main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Recipe for disaster (Pre TPM-Obi-Wan/Qui Gon/OCs/Humour viggie/2 part post) COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    First and foremost, I would like to thank my awesome beta reader Jane_Jinn (who happens to be my fan fic adopter) for the time she invested in this fic. Jane, for the number of PMs and emails we exchanged, for all those corrections and suggestions you gave me...I'm so grateful. :) You're a harsh critic...and I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

Thank you so much for showing me how to make this fic the best it could be.

**Hugs** [face_love]

Blaine

And to all who will read this...thank you for stopping by. :) I hope you enjoy it! :D

Title: Recipe for disaster
    Author: Jedi_Humaira_Blaine
    Time Frame: Prior to TPM
    Characters: Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Sarabi Messina (OC), Neela Shada (OC).
    Genre: Comedy vignette
    Summary: Obi-Wan is on a mission...to cook the perfect meal! Will he succeed?

Recipe for disaster

Part 1 of 2

Obi-Wan Kenobi came rushing into the Jedi library like a man on a mission. He got a nasty look from librarian Jocasta Nu, to which he responded by giving her his most charming smile. She simply made a ?humph? noise and went back to her work, cataloguing the data pads in the extensive library.

"Why doesn?t that smile ever work on that silly old bantha?" he wondered. ?Master Qui-Gon always gets away with it?Hmm, maybe she likes bearded fellows.?

He scanned the room for his friend Sarabi, but she was nowhere in sight.

The shelves, he thought.

Sara had a habit of parking herself on the floor to read, especially when she found something interesting. It was just one of her strange habits. Of course Jocasta Nu always insisted on her sitting at one of the tables, but Sara tended to forget that when she got caught up in her latest fascination.

Sure enough, Obi-Wan found her buried under a pile of data pads in the corner of the library. She was quite oblivious to everything else that was going on around her. Seated cross-legged, leaning against the shelf, she had a look of deep interest on her face. Her eyebrows seemed to have shifted up an inch and those dark eyes widened.

She peered closer, trying to read the fine print in the footnotes, and Obi-Wan found the sight quite comical.

Obviously the book is very interesting, Obi-Wan smiled. And old, if it has not been transcribed onto datapad format.

He read the cover. ?Tribes of Old?.

Aah, that was an ancient text.

?Hey Sara,? he said, bending down as to distract her from her reading.

?Kenobi,? she smiled. ?Morning.?

?You are not a morning person, Sara,? he commented. ?What gives??

?Just did a wonderful stretch routine and I feel raring to go,? she announced, stretching her arms out, book in hand.

?Really.? Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. ?Have you got a minute??

?Of course.? she looked up. ?What did you do now?? she asked innocently.

?What makes you think I did anything?? he retorted, a sly smile on his face.

?Okay, what?s happening??

?Well, Master?s out until late tonight and I-.?

?-I?m not running away with you, Kenobi,? she said, looking back down at her book.

Obi-Wan colored slightly. ?Running away with me?? he echoed. ?Why would I ask you to do that??

?Relax,? she laughed.? You?re blushing, Kenobi.?

?Am not,? he said, sticking his lip out like a small child.

?All right,? she closed her book ?Tell me. What is it??

?I want to make dinner tonight.?

?Where is Master Qui-Gon anyway?? she interrupted.

?What does that have to do with me preparing dinner?? Obi-Wan asked.

?Well, normally he makes dinner,? she replied.

?So you?re saying I can?t??

?No, of course not, Obi-Wan.? She patted his arm affectionately.

?Then what are you saying??

She thought for a moment. ?Actually that is what I?m saying.?

?Argh, Sara. ? He let out a frustrated sigh. ?I?m not that bad, you know? You have eaten my cooking before.?

?Heating ?Ready-to-eat? meals doesn?t qual

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    You're a harsh critic...

Awww, thanks. That warms my cold little heart! ;)

Will Obi-Wan burn the Temple down? Or will he actually manage to cook something? Will Qui-Gon survive eating it? Or will this turn into an AU?

Find out more in the next part!

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I imagine him standing in a kitchen that has food on the walls and up the cupboard doors, it's all over him and there's a whisper of smoke hovering in the air as he's just put the flames out... I could be wrong!! This great stuff Blaine, More?

