main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion recent pictures of Mark Hamill...looking good.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by mglover92, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Expectations: Luke/Hamill to just have a mentor role *kinda like Obiwan in New Hope*. Not much action but we get to enjoy Luke again.
    Dream: Gandalf-levels of bad assery.

If JJ can perform miracles I'd love to the dream one but IDK if thats likely...but hey Ian Mckellan can be awesome so Hamill has no excuse. :p

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  2. dooku88

dooku88 Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2013
    Not totally terrible lol

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There seems to be a lot of "lol Mark is teh fat!!!!11 lolol) going on around here.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I honestly don't understand the wild overstatements in these threads. OK, you disagree that someone needs to lose weight for an action/sci-fi movie, fine. But to get into these histrionic sort of reactions makes one wonder why this is taken so seriously (taken personally, some transference perhaps?). So statements that an actor needs to lose weight for a SW movie are right up there with terrorism, war, gun violence, and worldwide financial recession? It is to the degree of seriousness that it "shows how messed up the world is"? Wow.

stormcloud8 and Darthsuggs like this.
  5. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I know what Hamill is up to, the sneaky bas****. He's gonna go on some crazy diet and workout, then when Episode 7 comes out and he looks like a greek god, he's gonna make millions off endorsements and the "Luke Skywalker Diet." He's gonna be a Jedi Jared.

In all seriousness though, I have this odd confidence that he will look great in Episode 7. I don't know why, and it's so fun to make fat jokes about him, but I really think he will be great. I mean, he IS Luke Skywalker. Yeah he has done nice voice work but everyone, including Hamill himself, sees him as Luke. I believe he really loves playing that role and it shows. Now he has been told he is going to reprise that beloved role. Can you imagine how ******* psyched he must be? He's gonna get into shape--and that doesn't mean **** anyhow because he is a great actor who loves the role and he's gonna******* own it.

Mav Edit: The whole words need to be starred out.

Jobertus, Lee_ and DarthBreezy like this.
  6. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    You really don't get it. That's fine, I'll leave it be.

V-2 likes this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Harrison Ford looks better for his age than Hamill does, but that has nothing to do with weight.

8. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think if he has a beard he'll be a totally awesome Jedi Master/mentor guy for VII.

9. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I can only imagine that Hamill is in training already, Fisher as well. If VII films this year, which, in likelihood it will, they'll be ironing out costumes, etc.... Hamill has been pretty low key since the news of a new Star Wars broke.

FinleySlade likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Looking good ! must be in training for EP7 .

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No, I just don't agree; easy to write someone off as "not getting it," that doesn't agree with you. I don't think it makes the world catastrophically bad that people want an actor to look a certain way for a role; it isn't like excluding someone from a dinner party or refusing to hire them for a construction job because they are overweight; this is entertainment.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It's the idea that "fat" is "wrong" that leads to so many of our nation's evils - especially among young people. How many girls starve themselves or even end their own lives because they don't look like what Hollywood says they should? Sure, it's not healthy to be obese, but plenty of people gain weight because of other reasons, and are perfectly active and healthy. The idea that we should judge these people, and what they can and cannot do, by their weight is what so many take offense to.

Darth Sone likes this.
  13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Ummm...I'm not philosopher, but I thought the contention here was about whether or not the ROLE required physical fitness. If it does, the actor ought to look fit. If not, let him eat cake. I don't see what this has to do with judging people by a standard of beauty. It's not about beauty, it's about what the role requires. If I wanted an actor to play Jabba, I might want him to gain a bit of weight.

Jedi Merkurian and Lee_ like this.
  14. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow aging is brutal, he used to be pretty, not just attractive but pretty.

