main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Reckoner - Jaina et al. AU - post-NJO (UPDATED - CH. 6: 7/26)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KnightJaina, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Title: Reckoner
    Author: KnightJaina
    Genre: Drama, Action
    Characters: Jaina mainly/many of the NJO characters, as well as a few OCs
    Notes: This story has been in the making for the past 3 years or so. In the intervening time I haven?t written much for the Boards, so hope this still makes sense! It takes place immediately after the NJO books, and is completely AU.
    Disclaimer: The title comes from a Radiohead song. The Star Wars universe (beyond my OCs and forthcoming plotline) belongs solely to George Lucas & Co.

Feedback is certainly appreciated!

Prologue

Less than one year has passed since the end of the devastating war with the Yuuzhan Vong. In that time, those left behind have mourned, and done what they could to rebuild the lives they once led. The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, vastly overwhelmed with the seemingly impossible task of restoration, frantically continue to pull all available resources to bring order to the ravaged galaxy. Large rewards have been offered to anyone who can help rein in the straggling war criminals back under government control. Meanwhile, the official death toll continues to rise. The Jedi, following the guidance of Luke Skywalker and the New Jedi Council, continue to provide aid within all reaches of space. However their numbers are too small, and the demand for their assistance too great. They must simply rely on the Force to lead them to where they are most needed.

Slipping between the folds of confusion, a long forgotten Alliance takes the opportunity to step up its assault on the free humans of the galaxy. Though, they continue to function with discretion until such a time when their numbers are too great to be ignored.

Jaina Solo has been working tirelessly fulfilling her duties both as a Jedi Knight and Lieutenant Colonel. Her uncle, Luke, has sent her to the Outer Rim territory to investigate reports of an increasing disturbance taking shape among the systems there. The military has granted her request to be accompanied by her squadron, Twin Suns. Now they advance forward with the hope of settling the conflict quickly so they might return to the Core where they feel the most trouble lies?

Chapter 1 will be posted shortly! Thanks!

2. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Looks interesting! Please place me on the PM list!

3. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Sounds good, I'm looking forward to more.

4. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Great start, can't wait for more. Please put me on the pm list.

5. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, this looks very interesting. Please add me to your PM list.

6. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Thank you for your interest everyone! Here's chapter 1. As always, thoughts, constructive criticism, likes, dislikes, etc. are much appreciated. :)

Current PM list:
    G__Anakin
    Kailene
    Ultima_1

Chapter One

Sunlight struggled to shine through the grime shadowing the only two windows of the room. It traced odd patterns across the floor and highlighted the floral designs that so defined her.

?We received four more confirmations this morning, and I have already dispatched two more cruisers to relay the last shipments of the week. The small uprising in the southeast quadrant was quickly suppressed and precautions have been put in place to discourage further action,? the aging Wookie paused as the translator droid caught up with her speech. ?Otherwise, all else is proceeding steadily.?

The figure standing at the forefront of the room nodded thoughtfully. Her filed teeth gleamed as she smiled, ?Well done. You have become a powerful asset to our operations here and will be well rewarded. You should be proud of all you have accomplished.?

The Wookie inclined her head in quiet gratitude.

?Now, if you would go finish preparations in the bunkers, I must complete this before the demonstration tonight.?

She returned her attention to the charts and maps spread out on various datapads before her. The sweet gratification of retribution would soon be firmly within her grasp.

?What do you mean we have no way of telling when we?ll come out of hyperspace??

Her little R2 unit tweedled at her accusingly.

?Of course I checked everything before we left. The glitch with the sensors was fixed! I ran the entire system three times through,? Jaina Solo glowered at the communication console as the droid replied.

?Fine. Since you obviously find my abilities so untrustworthy, why didn?t you catch the glitch??

Cappie merely whistled softly.

Jaina growled in frustration. ?I could fix all my problems if I just uploaded you some new personality traits.?

The droid remained prudently silent.

Flipping over to the squadron?s frequency, Jaina relayed the problem. When everyone confirmed the malfunction, she sighed. It wasn?t fatal or a big issue really, it just meant she would spend less time meditating, and more time calculating their drop out sequence during this hyper jump. Tedious, but doable.

