main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Recipe ideas

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Hey guys, we tried the Cincinatti Chili last night and it ROCKED!!! The cinnamon in it gave it a really unique flavor and the spiceyness was excellent! We were all sniffiling when we were finished eating. Even the little prince liked it and had a bazillion little bowls full. (disclaimer:this taste test occured at Queenie's house whilst going over DandD characters)

2. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Even the little prince liked it and had a bazillion little bowls full

[face_shocked] I hope you kept the Phazyme handy! ;)

3. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Oh yeah, that chili definately hit the spot. Thanks for finding the recipe zoo. FYI, to those that are curious, I used a half teaspoon of cinnamon which seemed to be about right.

4. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Oki Birrier, thanks. I await. And I know how to keep a secret, ask Sistine, Mick, and Mobius :D

5. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Next Up!

PHILADELPHIA CHEESESTEAKS

Ingredients

1 Package Thin Sliced Steak (You can use any kind of steak, including chuck, but if you get it thin sliced to begin with it cuts down in the work)
    Mozzarella Cheese (Grated - time saving again)
    Medium Onion (Chopped)
    Green Pepper (Seeded & Sliced)
    Mushrooms (Sliced)
    Butter/Margerine
    Seasoned Salt
    Hoagie Rolls

Cut the steak into thin strips and sprinkle some seasoned salt over the top. Melt the Butter/Margerine in a skillet on medium heat. Add enough of the veggies of your choice to the skillet for one to two sandwiches, when they begin to sweat, add the same amount of steak strips. Cook until desired level (separate into number of servings being prepared) and then sprinkle Cheese over each serving. Cover for a minute or until Cheese is thoroughly melted. With a spatula, scoop serving up and onto the open Hoagie Roll. Best served with Mac & Cheese or a fried potato product of your choice... Remember, this is not a recipe for anyone looking out for the cholesterol or fat intake! [face_laugh]

6. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't believe y'all didn't bring it to Gaming Night!
    Weren't you taught to share?

-D-
    :p

7. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Aw heck...

I swore I would never tell, but here it goes...

How to make Commander Choads Santa Maria Style BBQ

2 tri tips, approx 3-4 lbs... you will need to get this cut by the butcher, as you want all of the membrane removed, but with fat on the back of it...
    This is usually only done at Basha's...

3 garlic cloves (or equivalent ready chopped)
    10 tbsp cracked black pepper
    4 tbsp salt
    1 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper

1 #10 can baked beans
    1 bottle Kraft Spicy Honey bbq sauce

2 heads lettuce
    1 carrot, shredded

2 loaves french bread
    garlic butter to taste

Alright, this is one of my favourites, and for those blessed few who have had my tri-tip, you know what this is like...

Tri-Tip Prep
    Combine dry ingredients, mix well
    chop or food process garlic so it is essentially fine mush.
    add dry ingredients to garlic mush
    coat each tri tip liberally 1 day prior to cooking, refrigerate.

beans
    combine beans and bbq sauce 1 day prior to cooking, refrigerate
    heat and serve

salad
    tear lettuce leaves in quarters, shred carrot - mix well - serve with dressing of choice

bread
    split each loaf of bread horizontally, lengthwise.
    coat with garlic butter - hold in reserve

bbq prep
    in a 21 inch or larger weber style (round) grill, use approx 5-8 lbs of charcoal to create a pyramid in the center of the grill. make sure the bottom vents are all open... (fire needs to breathe)

use 2-3 LARGE handfuls of hickory chips, place chips in a large pot, cover with hot (not boiling) water. Place pot on the stove over low heat. the object is to hold the water at that temp, as it induces the chips to absorb more moisture.

Light charcoal, let it burn until there is a fine coating of white/grey ash on each briquet. You should be able to observe intense orange flames, no higher than 1-3 inches coming from the pyramid... this means that the charcoal is well lit, and is now ready to cook on.
    Remove tri tip from refrigerator, hold in ready reserve (i.e. ready to go on the fire right now)

Using a CLEAN garden hoe, spread the coals in the bbq so there is a bank of coals on either side of the bbq, and very few to none in the center.

take the hickory chips, and scatter over the coals, using approx 4/5 of the chips the first time.

They will hiss, steam, and finally start to smoke.

