main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Recipe ideas

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Being jobless means that I have the time to get dinner prepped and cooked each night. I've been trying to come up with new things though that aren't overly taxing to my limited talents and figured I'd see what others have for ideas. Like today I prepped some top sirloin (on sale at Fry's) by tenderizing it with a fork and set it up for a 24+ hour marinade in Trader Vic's Teriyaki sauce (that stuff ROCKS btw). Then I'll be rubbing in some Emeril's oriental spices tomorrow and cooking it.

So who's got some favorite and somewhat easy things ?

2. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    ramen w/ cream of mushroom soup
    egg salad w/ bacon
    almost anything w/ bacon

-D-
    bacon makes everything better

3. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Imperial Forces perfer crockpot cooked meals. You can throw all the ingredients into the pot, kill Rebels all day long and then your food is nice and hot when you get back to the Star Destroyer.

Here's a sample recipe:

Captain Pellaeon's Chicken and Rice
    Ingredients:
    1 cup rice (uncooked)
    2 cups water
    2 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can Campbell's condensed soup (any flavor, but Captain Pellaeon prefers Chicken & Mushroom)
    frozen vegetables (just pour a bunch on top of the rest of the ingredients)

Directions:
    1) In the morning combine all of the ingredients in the crockpot in the order listed and put the lid on.
    2) Turn crockpot to 'low' setting. This is very similar to the 'stun' setting we like to use to capture Rebels for interrogation.
    3) Do something else for a while.
    4) About an hour before you plan to eat, remove the lid to allow some of the excess water to evaporate.
    5) Serve and eat.

This recepe works for just about any combination of meat, sauce and vegetables. For example Captain Pellaeon has had good luck with an Italian-themed meal involving chicken, spaghetti sauce, and vegetables. When served over a plate of noodles it is very artistically done.

4. arizonasithlord

arizonasithlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    IA's brain is to big....

5. ashliepink

ashliepink Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    Can of Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup
    Bag of Egg Noodles
    One Grilled Chicken Breast

Boil Noodles
    Slice Chicken into small cubes

Place everything into a large pot, add some water, and heat until warm. Very good, and very filling.....

6. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    oooh, that *does* sound good...

how's 'bout some soulfood style mac-n-cheese? :D Yeah, this is the stuff I made on New Years -it's actually pretty easy.

1½ cups dry macaroni pasta

¼ cup chopped onion
    2 Tbsp butter

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
    ½ cup milk
    1½ cup shredded cheddar (I like Medium, use what you want)
    buttered bread crumbs (optional)

1. Bring water to boil, and cook macaroni according to package directions. While cooking, do the rest:

2. Sautee onions in butter until transparent.

3. Combine soup, milk, cheese and onion in a casserole dish. (The larger the dish, the less runny the finished product will be - it's all up to you.)

4. Add drained macaroni to mixture, and mix in thoroughly.

5. Cover with more shredded cheese - as much or as little as you like (I'm pretty liberal with it).

6. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

Yum. :D

7. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Middle Eastern Feast

Shawarmah (Choose your favorite meat)
    Cucumber Sauce
    Fatouch Salad
    Pita Bread

Cucumber Sauce
    Large Cucumber (few seeds) - Peeled, Diced and Seeded
    Large Container Plain Yogurt (Mountain Hi is the best stuff, but not sure you guys have that stuff - And I'll have to look up the ounces :p )
    1 Bunch of Cilantro - Finely Minced and dried with a paper towel*
    3 Cloves of Garlic - Minced
    1/4 Medium Onion - Minced
    Spices - Salt, Coarse Ground Pepper, Garlic Powder

Prepare at least 1 hour prior to serving (for best effect prepare the night before). Combine Diced Cucumbers, Yogurt, Minced Garlic, and Minced Onion in a large bowl. Take a 1/3 of the Cilantro and combine into mixture. Add salt and pepper to desired levels (salt approc 3/4 teaspoon to get started, and pepper to "color" the sauce - beyond that is personal preference). If you like strong sauces, then use 1/2 the Cilantro. Serve over Shawarmah or just plain with Pita Bread.

*Chop repeatedly until the whole bunch is reduced to tiny pile, then place onto a paper towel. Fold the paper towel over the minced cilantro several times and then press the excess juice from the cilantro. The paper towel should be very green when you are done (be careful, this stuff really stains).

Shawarmah
    2lbs of Meat (your choice totally) - sliced into very thin strips (like slivers)
    1/2 Medium Onion (Minced)
    3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
    1/2 Cup Olive Oil
    1/3 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
    2 Tsp Lemon Juice
    Cilantro (leftover from Cucumber Sauce)
    Spices - Cumin, Tumeric, Salt, Coarse Ground Pepper

In a measuring cup, pour in Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar & Lemon Juice. Add 1/2 Tsp of Cumin & Tumeric to liquid. Add salt and pepper to desired level (must use a little salt, but can use as little as a dash or two if this is an issue). Stir well. In a large bowl, combine Meat, Onion, Garlic & 1/3 of Cilantro. Combine Liquid and Meat, letting sit for at least an hour (longer the marinade, the more the flavor gets into the meat).