So much of the past year could be described in the same way. The war was over. Somehow, though she had often doubted it would happen, Jaina had come out alive. She still had moments when she wasn?t sure if that was a good thing or not.

Countless millions had died, fighting in the hope for survival and better times. Now, the slaughter had subsided, but had the better times yet been realized?

The government was struggling to reassert its authority throughout the galaxy. It was having particular difficulty within those systems that had been claimed by the Yuuzhan Vong, and ?ruled? by the instated puppet governments. The trouble was, those same governing bodies felt they had done such a good job under the imposition of the invaders that they should not have to answer to any other higher group of officials now. They had just reclaimed their freedom, why sacrifice even the slightest bit of it again? Cal Omas was up to his ears in paperwork and bureaucratic negotiations. The last time Jaina had seen him, she had gotten the distinct impression that he simply wanted to crawl under his desk and cry. A weaker man might have given in to the temptation.

The Jedi were feeling similar pressures, though not for the same reasons. Luke Skywalker had done an incredible job of organizing the remaining Jedi, and in the few short months since the battles? end, he had built the Jedi Order into something that Jaina was sure even the legendary Master Yoda would be proud of. Measured in numbers, it could not come close to what the Jedi Order had once been decades before, however in strength, it far exceeded everyone?s expectations.

But, as with any tragedy, blame had to be assigned, fingers had to be poin

7. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Just wanted to give this a boost! :)

8. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Arguing with a droid is always funny and I'm really interested in what this mission is all about.

9. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    "The figure standing at the forefront of the room nodded thoughtfully. Her filed teeth gleamed as she smiled." Somehow I think she is going to be causing alot of trouble for Jaina and the Jedi.

Great first chapter - can't wait to see what the mission is and what happens.

10. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Hello! Thank you for the replies! I've written chapter 2, so just need to proof it and get it on here. I'm hoping to have it posted tomorrow sometime.

-kj.

11. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    So I'm one day later than expected. My internet decided to fritz out on me last night, and there was nothing to be done!

Current PM list:
    G__Anakin
    Kailene
    Ultima_1

Chapter Two

Jagged Fel?s heels clicked against the cold metal floor as he approached the command deck of the Alliance vessel. Just over 13 months ago, he had left the known regions to report back to his father in Chiss space. He had hated every minute of that time.

Jag had always made a point of not letting regrets rule his life. He felt that if he focused too much on the past, he would never accomplish anything in the present. However, this philosophy had slipped recently as one decision haunted him endlessly.

He had left her. Yes, he had been explicitly told to return to his posting on Csilla, but for many months, he had decided to stay there. He could have requested a transfer and had it put through within three standard months. But he had convinced himself that his presence was not wanted and that he could better serve the causes he believed in from his station on Csilla. That moment he and Jaina had shared, when he had asked her to come with him, was forever seared in his mind. He had replayed the scene a hundred times over.

There must have been something he could have said to convince her to come with him at least for a little while. Or been more eloquent and found a way to show her that he meant to come back. Asked her to wait for him. But somehow, as he sat in his cockpit while making the long sequence of hyperspace jumps back to Csilla, he had talked himself into believing that Jaina couldn?t possibly care for him more deeply than a friend, let alone love him. And so, as he climbed out of his cockpit and planted his feet once more on his home planet?s surface, his wounded pride and broken heart in tow, he swore to himself that he wouldn?t contact her. He would let her seek him out if she so wished, because the last thing he wanted was to appear desperate. Thirteen months later, Jag wished he had been more prudent.

Now he had returned to her realm, and he wasn?t sure if he was looking forward to the possibility of running into her again, or wholly terrified by the prospect. He had half a mind to drop all protocol upon meeting her and yell until every bit of resentment and hurt had left him. That, or drop to one knee and propose. Jag hadn?t figured that one out either.

The door in front of him whooshed open. After he stepped through, he immediately snapped to attention and announced himself. As the commander turned to him though, Jag visibly relaxed.

?Hello, Jag,? Wedge Antilles greeted his nephew with a small smile. ?Nice to have you back.?

Jag grasped his uncle?s outstretched hand before Wedge pulled him into an embrace. ?It?s good to see you, sir.?

Wedge gave him an admonishing look. His nephew simply shrugged. ?Force of habit.?

