main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recent classical influences in AOTC

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JonathonVandergriff, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    Okay everyone. This might be too much to ask for, but I was hoping to get some feedback on the classical influences of AOTC.

In "The Chase though Coruscant" or "On the Conveyor Belt" I can definitely hear some Stravinsky influence (most notable is the likeness to "The Infernal Dance" from the Firebird Suite) and maybe even a little Leonard Bernstein.

There are other moments that practically jumped out at the speakers at me as being taken from Marche Slave and The Rite of Spring.

There's also a much more dissonant approach to the scoring of action sequences, which I really like.

Anyone else notice these things?

2. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I completely agree with your connection to Stravinsky there. It's the percussive nature of the sequence combined with heavily stacked, heavily dissonant harmonies. Williams' score to The Empire Strikes Back, particularly during the Battle of Hoth, was also heavily influenced by Stravinsky, so I wouldn't be surprised if this connection was intentional.

3. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I agree with the Stravinski reference; there are a few moments in his Star Wars scores where the slightly atonal, dissonant and intense mood is similar to the Rite of Spring.

I have noticed quite a few influences from Dvorak in Williams' movie scores in general. The most obvious is the beginning of the "New World" symphony's fourth movement and Jaws's theme. Also, I am convinced that Williams inspired one on the themes of his famous Duel of the Fates from the main theme of that same symphony's third movement. The very beginning(just the first few notes) of Dvorak's 7th symphony are there somewhere in Jurassic Park...

I happened to pick up a few others, but I don't exactly remember... Anyway, my two cents.

4. lawnmowerman603

lawnmowerman603 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    I've been posting this on a bunch of the threads, but one cue that stuck out for me was during the arena when anakin is on the orray sled slashing at the battle droids, anyone else notice it?

5. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Wagner has always been a big influence on Williams (as it was for all the first school of Holloywood classical soundtracks writers like Korngold and Steiner) but I particularly liked the chromatic romantic music at the fireside scene. Sort of like those moody 40's melodramas, but very understated. There is a sort of 'mystery melody' heard slowly as the ship descends into Coruscant, and occurs with some cuts to other scenes. It reminds me of someone, but I can't think who.

6. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Yes, definitely Stravinsky. I'm writing my IB Extended Essay on him, so I've been immersing myself in his music lately, and I definitely hear influences throughout all the soundtracks. Like someone else mentioned, the percussive nature of some musical cues is very Stravinsky-esque.

7. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Well to me, I can hear the influence of Brahms in AOTC. William's makes particular use of this influence in the "Love Theme". The characteristic drawn out phrases and ebbing melody reminds me of some of Brahms peices, which makes sense, since Brahms is considered to be the quintisential "romanticist", in musical terms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.