Sis...

4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Jane, you make it sound like "Mr. Movie Man" doing those cool trailers for a major motion picture! ;)

Aww, thanks for that! :D

*Hugs*

About the critic part...it's true! ;) And that's one of the things I love about you, my fan fic master! [face_love]

Addie girl! I'm thrilled you stopped by! My, some imagination you've got there ;)...well...part 2? [face_mischief] We shall soon see! ;)

*Hugs to you sis* [face_love]

5. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I guess being one with the Force doesn't necessary mean being one with culinary skills.
    For the Jedi, there is no emotion, only peace
    No cooking, only eating

Something like that.
    Nice bit of cmedy, Jedi . :D And that view is completely unbiased! ;)

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    leia: Glad you could make it! :D

LOL, I like your take on the Jedi code. Hahaha! [face_laugh]
    No cooking, only eating... LOL [face_laugh]

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D Unbiased eh? 8-} Part 2 should be up tomorrow...I hope. :( My internet connection is slow tonight and I can't seem to download a page without waiting forever! :(

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Here's the 2nd and final part of this vignette. Hope you enjoy! :)

Previously:-

?What is he doing, Sarabi? I saw him hurling bags into his apartment hours ago?

?He?s cooking, Master.? Sarabi bit her lip to hide a smile.

Neela Shada?s lips curved into a smirk. ?Then you?d better hurry. That boy might burn this place to the ground!?

Now, part 2!

Sara choked on a giggle.

Neela looked down at her plate ?Don?t be away too long now, Sara. You have an early morning tomorrow. We have to work on your piloting skills.?

Sarabi?s face fell. ?Yes Master.? Her reply was somewhat forced.

Neela Shada smiled. ?It needs work, Sarabi, and only by practicing, can you master it.?

?Yes Master Shada. Please forgive my tone of voice there.? Sarabi smiled apologetically, stood up and began clearing the dishes from the table. Her master simply nodded, understanding. Then she joined Sarabi in clearing their plates. It was routine for the two of them and they worked well together.

Sarabi helped Neela wash up and then excused herself. She headed out of the apartment, down the corridor and took a turn to the left. She knocked on the door.

?Come in!? Obi-Wan yelled from inside.

?Everything going smoothly, Kenobi?? she shouted above the sound of the whirring electric beater.

?Splendid!? he shouted back.

She made her way to the kitchen expecting to see a huge mess and a disorganized Obi Wan. Sure enough, there was Obi Wan; a tall white chef?s hat on his head, apron tied around his waist, stirring a mixture in a large bowl and grinning from ear to ear.

?Don?t you look charming,? she commented dryly. ?Interesting hat!?

?Master bought in at an open market on one of the Outer Rim planets.? He grinned goofily. ?Well, I certainly look the part, don?t I??

?You certainly do,? she said honestly. ?Although I don?t know about the actual cooking part-.?

?Take a look.? He pointed to the pan of simmering liquid on the stove.

She peered in and saw a clear liquid bubbling away in the pan.

?It looks like water,? she remarked.

?It is water,? he said.

?Wonderful. At least we know you can boil water. Did you use the Force to help it along?? she added, teasingly.

Obi Wan colored slightly.

?Well, I have to add the other ingredients,? he informed her seriously.

?Oh dear, are you sure?? she teased. ?We couldn?t have you actually cooking something!?

?Watch, and be amazed.?

?I?m already amazed,? she quipped. ?You?ve made a huge mess without having actually cooked anything.?

He held his palm up. She gave him a funny look.

?What?? he asked. ?That is not a rude gesture. You got it all mixed up.?

?Not on some systems, Kenobi. If you did that on my planet it would be a case of ?shoot first, ask questions later?.?

Obi Wan shrugged. ?Yes, but on some other planets it simply ?wait? or ?I have a point to add? or something like that. What does it mean on Sohaliel??

?If you did to it to a leader or an elder it is disrespectful. And if you do that to a woman?well, then it means you were thinking of slapping her!?

Obi-Wan?s eyes widened. ?I?ll remember that!?

He sighed. ?Will I ever get this done in time??

?Of course you will.? Sarabi walked around the counter to him. ?I?ll help you. First things first. You need to cut up the veggies, then boil them in the water.?