[face_shhh]

15. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Everybodys opinion is really right in this thread. Both sides make valid points about Luke and how he should look in the upcoming movies. Being to thin is not healthy and neither is being to overweight. I think somewhere in the middle is perfect. I am sure Mark even understands this. He loves the role and I am sure he is stoked to come back. He and Carrie are the only ones that really still talk about their role in star wars and seem to enjoy the fame. My opinion is i think he should slim down to a healthy Body Weight. Is Mark Obese? No he is know where near Obese and nobody is this thread is saying fat. If he is required to be more fit, he will be fit. If he is required to be bigger than usual, he will be bigger. Time will tell =]

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Totally agree with Darth_Articulate.

To digress into the obesity debate momentarily, certainly, no one deserves to be judged as a person based on their weight; it obviously doesn't mean your are morally depraved because you are overweight. As far as how much media images contribute to Anorexia/Bulemia/suicide, they likely contribute some, but just how much is debatable (again, this is the field I work in); there are multiple factors at work here. The thing that is 100% certain is that obesity is an epidemic that kills exponentially greater numbers of people and has a much greater cost to society than those disorders and acts of self-harm; to disagree with that is just a sheer denial of the facts at hand; read up on the current research regarding childhood/adolescent obesity and the increasing rate of diseases/disorders from obesity in the population in general if you think otherwise.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. This has NOTHING TO DO with moral issues around the self-image of youngsters, or any kind of broad moral issue. This is about a person fitting a role in a movie; I don't know why people get so carried away. Disagreeing with someone's opinion does not make you bad either; making a broad moral issue out of something trivial is silly.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    He looked fabulous as Cock Knocker!

gregvader123 likes this.
  18. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    ^ LOL. After that I always wanted him to be a Sith lord

19. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
  20. Badger_Legion

Badger_Legion Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2008
    We don't know if he will have a role at all, or if a role would require him to participate in action scenes, yet we're already talking about him needing to lose weight?

Darth Sone likes this.
  21. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'd say he should be able to get in shape for the role, he has time.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I was actually referencing the post where someone asked why people were getting so emotional about it. They're probably people who aren't fat, but feel victimized by our society's view of "fat" because they're not paper thin six-pack wielding gym monkeys.

As to the role. Alec Guinness. Ian McDiarmid. Both of which seem to be a similar size to Hamill, both of which played their roles - including action sequences - admirably. I never found either of these two characters unbelievable due to their weight. I mean, criminy, I met Sly Stallone while he was filming the Expendables, and he looked much worse for wear than Hamill does in these photos. Didn't stop him from making a movie about a super-athletic mercenary. Twice. I'm not saying it was a wonderful role or anything, but any problems with believability didn't stem from his size.

23. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Plenty of time before filming begins, and I'm sure Lucasfilm/Disney already have personal trainers assigned to him and the other original actors..

24. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I still think that the pic going around the web with Luke's cloak and beard is where it will go. It seems to feel right and I would never never underestimate the power of makeup. Disney is a lot of things but they have never been called ignorant. We will fall over ourselves when Luke makes his return as the Kenobi of the ST. Mark these words, fellow fans! :cool:

I interrupted the debate. Move along, move along

Graphic likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think in the pictures we've seen Hamill looks just as good, if not better than Alec Guinness did for the OT. He seems to have more hair color still, and he looks to be in better shape physically.

I totally agree that a full beard would work wonders for even improving his look-in fact I love the idea of seeing older Luke with a beard, Obi-Wan AOTC style. Not to mention, digital technology nowadays can work subtle wonders in making someone look great onscreen. The Hobbit is the most recent example of this: Elijah Wood, Ian Holm's and Cate Blanchett's faces were all slightly "auto-tuned" to smooth away any major obvious wrinkles from aging they've done in the last 12 years since LOTR. It looks amazing, and is quite subtle enough not to notice. The same could be done for Luke-well, for all of the big 3 really.

Lighting is another big way to help that, with the help of makeup. Harrison Ford looked way older in all the heavily-lit media shots than he did throughout all of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Live camera lighting is naturally cosmetically cruel. So the pictures we see here of Hamill are very raw and unforgiving, compared to a movie production.

Count Yubnub likes this.