General Antilles shook his head in mock exasperation and walked over to a console. Jag followed.

?You?d think after spending so much time around us rebels, we would have rubbed off on you a bit more.?

Jag smirked slightly. ?Sorry to disappoint. I guess my father wins on that count.?

?Perhaps, but you?re here now, so I?d say I?m getting the better end of this deal.? Wedge gestured to the screen. ?Unfortunately for you, that may mean an increase on your work load.?

?One of the hazards in this line of work.?

Wedge nodded, ?True, true.? He pushed a button and called up a region only a few parsecs away. ?As I?m sure you?ve heard on nearly every holovid news cast, small bands of resistant Peace Brigadiers teamed with rogue Yuuzhan Vong have been wreaking havoc among the weaker, less fortified systems. We just haven?t had the time or resources to get to everyone yet. It?s been a taxing job deciding which systems need our help first, but we?re doing the best we can. Now that you?re here, I?m assigning you as leader back on Vanguard, and we?ll be sending you to where the Peace Brigadier forces are hitting hardest.?

Jag?s eyes scanned the readouts as they prog

12. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Oh no! Poor Jag, and Jaina. I'll be betting this isn't how they ever wanted to meet.

13. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Jag's introspection was interesting, it's nice to see Jaina not painted as at fault for not jumping to go to Csilla with him.

What happened to Twin Suns!?

I'm terrible with suspense, more please?

14. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    Yay, Jag's back!!

....they claim to be all that remains of Twins Suns squadron - Nooo, I can't take cliffhangers like that, when do we get more. I don't suppose that luck would be on Jaina's side and she would be one of the three returning?

As Luke described it, 'just a routine check', Doesn't everybody realize by now that giving a Solo something that should be "just routine" always ends in disaster.

Wedge had often surprised him with his inane abilities of observation. Wedge is such a romantic softy at heart.

15. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Hello and thank you for the comments! I'm glad chapter 2 was well received. :)

Chapter 3 is nearly complete, and will be up tomorrow or Friday once again. In fact, this system seems to be working well with my schedule (knock on wood, right?), so I think I'm going to try to get a new chapter up during the Thurs./Fri. window every week.

Stay tuned for more!

-kj.

16. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Well the best laid plans you know? My computer failed me completely since last I posted on here, losing some of my work and disrupting my plans. However, the situation is finally looking up, so here is chapter 3. Or rather, the first part of chapter 3. I intended for it to be longer, but haven't had a chance to complete it yet. The rest will hopefully be up shortly.

Thanks for your patience!

Chapter Three: part 1

Anakin stood daydreaming off into the distance from his perch atop the Massassi temple buried deep within Yavin 4?s jungles. His life held endless possibilities, and his early training successes proved he would grow to be a very powerful Jedi. He was living up to his namesake well; Jaina just hoped he wouldn?t match their grandfather in every manner.

She had climbed to the top of the temple searching him out, but now that she had found him, she didn?t quite have the heart to disturb her younger brother.

?It?s all right, Jaya, I never mind having you for company.?

It felt like he was speaking from inside her head, his voice enveloped her so completely.

?How do you always do that?? Jaina asked, moving to stand beside her youngest brother. ?I never was able to sneak up on you. You just always knew.?

Anakin smiled wistfully. ?You practically blaze in the Force. It?s hard to miss.?

Jaina sighed. ?Masking my presence has never come easily.?

?Naw, you?re getting better, I just know you too well.?

They sat side-by-side, their legs dangling off the side of the temple into open air. The space around them changed and the sun which they had been watching rise just moments before slowly began to set.

?The setting sun always makes me feel a little sad. Like the sight of it reminds me of everything I failed to do once again,? Jaina explained.

?You?re no failure, Jaya. You?re the strongest person I know.?

She shook her head. ?I failed our family when I fell. I failed my pilots when I could not get them through safely.? She paused, then added quietly, ?I failed you.?

The sun grazed the top of the horizon of trees.

?It was my time, Jaina.?

?You were so young, it couldn?t have been your time.?

?We?re bringers of peace. That includes allowing peace to come to ourselves. You have to let go,? Anakin said. His body was slowly fading with the sunlight, taking on a translucent, bluish appearance.

?I can?t.?

?You must.?

