main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recollections: or The JC's Top Twenty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Aug 1, 2005.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    dang. How you gon get my hopes up like that? I thought Rogue posted another bit, but it was just you bumping this thread.

jeez...

[smiley]

2. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hehe, cool idea Rpgue. I ought to do soemthing like this sometime, I'm always going on about various bits of JC history. Trouble is a great deal of what I know is better left buried...forever. [face_devil]

Anyways, posting links would be cool. Good luck finding some TFU Ethril stuff though, I think that stuff might be long pruned. :confused:

3. MissAmidala2

MissAmidala2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Wow, I missed so much stuff, and I'm not even that new.

4. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Awesome thread and congrats!

5. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Well I'm here to wet your nostalgic whistle, and not in that Ethril way ;)

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I looked for that Shelley Duvall thread. It's long gone.

Same for a Short Round McFly thread I'm looking for for my next post. Long gone.

#19 should be up tomorrow. :)

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Cool idea. My 5 year is like 20 days after yours. Looking forward to more.

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm so curious to see what kinds of things are on your top twenty. Of course, you've got 2 years more here than I so I'm sure you've got some great stuff.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Creative Writing

# 19. The JC Movie Script

There were, in retrospect, only a few of us, but it felt huge and epic. It was, in retrospect, a fairly stupid idea, but it sounded cool. I was, in retrospect, not sufficiently talented or experienced, but . . . well, you get the picture here, I think.

In retrospect, it was very nervy of me. I?d only been a member for a little less than five months. But I think JCC was a friendlier place then. Certainly it wasn?t as stratified and segregated as it is now (but enough rhetoric!). Regardless, I barged in where angels feared to tread and I think of all the threads and activities I?ll bring up in this thread, that this one has aged the least well. It?s pretty clumsy from a creative standpoint and it never really had any cohesion and my writing was lazy at best, sloppy at worst. But, oh, it was FUN!

It was, as I?ve said, the attempt to write a movie script about the JCC. It started out pretty laid back, almost dada in its approach. By the end, it had morphed into a rooting tooting action adventure with as many plot threads as . . . well, as many plot threads as there were people posting in the thread. Which was a few.

But it was less the quantity of people and more the quality: Cigam Retah (read that name backwards . . . he used to hate it when people would do that and then act like they were geniuses), Tellesto (the Irish Jedi himself), Short Round McFly (and brother, if you didn?t know Short Round McFly, you missed it all . . . okay, hold everything:

DETOUR: Short Round McFly really deserves an entire post to himself, but I?m trying to not dedicate posts to just single individuals. But I need to talk about this guy. I was hoping to be able to link you to my favorite thread of his, still the funniest thread under a page long as far as I?m concerned, but it?s been pruned. So, I?ll tell you about this guy.

That thread I mentioned was a desperate cry for help when he noticed that one of his breasts was larger than the other. I should mention that I got off one of my best lines in this thread: a realist posted reassuring Shorty that this was common. Many girls, he said, had similar complaints, ie. One breast larger than the other, one bicep, one testicle. Most girls have one testicle larger than the other? I asked. I?m still proud of that one. Right place at the right time. But Shorty was fun, missized breasts, twisted testicles and Swaziland rants all adding up to a heck of a guy. Man, I miss that crazy guy. And now, END DETOUR:

I contributed and they welcomed me, as they welcomed all. It was scattered, it was frenzied, it was sloppy, but it was glorious. I think my greatest contribution was my idea for a title: Forums Gump. Yeah, that should give you some idea of the level of humor we?re talking about.

It was a blast though. If you read it now, and here?s a link, you probably won?t get as much as we did out of it. For one thing, much of the humor was topical and nothing ages faster than topical humor on a message board. My posts, for instance, are rife with references to Darth_Holliday. If you don?t know that name, don?t worry, we?ll be talking about him later.