To Cook: Place in a skillet and sautee until cooked to desired level. Serve in a Pita with Cucumber Sauce and a Fatouch Salad.

Fatouch Salad
    Cucumber - Peeled & Diced
    Tomato - Diced
    Green Pepper - Diced
    1/4 Medium Onion - Minced
    1 Clove of Garlic - Finely Minced
    Olive Oil
    Lemon Juice
    Cilantro

Combine vegetables into a bowl. Pour enough Olive Oil to cover veggies. Add a few splashes of Lemon Juice. Sprinkle as much leftover Cilantro over the top of the bowl to cover the other ingredients. Toss well and serve with Shawarmah.

Shopping List
    2 Cucumbers
    1 Tomato
    1 Bunch of Cilantro
    1 Medium Onion
    1 Head of Garlic
    1 Green Pepper
    2lbs of Meat
    1 Large Container of Plain Yogurt
    Pita Bread (1-2 Packages)
    Olive Oil
    Red Wine Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Cumin
    Tumeric
    Salt
    Pepper - Coarse Ground

I gave you explicit directions, so this should be pretty easy... And if arrowheadpodracer can figure it out, I think Void can handle it ;) Either way, you are always welcome to call me with questions. :)

8. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Packing my bags to go to Denver now! :D

Forget-the-alarm-Chili

Hamburger . . . lots
    1 can Dark Kidney Beans
    1 can Light Kidney Beans
    1 can Pinto Beans
    1 can Black Beans
    1 can Chick Peas
    1 can Navy Beans
    Prepared Tomato Sauce (I like Ragu Pizza Sauce from Sam's club)
    1 can Tony Cachere's Creole Season

1. Haul wood in from outside
    2. put wood in woodburning stove
    3. pour kerosene on wood
    4. crumple up pages of the London Financial Times and stuff into woodburning stove
    5. light match and throw it into the stove
    6. prayer like crazy that your hair isn't singed
    7. get a really big skillet and cook the hamburger and make it "crumb like"
    8. throw the hamburger into a HUGE pot
    9. drain each can of beans (or peas) and put them in the pot
    10. pour in Prepared tomato sauce
    11. open the Tony's and pour in half the container
    12. think evil thoughts and pour in the rest of the container [face_devil]
    13. put the HUGE pot on the woodburning stove and bring to a boil for 1 hour (notice the cat is trying to bake his brain by getting as close to the stove as possible)
    14. after 1 hour, place bricks wrapped in foil under the pot
    15. Leave the pot on the stove for 2-3 days, stir occasionally
    16. invite friends over and serve chili with chopped onions, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a loaf of bread
    17. Have plenty of beverages and kleenex on hand
    18. Take pictures of your friend's faces as they taste the chili for the first time. Then laugh hard! [face_devil]
    19. give parting gifts of Bean-o as your friends leave
    20. Close door and have another good laugh looking at your friend's faces. Pick up cat to make sure he isn't completely baked and go to sleep

:D

9. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] @ IA! Even my husband got a giggle from your recipe and I can vouch for it (beggin' your pardon of course Grand Admiral, I know you don't need a Rebel like me to vouch for you but still...) I've made it many times and you can tailor it to your taste with things like garlic, etc. You can easily double/triple and such for larger crowds or freeze the leftovers in a freezer bag and save it for a night when you can't cook...just reheat in the Nuke and there you go.

One of my other favorites in a crock pot is good ol' fashioned beef stew. There is one catch though...you have to eat veggies and to my knowledge I'm not sure I've ever seen you do that Void. If you'd be willing to tolerate a carrot or potato or two, I'll post the recipe. If not, a lecture from a soon-to-be-nurse will quickly follow your nay vote, and believe me, I won't spare any details about what can happen to your colon if you don't eat veggies. ;)

10. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I wouldn't mind that recipe, Wench. Food is a form of art, after all. ;)

11. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    ZOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CEASE FIRE !!! CEASE FIRE !!!

Things for my LIMITED skill... :)

I do like veggies Wenchy, even had some tonight. Corn is my favorite of all time, carrots good too. I lived on potatoes for back when Intel cut my team.

12. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Crock pots are great, I love to set up a roast in the morning and come home to find it juicy and tender and ready to eat. Also pork chops and sauerkraut turn out well when cooked slowly all day that way. :)

ZOO, that recipe sounds good, maybe I'll give it a try sometime. :)
    I'm also wondering if anyone has a good recipe for a Cincinnati style chili?

13. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    **Recovers from dead faint**

NO WAY!!! I'm so proud of you BISKEY!