Silence overtook them once the echoes of his words stopped ringing in her head. Jaina felt the forcibly suppressed pain begin to permeate her heart. She tried so hard to occupy her mind with happier thoughts, but sometimes there was no escape.

Anakin reached over and took her hand. Looking down, Jaina could see clear through his blue flesh and saw her hand faintly outlined beneath it.

?I?m worried about you,? he said.

His hand looked like it gripped hers tightly, but she could barely feel the pressure or warmth of it. She could see it, but she could not feel it.

?Why??

His fingers clenched even more tightly.

?Because it will not be easy.?

?I?m not afraid.?

Their eyes met.

?You can?t hide forever, Jaina.?

Her brow furrowed, confused. ?I?m not hiding.?

?You are.?

?From what??

His eyes held her own intensely.
    ?Yourself.?

The sun disappeared completely below the horizon.

17. Griffins_Ember

Griffins_Ember Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!! Please post more!!!!
    PLEASE?!

18. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    It's nice to see Anakin again, and that he's looking after Jaina. (Even though that probably means that Jaina has crashed, is unconscious, & seriously injured) He always was wise beyond his years.

His fingers clenched even more tightly. "Because it will not be easy." That sounds very ominous, especially when it comes from a force-ghost. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Anxiously awaiting more.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh just found this and I love it!!! J/J = =P~ !!!!! If you don't believe it look at my siggy LOL!!!!!! Could I have PMs please?

[face_dancing]

20. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    This is really great!

The scene between Anakin and Jaina was touching, but I'm still dying to find out what happened to Twin Suns... and of course see a Jag and Jaina reuinion. ;)

21. gonz10

gonz10 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2008
    =D= Lovin' this! That last post was touching, and I really want to know what happened with Twin Suns. Is Jaina still with them?

22. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    You guys are terrific. :) I'm working on typing up the second part to chapter 3, and it (fingers crossed!) should be up this evening.

Thanks for you feedback and enthusiastic comments!

-kj.

23. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    =D=

=D=

Yay!! Can't wait!!!!!

24. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    All right, as promised part 2!

Everything felt dark. The light hurt....it was foggy....or fuzzy....her head....light.....stop.

"I think she said something."

"Doesn't matter, we're almost done."

Hard.....sharp.....the voices.....harsh.

"What if she comes out of it early?" ....nervous..... "Can we, huh, handle her?"

A dry chuckle. The fog was clearing.

"It's been taken care of. She's well dosed."

The light wouldn't stop...painful..empty.

"...stop.."

"There. She is waking up." A small tug at her wrists. Then her ankles. "These things tight enough?"

"Would you stop your worrying? It's been tested, she's harmless. Let's just finish her up so we can start fixin' the other two."

The world was slowly coming back into focus. It was bright. Everything was illuminated. But it was dark; dark to her very core. Empty. Stripped. Something was missing. What....

"What..." her voice failed her, but she pressed on. "You did...to me...what?"

Again that raspy laugh. "Do not fret, you will remember in time."

There was nothing in the bright room that was not touched by light. It was her. The darkness was her.

"I can't...what did you do?"

A garish, horrible, unkind face swam in front of her.

"How does it feel, human, to know the frailty us mortals must endure daily? What did you think, Jedi, that your precious Force would protect you forever?"

She couldn't sense them. She couldn't feel anything. It was all gone.

Jaina reached into that space deep within her that she always associated with her connection to the Force. Nothing. Something had ripped it from her, leaving nothing more than a void, a dark and empty void.

Immediately she began thrashing around, trying to free herself. But the two beings on either side of her were too strong, and she was too weak. Panic began to rise into her throat.

"Let go! What have you done to me?!" Jaina growled.

There was a sharp pinch on her upper, bare arm. The two aliens released her instantly limp form. The drug moved quickly.

"No..." she tried to yell, scream, but could manage nothing more than a whisper. Her body froze too rapidly, and she was left as defenseless as she felt incomplete.

"What did you do?" she moaned once more, before utterly succumbing to the poisonous liquid.

One of her captors nudged his companion over Jaina's still form. "See, told ya' it worked."

I'm sorry it's so short. More to come!

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh no!!! :eek: :eek: [face_worried]

Am on the edge of my seat!!!
    [face_batting]
    Hugs!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.