main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recent Administration Problems

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Harry_Hill, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Well I only knew because I've seen them before

2. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    JAS has a good point. The administration makes such a point to appear as to be all of one mind, and then they berate us for thinking of them as such.

We never get to see that Mod Timmy doesn't agree with the decision, so we have to assume that he was supported it. There is a unified front, after all, so we are given the impression that all mods agreed. But then Mod Timmy gets mad at us for assuming that. We are supposed to know by some psychic ability that he didn't support it and he resents that we would lump him in with the others who did. But he lumped himself first by going along with the 'unified front.'

If we feel the decision was pretty damn stupid, it lends itself to thinkng anyone that supported it must have been equally stupid to do so. So by creating that appearance of being unified about it, we assume you are all stupid because you all supported a stupid decision.

This could be solved by implementing the idea given in another thread, though I can't think of who suggested it.

If more of the day to day, board wide policy was discussed here in Comms, not behind closed doors, we would know where everyone stands. For example, the political sigs issue. That didn't have to be decided in secret. Discussing it here with the members first would have avoided a lot of trouble and headaches. "Problem User" issues should stay private. But most other issues relate to the majority of the JC and are best decided with its imput.

3. Harry_Hill

Harry_Hill Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Donesn't anyone realise that several people can post from the same organisation and have the same IP adress? Nathan, Sapient, some of those people are me, and some aren't. God's teeth.

And I bet you didn't see Just a Slacker's point coming, did you? Ha ha.

4. Mr Reality Sandwiches

Mr Reality Sandwiches Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2000
    I am the one that Mr Hill was referring too..with regards of common sense in this place..

Let me explain...firstly I am not a nerd a geek or whatever else Wired has named the computer generation this year...I am a normal healthy individual who post's at this place in work hours because I am so productive I have the time too...I am also in a healthy relationship with a real female not a cardboard cut out of Princess Leia..and have many friends and a good social life...I saw Star Wars when I was 7 ( it was the first film I ever saw in a cinema ) and since then I have had a healthy but impartial relationship with the film...meaning I have never once thought of dressing up as Obi Wan and standing in a queue for 9 hours to see the Phantom Menace...but forgive me I'm rambling...I must get to the point...

What firstly attracted me to the JC in the autumn of 1998 was among other things the ironic edge of this place, they're were mods like Chyren and the guy in the speedo's who kept the nerds at bay...there were some really funny and intelligent posters...there were some real cool threads like the Medievel Castle and the Alliance... And we were ruled wisely....of course they were the mod-fags who would grass on behalf of the modship and others who wormed they're way into the higher levels by just been plain smarmy...man I don't come here often anymore but eveytime I do some newbie has colours and is acting like a 'Precherboy' or a 'Vertical'...now you're probably thinking...you want to be a mod and you're jealous...not really I find the job here a losing battle and full of tedium..and i'd rather be a nobody here than a somebody..because sooner or later the somebody always get's grief.

..When I first came here relgious topics we're banned after checking out the senate I wish they still was...It's bad enough listening to adults talking bollocks let alone children with mod powers...this place was fun a long time ago...now it's place where you are treated like children by children....and before you get started on Star Wars is a kids film...Star Wars is a kids film from the 70's..meaning most of the original fans are in their thirties and err are old.....what this place is a heatlthy does of sarcasam...and mods should have a term of office...so when the general public of this place are unhappy with their leaders they can vote someone else...Yes this maybe a private board...but what you must realise you have created a community and you must govern it as so.

Pardon the spelling...I can't be arsed

Marty
    XXX

5. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    You guys are "unified front" whenever it suits you. Since the solidarity of colored users is so important to this board that also means that users look at you as a different group and not as individuals.

Uhh, I'm not an admin...

6. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    This comes back to the voting in mods and why that doesn't work either. As I said there are always going to be someone thats going to be upset by the situation.

7. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, those are all the names that come back as a result of an IP check. They are all the same user.

PPOR.

8. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
  9. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Why not?

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    PPOR.

This is as close as you'll get.

User IP Address Banned Last Login Date Last Post Date Date Added Options
    Harry_Hill ***.***.***.*** No 3:29am 1:27am 1/29 7:56am Ban
    Tanktopgirl ***.***.***.*** No 9/19 5:13am 7/31 6:37am 10/25/01 1:25am Ban
    beaucoup_sith ***.***.***.*** No 9/19 4:37am 9/19 2:10am 11/5/01 8:07am Ban
    Evil-Kenevil ***.***.***.*** No 9/13 8:38am 9/13 8:31am 7/17 2:48am Ban
    ObiJohnKenobi ***.***.***.*** No 9/4 4:59am 7/31 6:28am 8/30/01 7:55am Ban
    RioFerdinandsTopLip ***.***.***.*** No 8/30 7:26am 8/30 7:16am 8/28 1:03am Ban
    BGRMonkeyLove ***.***.***.*** No 8/28 7:12am 8/20 5:42am 4/3 6:46am Ban
    WonderWoman ***.***.***.*** No 8/20 6:28am 8/20 5:46am 2/14 3:20am Ban
    Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon ***.***.***.*** No 1/25 1:31pm 1/25 1:37pm 6/16/00 12:00am Ban

Edited out IP address, since the point was made.

11. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    I just dont see the point, we know who they are any way they been doing this for a while now. Post it if they want to but makes no difference at the end of the day.

12. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Thanks Gandolf, that's very interesting.

I just dont see the point

I'm not asking you to.

13. Harry_Hill

Jan 29, 2002
    No no no, not PPOR retract about having the same IP - PPOR about the statement that if two users have the same IP they are the same person. Ah, never mind.

Anyway - LOL @ MrRS.

14. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    So, you could be family or work colleagues all coming out of the same IP - big deal.

Are you having fun with this game of dare? We thought you would have gotten bored of it by now :)

15. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    So, you could be family or work colleagues all coming out of the same IP - big deal.

And some of those family or work colleagues could be quite innocent and end up being IP banned. Which to some people is a big deal.

16. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Yes, and in this case they should know who to blame for their predicament shouldn't they? S_B played the game, and well, takes the consequences. The person should have thought about the other people before posting.

17. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I agree. It is the height of stupidity to assume that every person on a single IP address is related.

It is common practice in UK Universities to have a single pipe into the Internet with a single IP address, with all machines within the University accessing the web through a proxy.

So all those people have the same IP address, it doesn't mean they all know each other. As it happens, that IP address is the address of Sheffield University in England, and if you were to ban it you would effectively ban every user at that University because you are too lazy to ban an individual user.

It is that kind of idiotic display of knee-jerk reaction, without any analysis at all, that is happening more and more often, driving people away from these boards.

EDIT: Bull Charis, and you know it. It is the responsibility of the MODs on this board to provide a fair and friendly environment to its population. You shouldn't assume that just because several people share the same IP address that they even know each other. We shouldn't be expecting S_B to think about others before posting, we should expect the MODs to be strong enough and capable enough to deal with individuals rather than blanket banning.

18. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    The person should have thought about the other people before posting.

"Dear several hundred other users who share the same IP address as me,
    I am thinking of posting something risky on the JC forums, if by chance I get banned please accept my apologies if you are banned as well."

[face_plain]

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    As a whole we rarely, if ever, IP ban for the reasons of banning innocent users.

20. IamJacksMonkey

IamJacksMonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2001
    i am just going to say one thing. there are people in this thread who are being majorly hypocritical. you know who you are.

this same person brown nosed the admin who removed the FF-UK banner saying it was offensive, saying things along the lines of, "yes children may see FF-UK and it is offensive" and this user went on for ages about the "offensive nature of FF-UK" But as soon as the mod returned and said he had no problem with FF-UK but the slogan on the banner, the hypocrital user forgot everything and decided that FF-UK was fine.

Isn't that right Charis?

Unfortunately, the mod removed the entire thread which had valid arguments against the mods which they had no answer fo, so there is no proof anymore. Ladies and gentlemen, that is how some of the mods here are like. (not all, mind).

21. Harry_Hill

Jan 29, 2002
    See? I knew my thread would turn into a lively debate about the JC administration (with or without Charis trying to insert her own agenda .... please stay on-topic, love - thanks).

22. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Nice to see you back :)

You make a valid point Jairen, but in this case we both know that the people know each other. If you think about it, FanForce being what it is, if people work together, attend the same uni etc. they should know each other from the meets.

People who access forums through public computers with set IP addresses should be more careful with what they post on boards, or get their own accounts. It's one thing to lodge a complaint, another to post a bizarre generalisation covering a lot of people. Sorry, but S_B is just plain sad and didn't even attempt to provide decent argument as to why the entire admin staff should be seen as idiots.

Edit - ah the banner thread! See, knew you couldn't resist ;) I can sit back now and let you lot ramble.

23. IamJacksMonkey

IamJacksMonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2001
    nope, i really don't care about the banner or the internet in general. i come around cause i met some cool people here and to amuse myself whilst at work.

i just wanted to point out the double standards. seeing you wanted to get on a soap box and try to preach to everyone. it was only meant to be a debate and nothing more. but you wanted to stick your two pence in, which is fine, but it had nothing constructive to say. did it. you just wanted to show the other posters how moral you were and get their respect. well, to get that, you need to earnit. and you don't do that by changing your mind every time the mods say something different.

24. Harry_Hill

Jan 29, 2002
    Charis - I could have sworn I just told you to stay on topic. Thanks.

25. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Re: Adminstration

I'd like to see a situation where the Administration actually has something in common with the 'bog-standard' poster like me. Moderators are elevated to their position from the basis of a poster, yet in my experience, the sense of community that we once saw in them, seems to vanish.

To be blunt, I like to see Administration get involved in the general things on the board. Yes, this is a SW board, but SW is the lowest common denominator. It is only the building block which forms a community of people with other and wider interests. IMO, the administration is a bit distant - and out of touch with the some of the mini-communities that are formed on the various regional boards. The only time I ever see an Mod is when a thread oversteps the ToS, or there is an organisation issue.

I think this is one of the most fundamental problems the 'Community' faces... [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.