Here's the recipe which is one of my family's favorites:

Wenchy's Crockpot Beef Stew

2 lbs. stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 in cubes
    1/2 c. flour
    2 T oil
    1 bay leaf
    1 T Worcestershire sauce
    1 onion, chopped
    5 c. beef bouillon (1 beef bouillon cube dissolved per 1 c. water)
    1/4 tsp. pepper (fresh cracked is best but any will work)
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar (yes, sugar, just put it in and shut up, you'll thank me later)
    4-6 carrots sliced in whatever size pieces you like (I usually cut them a bit chunky)
    1 c. sliced celery (with a few of the leaves, it adds to the flavor)
    4-6 potatoes cut up in whatever size you like (chunky for me please AND here's a tip, for extra nutrition, leave the skin ON but if you're picky, peel 'em.)
    12 small pearl onions (yes, I know you put a chopped onion in earlier, but they're perfect and people always think it's cool to have little onions all for themselves AND it doesn't over power the stew with an oniony taste)

Coat the meat with the flour. Set excess flour aside (to thinken the stew juices with if necessary fifteen minutes before serving). In a skillet heat the oil over medium heat and then brown the meat.

**Side note: Now I know this is an extra step and that some crock-pot beef stew recipes say to just coat the meat and throw it in or just to put the meat it, BUT TRUST ME, browning the floured meat before you put it in the crock pot keeps the meat from becoming tough after sitting in a crock pot all day. It never fails**

After the meat is browned on the outside, not cooked all the way through, transfer the beef to the crockpot.

**Tip: Use a little of the beef bouillon to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and put those in the crock pot too...it enhances the beef flavor and the color of the stew juices.**

Next add the Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf (which you can omit if you like), onion, salt, pepper, sugar and veggies. Pour the rest of the bouillion over all.

Cook on low heat 8-10 hours. Turn to high heat and thicken with the remaining flour if you desire. (At first when you add the flour to the hot liquid it will clump, but don't worry, it dissolves down nicely in a few minutes.) Cook for 15 more minutes, remove the bay leaf, and ENJOY!

You can also add fresh minced garlic to taste if you like when you add the onion.

WHEW....I know it looks involved but it really only takes a small amount of time to get everything into the crock pot in the morning and then you get to forget it for the rest of the day. By noon you'll be aching for a taste of that stew...YUMMY!

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, so I gave VERY EXPLICIT directions.... Trust me, AHPR made this and he the guy who lived on frozen pizzas and the grilled cheese at the bar for 3 months straight before I resecued him from his cooking deficiency.... I swear, if you put your mind to it, you will find that it is VERY EASY to make and you will enjoy every bite...

Oh, and did I mention that this is also a perfect meal for a "not-so-quiet" evening at home... There is something about messy finger foods that brings up certain "feelings." AHPR refers to this as the perfect 3rd date dinner ;) [face_mischief] [face_devil] :D

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
  16. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout

17. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    :eek: Now *that's* an interesting chili recipe... can't say I'm familiar with "Cincinnati style"

EDIT: apparently I can't spell Cincinnati right the first time... :p

18. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    The stew recipie is very similar to mine, but as the meat is browning in the skillet I add chopped garlic and onions to carmelize and then put in the carrots celery corn (or whatever veggie but potatoes) to warm up, wait 'til they are sweating.
    Then I add a cup or two of broth (you can add shire sauce and stewd tomatoes or paste here if you're feeling wacky) and bring to boil while addind bay leaf, tyme and dill or what have you.
    Pour it all over the potatoes in the crock pot, making sure to get all the flavorful yummy bits out of the pan.

-D-
    and of course if you cook some bacon with the meat it is better

19. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Heya, you could try a Shepherd's Pie. Its pretty quick, the most time consuming thing you have to do is boil and mash the potatoes. All you do is take some ground beef (I usually use two of the roll packages you can get at Fry's) an onion, two ro three cloves of garlic and half a bag of frozen veggies (your choice). Put the potatoes on to boil (make sure you cut them into kind small pieces so they cook quickly). THen throw the meat, garlic (chopped) and onions (cut up of course, you wouldn't want to put a whole onion in there, it wouldn't cook) into a big skillett along with the veggies and cook until the meat is done-don't forget to season with salt and pepper.
    By the time the meat is done, the potatoes should be done. Put the meat on the bottom of a casserolle dish (oven safe!), mash the potatoes (adding what you want to make them nice and creamy aka butter or milk ot whatever)and put them on top. You can sprinkle cheese on the top if you want, I do, then put in the oven to melt the cheese for about 10 min (until the cheese is melted, duh). Add a salad and eat!

Zoo-I have been looking for a good schawarma recipe, thank you!

20. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    <tries very hard not to giggle out loud so as not to disturb the hardworking British students around her>
    IA, that recipe RULED.

21. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow, with all these receipes maybe we should have a potluck dinner. I know how to make some stuff but the best thing I know how to make is Mexican rice pudding.

22. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    Anyone else notice the slight issue in that chili recipe? Namely that it mentions cinnamon in the procedures but not in the ingredient list? Interesting...

23. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I didn't pay attention to that chili recipe cause mine is better 8-}

24. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    But is it Cincy chili?

25. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    No, it's Jada's Forget-the-alarm-chili!!!

Tonight, Chicken Waikiki Beach!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.