf, SW fans are more geek than nerds.

Which reminds me, anyone see Conan O'Brien's Triumph the Dog comedy sketch at the SW line? He called the lineup fans nerds. :(

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    And just what is Conan O'Brien?

Like he wasn't a nerd most of his life :p.

17. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    I agree with Gandalf

please misspell his name correctly [face_mischief]

on topic... this sounds like as good an excuse as any other... if this was/is the problem, what would you suggest remedy this particular malady?

18. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    Conan is a big SW fan so yeah, that would characterize him as a nerd/geek/dork.

19. AL

Aug 22, 1998

The lack of a sense of humour results from a number of reasons: feelings of social inadequacy, being just plain grumpy, cultural differences in understanding and matters of age (both physical and mental).

Again, this has always been an issue here. The problem is that the line between sarcasm and good humour and out right bashing and flaming can never be written or agreed upon. It is up to the person's good sense and judgment.

Tolerance, sense of humour, understanding and fun: the four pillars of any community.

Now I shall have to retie my Jar Jar/Tarpals tie combo and stop sounding like a new-age mantra ridden after dinner speaker.

======

Edit: He is also a nerd who has written and produced some of the finest episode of The Simpsons.

20. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Hello, Friends.

Sorry dont have the proper alias logged in and to lazy to do it.

21. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Social inadequacy...I don't think this is a widespread problem, it's just what you get sometimes allowing anyone and everyone to join the club. 12 year olds acting like their 30 and 40 years old being kids again, and everything in between multiplied by a couple thousand. I've seen this in many different situations, but the "golden age" type people who get upset and leave just don't like the fact that what used to be their little thing is now popular amoungst many, many people. I've seen this at work, I've seen this in my college frat, I've seen this in fans of local bands that make it big then are called sellouts, etc, etc, etc.

If you're comfortable in you geek/dork/nerdom, Conan is your patron saint. If you can't laugh at yourself when the mirror is pointed back at you, then you need to hit ALT+F4 and step away from the PC. :p
    [image=http://www.sportg.com/brian/pics/Conan_Sebulba.JPG]

22. AL

Aug 22, 1998

[image=http://figures.nohomers.net/Customs/Custom_Conan_Obrien.JPG]

I am oh so very pissed off that we can't get him or Leno on terrestrial tv here in the UK. We can get Letterman on ITV2 I think but I'd rather let my eyes be poked by a koala bear than watch that dirge.

And Sebulba-X is so right. The people who moan are just the type of people who wear shirts like "I was a Wings fan before it was cool!"

23. Dead_Horse

Dead_Horse Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Sorry, I must have made a wrong turn.
    I was looking for the Golden Age...
    ;)

Waves hands in the air and sings with the professor...
    "Oh we got trouble!"

24. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    bah! @ spelling.

For today I shall appologise in advance for incorrect spellings or for lack of sarcasms in post, this is due to the fact I am drugged up on cold medicine and lemon and honey drinks!

**crawls back to bed with vader duvet** ;)

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    And just what's their problem with the length of Vader's lightsaber, everyone knows it's approximately 1.46 meters long when ignited. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.