Put the grill on the bbq (be careful) and place the tri-tips over the center part of the grill... the object here is to smoke and roast them, via indirect heat... not to grill them... (that's a whole different taste and procedure, usually done over oak)

Place the lid on the grill, make sure the top vent is approx 85% open... this will help the fire to smother itself, and let the meat smoke... DO NOT close the top vent any more than this, as you will smother the fire completely.

at approximately 15-20 minutes, start 1-2 lbs of charcoal in a chimney starter (especially if doing large amounts of meat) - these coals will be ready in about 10 minutes... just in time to check the fire.

At the 30-35 minute mark, check the fire, it should still be going, and quite hot, although not burning profusely... add coals/reserved hickory chips as needed to keep the smoking process going. (you will need to remove the grill, preferably with welder type, or other insulated gloves... I usually put the grill on my other bbq, to keep it hot while I add coals etc)

Start heating the beans at this point.

the meat should be done at about 45-50 minutes for medium/rare - 55-60 minutes for medium. Make sure that you pull the meat off at this point, as it will continue to cook a little after you pull it.

Place the garlic bread on the grill - butter side up, cover with foil tent (i.e. not directly touching the bread, you can use the bbq lid if you want), wait about 5-7 minutes and it will be perfect.

let the meat rest for approximately 10 minutes before cutting.

(cook's prerogative to enjoy any particularly savory bits as they come off)

Cut the meat, starting at th

8. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Sounds good, Choad. When are we having it??? :D ;)

OK, here are the very simple directions to:

Jada's Roasted Beast

1 Beef Roast, chuck or otherwise
    1 to 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup (if watching salt intake, use reduced sodium version)
    1 to 2 yellow onions, cut up in rings or strips
    Garlic
    Pepper
    Sherry or Red Wine (optional)
    Water
    Potatoes (peeled and halved)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. Place roast in a 13X9 pan (or if the roast is smaller, it can go into a cassarole)
    3. Pour soup over the roast and use spoon to spread it. It is optional to add water as the soup mixes with the juices of the roast as it cooks.
    4. Add garlic and pepper to taste.
    5. (Optional)Add sherry or Red wine, this can be regular or cooking
    6. Bake for 2 hours covered, basting often
    7. Add potatoes and baste the potatoes
    8. Bake another hour. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting

9. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Dikion-they couldn't bring any to gaming night because we ate it all!! :D

10. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    took me a long time to get to the net, but the ribs recipe is waiting for you in your PM VD.

11. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I found this on The Crypt thread:

AUSTRALIAN BOOMERANG CHILI
    Caution: Not for those folks who are cholesterol conscious!

1/2 lb. package bacon

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 medium onions (coarsely chopped)

1 stalk celery (coarsely chopped)

1 green bell pepper (cored, seeded, coarsely chopped)

2 lbs. top beef sirloin (cut into 1 inch cubes)

1 lb. ground beef

1 lb. ground pork

4 tbsp ground "hot" red chili (I use ground Thai peppers)

3 tbsp ground "mild" red chili

1 tbsp dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

6 12-oz cans beer (Australian..like Fosters)

1 tsp ground cumin

1 14 1/2 oz can whole tomatoes

3 tsp brown sugar

1 small can tomato paste

1 Boomerang (optional, but makes the chili authentic)

black, red, and white pepper

cajun spice

garlic salt

1. Fry bacon in skillet over med. heat. Drain on paper towels and cut into 1/2" dice and put aside. (sip beer)

2. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and green pepper and cook until onions are translucent. (sip beer)

3. Combine all the beef and pork with the ground chili, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Add this mixture to the pot. Break up any lumps with fork and cook until meat is browned. (sip beer)

4. Add 2 cans of beer, tomatoes, tomato paste, and bacon to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer (uncovered) for approx. 1 1/2 hrs. Add a sprinkled covering over the mixture of black, red, white pepper, garlic salt, and cajun spice. Wave boomerang over pot 14 times (completely optional.. this adds no flavor, just humor and fun!). Stir for 3 min, taste and adjust seasonings, add more beer if desired, and if any is actually left at this point. (sip more beer)

5. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours longer. (sipping beer)

6. Add brown sugar and simmer for 15 more min. (vigorously waving boomerang again over pot while sipping beer) This will serve approx. 8 people (or 2 kangaroos and a koala).

And thankyou Gabe for posting the recipe!

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Next up! The awesome Minestrone I discovered the other night (that's right, I can't take any credit for this recipe, cuz I got it from a cookbook :D )

This one's for the slow-cooker. YUM!