I suppose that?s part of the charm for me at this late date. I keep running across names I haven?t heard in years as I read through this thread: I Will Make It Legal, Jotun Denal, eaglejedi, jadesabre2 (wow . . . what ever happened to that guy? He was great!). And, oh, yes, the fellow up there who guessed at PrincessKenobi as being the ?celebrity? in the thread was right. She was a contributor to this thread too. I wonder, if she?s here now, what she thinks about the thread, looking at it now. I hope she?ll post her reminisces about it.

But it was interesting foreshadowing. We?ll come to a much better and much more intimate thread later that follows directl

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Next time, we?ll open a new category with my pick for #18 and this one sees the people of the JC organizing and taking the fight to Communications, pushing a dream and a vision that would ultimately come to fruition.

Down with Diapers! Or not.

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I remember reading that thread, Rogue. It was truly inspired. That's some good history there.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    The real question is: did you ever get the answer to your question about the Truce on Bakura?

13. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

wonderful idea, Rogue..

i'm looking forward to more :)

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [face_laugh] Yes, I got my question answered and it enabled me to write a truly crappy fanfiction about what why Wedge was unavailable when Luke called him during the blockade of Bakura.

Seriously. It involved a murder charge. :p

15. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    She posted in this very thread on 8/1, actually. ;)

I'm sure she will make another appearance and grant your wish.

16. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    "Next time, we?ll open a new category with my pick for #18 and this one sees the people of the JC organizing and taking the fight to Communications, pushing a dream and a vision that would ultimately come to fruition."

*dejected sigh* and that was how the Amphitheater was born, and the war to keep intelligent conversation in the JCC began.

I never did much with the script, though I remember it, but I DO remember Short Round McFly. Had a run in with him through another long gone poster of yore, howlrunner22. How on Earth howl got Shorty to play Jedi Knight with us, I don't know. Of course at the time I wouldn't have known Short Round from president Bush, being a newbie of a few months myself. I just remember playing JK with him making statements like "I am not wearing any pants!!" and thinking "Lord, this guy must be daffy".

Then he proclaimed his love to me on ICQ.

17. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Wow, Shorty and Howl. Old names...old friends. Damn I feel old.

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I remember the thread well. Heck I still have some of the pms between Tellesto, myself, and a few of the others. We worked hard on that script. Making sure we all going towards the same goal and plot line. It was a lot of fun working on it. It's rather amusing that you mention this, cause a few months ago someone in the JC Chat mentioned the script and how awesome it was. It truely is a remarkable thread.

I think what made it so great for me, wasn't the fact that I was writing in it. But the fact that I had devolped a great friendship with the guys who were also writing it. Which in the end is what the JCC is really about meeting new and diffrent people and coming together to enjoy each others company. For me its hard to describe my feelings on the script, cause it does mean alot to me and brings a lot of great memories for me. As I'm sure it does anyone who was around during that time. Ewan-Kenobi and I pmed each other back and forth constantly during that, just to find out where the other one was going. Since for awhile there we were co-writing the same line in the story.

I'm glad to be part of your #19 Rouge, it is truely an honor that this is one of your great recollections.

~PK~

EDIT: What really is the amazing thing, is I was re-looking thru it, is that the way we wrote in there is how we wrote in the JCC Jedi and Sith Welcome RPG Found Here style. Good times, good memories. I miss them guys.

19. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    And, oh, yes, the fellow up there who guessed at PrincessKenobi as being the ?celebrity? in the thread was right.

KyleKatarn96

Date Posted: 8/1 10:13pm Subject: RE: Recollections: or The JC's Top Twenty
    I say PK, or Katya

Woo, got it.[face_dancing]

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I remember Ethril vs. TFU. Ethril was a cool guy; TFU was a jerk.

Brings back memories this thread does.

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    It used to kind of annoy me when Ethril would start a gay parody thread for every hetero-oriented thread but aside from that he seemed pretty cool.

22. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I just took that as evidence of his awesome sense of humor.

23. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Yeah, funny a few times but every time?
    Y'know...we understood that he was gay and all but did he have to beat us around the head and face with it? ;)

24. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    He actually beat you around the head and face with it? Isn't that harrassment?

25. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    depends on what was used for the beatings ;)