?Well I?ve boiled the water.? Obi Wan looked confused.

?But the veggies have to be in the pan when you boil the water, dear?? she winked.

?Well, of course?I knew that.? He shrugged, as though it was common knowledge to him.

?I?ve got the cream mixture here. This goes over the soup.? He indicated to the bowl on the counter.

?Yes, Kenobi, but that goes on top of the soup once you?ve made it and it?s ready for serving. It?s part of the garnish.?

?Oh.? He raised one of his eyebrows. ?I knew that.?

Sarabi rolled her eyeballs and tried to hide a smile. ?All right, where are the vegetables??

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    LOL!!!! Oh NO!! ****!!! Sorry, couldn't help that!!! Very funny...... at least Obiwan can get away, doesn't look like Quigon will be chasing him in a hurry!!! Excellent post...

9. DarthNeil

DarthNeil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2003
    That was great Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, it was the best short story i have read in a while well done and tell me when you do another one as i would like to read more of your writing.

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Addie girl, :D I take it, from your reaction, that you enjoyed the viggie! ;)
    Glad it made you laugh girl! :D

DarthNeil: I'm so happy you stopped by :D and yes, definitely...I will let you know as soon as I post another story. :) Thank you for the encouragement. [face_blush]

11. DarthNeil

DarthNeil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2003
    I will look forward to your next story.

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I will look forward to your next story

[face_blush] Thanks...

Okay, UUUUPPPING this... ;)

13. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL this is cool girl! *hugs*
    Really made me laugh! :D
    Way to go girl ;)

14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Gina! :D I'm so happy you stopped by.

Aww, thank you. [face_blush] I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

*Hugs*

15. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

?Wonderful. At least we know you can boil water. Did you use the Force to help it along?? she added, teasingly.

Obi Wan colored slightly.

?I was going to surprise you, Master.?

?Well, it worked. I?m shocked!?

Hmm, maybe it was something he ate??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

This was really clever Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, I love cute young Obi-Wan and his interaction with Qui-Gon. It was so sweet of him - too bad it ended up so badly. And the OC is interesting. Do I detect a future development of this character? You added a bit of mystery with this paragraph:
    Obi-Wan had tapped into a part of her heart that was normally closed to outsiders. Obi-Wan had an ability to make her feel more like herself. Perhaps it was because he was the person she was closest to. She was friends with Camilli and a few others, but the fun times like these, that she had shared with Obi-Wan, would last her a lifetime.
    Well, with that kind of cryptic foundation. I would certainly suggest it.

Can't hardly wait for the next one. :D

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    leia: Hi dear...happy to see you here again. :D

Did you use the Force to help it along?? she added, teasingly.

That was actually a very helpful suggestion from my beta reader Jane_Jinn. :cool: I'm thrilled the interaction between Master and padawan was liked. :D

And the OC is interesting.

Thank you leia, I'm glad you found her interesting. :D

Do I detect a future development of this character? You added a bit of mystery with this paragraph.

The answer is a very definite YES! :D Sarabi is a character I intend to bring into my Fan Fic and there will be more :) ...soon I hope. ;)

Glad I got you thinking there. ;)

17. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Blaine, I noticed that one of the names is quuuuite simiular to mine ;) (Camilli) :)

It really is a great story... *hugs*

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Aaah! [face_shocked] That was a coincidence. I had thought of the name much earlier. :)

Actually it is also similar to another JC member's user name...I have already cleared it up with her though. :)

Thanks Cam. [face_love]

*Hugs back*

19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Just uping this story, in case anyone likes to read it. :)

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

Wingardium Leviosa! [face_devil]

Accio readers! 8-}

Imperio read! [face_devil]

More people should read this!

21. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    ROFLOL [my highest compliment]
    This is so amusing!!! Lots of fun, very cute, Obi-Wan is very cool! Especially in the hands of a good author...
    Great job!

22. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    leia, aww thanks girl! [face_blush]

JediKlea: I'm glad you stopped by. Thank you for the compliment. It truly means a lot. :D

...Especially in the hands of a good author...

[face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

Thank you so much... [face_blush]

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Just a little UP! :)

24. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Upping for any potential readers out there... :)

If you do read, it would be great if you could review. I'd love to know what you thought. :)

25. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Funny specially the dessert part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.