Recollections: or The JC's Top Twenty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Well, this November 2, I?ll pass a real milestone. I?ll have been a contributing member of this forum for five years. Wow. I?ll admit, when I signed up, to get a piddling question about The Truce at Bakura answered, I never foresaw sticking around this long.

I?ve seen a lot of changes here. Attitudes have changed, both in the administration and in the general populace. New forums have appeared (God, how many new forums have I seen pop up?). New features continue to be added. And new people . . . good Lord, all the new people.

My career here has been pretty varied. I?ve been a regular poster in many different forums and that perhaps accounts for my perspective being a little different than most. Somehow, I?m at a loss to explain it at this point, I even became a mod. But more about that part of my time here a bit later.

So, here?s my thought: leading up to my fifth anniversary, I?m going to look back over my years here and count down the top twenty things I?ve been a part of. Threads, events, administrative issues, invasions, feuds, basically my top twenty memories. For those who?ve been around for the same things, it?ll be a nostalgia trip. For those new members, it?ll be a history lesson. And for those who don?t care, it?ll be a place to post ?+1.? *braces for initial response of ?+1?*

So stick around. If I look familiar, you might even get a mention. These fall into several larger categories which I?ll be pointing out as we come to them. There will, of course, be overlaps in these categories, but the main thrust of each pick will tend toward one or the other.

Without further ado, here?s number 20:

The first category we come to is a simple one: Personalities. You know what I mean: there are some ?interesting? people around here. You?ve seen your share and I?ve seen mine. So, pick number 20 on my list is not one, but two personalities, locked in a constant feud.

I?ll say their names. And you will remember them, if you ever knew them. Ethril. Training_for_Utopia.

#20. Ethril vs. Training_for_Utopia

The former was a flamboyant homosexual, the latter a fervent Christian. Yeah, you see where this is going, don?t you?

These days, it?s interesting to note, we have users with the word ?gay? predominately featured in their user names and entire social threads dedicated to the gay lifestyle. Today, in fact, seems to have an above average amount of ?discussion? of homosexuality, so perhaps it?s kismet that I post this today. It wasn?t quite so back then. He was a card and Ethril broke down some walls, though I doubt he ever thought about it that much.

But it was in their feud that they attained levels of pure genius. They were truly greater than the sum of their parts and their relationship seemed to defy explanation. They were directly opposed in almost every important way, but they seemed to genuinely enjoy talking. They exchanged pictures. Best of all, they had long, rambling, sometimes bitterly angry, conversations/arguments on Instant Messenger and then posted the best bits for everyone to read. Those would reach their zenith when Training_for_Utopia would theorize that Ethril had been raped as a child and that was why he was homosexual. Ethril argued that he didn?t recall such a thing. The answer: of course it was repressed. And still the two were friends . . . you just had to laugh.

Never forget them. I?ll never forget them.

But the punchline would come later, a year or so after their golden age, after they?d both been banned a few times and had dropped out of sight. The attacks of September 11 would leave the boards reeling, as everywhere that people gathered was, as people tried to make sense of it. For the first few days, even first couple of weeks, it seemed every thread in YJCC was about the tragedies.

Ethril came out of nowhere and posted a thread about how ugly Shelly Duvall was. I laughed. Someone posted in the thread, stating that it was a stupid thread. ?Yeah, I gu
  2. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    You are making me feel old... and I haven't even been here all that long. :p
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Given some recent threads, that's pretty ironic stuff.

Looking forward to reading the rest of all this :).
  4. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    Brilliant!

=D=

Im looking forward to the rest of this indeed.
  5. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Awesome. Very awesome. Happy anniversary, Rogue. You're the best. :) [face_love]
  6. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
  7. Jjanda_Solo Force Ghost

star 5
    Thank you, Rogue 1.5, I could kiss you. :*

I thought I was the only one that still thought those guys were the neatest thing on the JC ever (well, one of the neatest things anyway). I still have them both on my WUL (it's TrainingForUtopia, btw, not Training_For_Utopia :p).

I look forward eagerly to your next recollection.

=D=
  8. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
  9. The-D Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting reading. I'll probably have no knowledge of any events that will placed on this top 20 list because I'm a n00b, but I just wanted to say nicely done, and w00t, I'm on the first page. :D
  10. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hopefully Bib's on the list somehow. When it's my turn in 09, he's a definite. Hopefully the moments will be spread around so oldbies and noobs will know something.
  11. StarWars_Revelation Force Ghost

star 5
    I remember those two. I never realized that that was Ethril's last post...wow. I haven't seen TFU in a while either. Wow, I feel...weird.
  12. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Very good, I'll be sticking around this thread.
    A JCC thread with content, what a novel idea? Or perhaps an old idea revisited.

-Seldon
  13. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm sort of with D.

November will be my one year mark and some of the coolest things that have happened to me on here I'm sure most of you have never heard of.

I'm too much of a n00b to remember anything, so here's hoping you post a memory from late '04 to early '05 in there somewhere. :p

Congrats, BTW.
  14. Connemara Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hehe, is this top 20 going to go on until your 5 year anniversary Rogue?

Btw, incidentally your anniversary is also my birthday. :p

I remember TFU and Ethril well. Both were good friends of my best friend, Saint. In TFU's later years after being perm banned from the JC, he got a little strange. I think he later decided HE was gay. Perhaps it was Ethril's influence. :p

At any rate, they were a couple of characters.

Hehe your thread is getting me excited about MY 5 year anniversary thread, coming up in November 18th. I wonder what I will come up with to say about the JC this year. Heh, gonna be an interesting one.
  15. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
    Same as you Darth D. Looking foward for this 'history lesson'
  16. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I really hope you post one of your entries as noir. There isn't enough noir around here.
  17. Jedimaster_Prowl Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not well known enough around here to post an anniversary thread, so I'll just post in yours. Bring on the memories...
  18. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    That brought back old memories.

~PK~
  19. The-D Jedi Master

star 4
    When can we expect #19?
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    For the record:

I'm not positive the Shelley Duvall thread was his last post . . . just the last time I saw him.

And my mistake on screw up Utopia's name. I'm going to start researching these a little better. I whipped that one out in a hurry . . . From now on, more research.

Utopia decided HE was gay . . . forget my Shelley Duvall thread. That's got to be the best punchline I've ever heard. [face_laugh]

As for the timeline, well, these are my favorites, though hopefully I'll pick some that others remember as well. There are a few more recent ones and ones from several different forums, so hopefully . . . well, anyway.

I kind of thought I'd make this last until my anniversary in Nov, which would average out to a post about every four to five days. There's more interest than I thought there would be at this point and I want to be flexible . . .but at the same time, I do want to take the time to research and write them well. I'll research my next post tomorrow and work on writing it out Thursday. I'll probably post it Friday or Saturday.

Oh and I will just say that someone who posted in this thread also posted in the thread I'm going to be bringing up next time . . . so place your bets now on the soon to be celebrity ( :p ) in our midst.

As well, next time, I'm going to start something that I think will make this all even more fun: posting links to demonstrate what I'm talking about. That's right: if you like, you can click on history (great slogan there!) and see what I'm talking about first hand. I might just try to dig up a link or two dealing with Ethril and TFU and post it tomorrow. Unless they've been pruned.

I would love it if I could find that Duvall thread again. . .

Anyway, thanks for all the positive feedback. :D

21. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    Good first post. Man, I missed alot of good stuff here.
  22. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
  23. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Very original, insightful idea.
  24. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    im looking forward to more
  25. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *looking forward to more*