Forgotten Minestrone

1 lb. beef stewing meat
    6 cups water
    28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 beef bouillon cube (or 1 tsp boullion granules)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp. minced dry parsley
    1½ tsp. salt
    1½ tsp. dried thyme
    ½ tsp. pepper

Combine all these ingredients in the slow-cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 7-9 hours, or until meat is tender. Just before serving, pull out meat and shred, then return it to the soup.

1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
    2 cups finely chopped cabbage
    16 oz. can Garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
    1 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni, OR shell pasta
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Stir in zucchini, cabbage, beans and pasta. Cover and cook on High for 30-45 minutes, or until veggies are tender.

Sprinkle servings with Parmesan cheese.

Okay, I left out the cabbage. I don't know about anyone else, but limp wilted cabbage leaves in my soup just isn't appetizing to me.

Also, the Garbanzo Beans can be left out without any problem. I put them in cuz I had a can and figured it was a good way to get rid of them. :D They actually weren't bad in the soup, but the taste-testers said they could have done without them. If you really want beans in the soup, then Kidney beans or white beans would be a good substitute.

Add more pasta. :D Maybe a ½ cup more, or if you're feeling bold, go for another full cup. But this is a pretty hearty soup already, so I'd stick with the extra ½ cup.

Yum yum yum! ENJOY!!

13. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    One really easy thing I like to do for an appetizer, meal, anytime food is: Mom's Special Salami and Cream Cheese.

Mom's Special Salami and Cream Cheese

1 tub of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, unflavored
    Any number finely minced baby carrots (optional)
    1 finely minced red peppers (optional)
    1 finely minced stalk of celery (optional)
    1/4 finely minced onion (optional)
    1 clove finely minced clove garlic (optional)
    1 lb of deli sliced hard salami

What you do is you take a knife, cut some of the cream cheese up and spread a portion in the salami and role the pieces up. That's all.

What I liked to do if it was going to be a high protein meal and I wanted my veggies too is that I would mince any number of crunchy vegetables mixed it in with the cream cheese and then spread it out on the salami.

If I was in a hurry to prepare appetizers for a party I would buy a tub of flavored cream cheese with mixed vegetables or any other flavorful cream cheese and then set them out. Do not try the sweet cream cheeses like pinepple or strawberry cream cheese - those are not very good (unless you love them)

These little things go like hotcakes once the person goes past the stage of saying "Ew, gross. Salami and cream cheese? Yuck."

This recipe maye also work for some other variety of meats, say if you want to set up a colorful platter of veggies, cold cuts, and cream cheese dip at a party.

I dunno if other people know of this super easy recipe, but my mom discovered it years ago and it is always a hit.

14. ashliepink

ashliepink Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    That sounds good, I will have to try that.....

15. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Hard Salami! Yummy! :D

16. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Heh heh heh... was digging around for my stroganoff recipe tonight, and discovered that it's MIA (I think it's residing at Choad Hall). So, I dug around on AllRecipes.com and found a substitute recipe that tastes exactly the same. YUMMY! So, I decided to share. It's pretty easy, too.

Easy Beef Stroganoff

3 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
    ½ onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 cup beef broth (or disolved beef bullion in 1 C. water - follow bullion directions)
    ½ cup sour cream

1. Sauté mushrooms and chopped onion in the butter until tender. Remove from pan.

2. Add ground beef to pan and cook until browned. Add flour and salt and stir well. Add beef broth and cook until slightly thickened.

3. Add mushroom and onions back to pan and mix. Add sour cream and heat through - do not allow to boil.

Serve hot over noodles or rice.

My only suggestion to the recipe - add fresh cracked pepper to taste.

mmmmmm... stroganoff... ;)

17. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    hmmmm... I'm the only one who still posts here. You'd think I liked this thread, or something... ;)

Super-easy-tastes-like-you-cooked-all-day Spaghetti Sauce
    (but not nearly as good as Zoo's :D )

½ lb. ground beef
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 tsp. sugar (or more to taste - depends on how tangy you like your sauce)
    Italian Seasoning (yes, you find it with the other spices) to taste
    1/8 cup (about) of grated Parmesan Cheese

1. Brown ground beef

2. Add tomato sauce, sugar and Italian seasoning - let simmer for a minute or two.

3. Add Parmesan Cheese - mix in thoroughly while it melts.

Serve over spaghetti noodles.

Side-dish suggestion - Mamma Bella's garlic bread. It comes frozen, so throw it in the (pre-heated) oven just before you start making the sauce. It'll be done at about the same time.

Mmmm mmm mmm.

:D

18. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Betcha it's not as good as my spaghetti sauce recipie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.