main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recollections: or The JC's Top Twenty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Aug 1, 2005.

1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    You've got it dead on. That was the point to it and the fact that people didn't listen to what we kept saying wasn't our fault. I remember locking threads daily just because they weren't Amph material but JCC material. And Rogue, you were byfar an excellent moderator. You deserved the spot more than I did. Thus why you were made moderator.

The fact being is that the Amphitheatre at first was truly, truly a great accomplishment and had reached what it was meant to be and lasted that way for around a year. Once Rogue left, it went downhill because there wasn't someone there to specifically push it around and keep it in line.

I haven't gone into the forum since Dehrian was the "temp" moderator there. I'm a little afraid to these days.

Oh, those memories, though. I remember staying up until 6am talking to Lord Bane about how we can make the board work.. and we did it. :)

good times. good times indeed.

2. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    The Amp is still an enjoyable forum, it's just that not many people post there. Well, not many people who have something intelligent worth saying.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Well, not many people who have something intelligent worth saying.

An issue not unique to the Amphitheatre.

Amazing.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Yeah, I really miss the old days. It seems strange to me that I missed so much, but really was here during those days. I think, for the most part, I started as essentially a Noobmeister posting in the Star Wars forum and then slowly drifted over to the YJCC.

My response coming in here from the Star Wars forums was something like Dorothy coming to OZ.

Back in the days I first remember, Debo and GriffZ and AmazingB and Porkins in a Speedo were the Forum Gods, and they always had something funny as hell to say.

I applaud this thread, and am definitely reading it.

5. JediofJade

Aug 25, 1999
    Well, I wasn't going to be all mean about it, but...yeah, pretty much.

6. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    keep it up Rogue

7. NewGuy917

NewGuy917 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    I haven't been around too long but,
    I was here for the 1,000,000th
    message posted..."event"

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    A Movement of the People

17. The EU Community Opens

Like the Amp, this forum started because of users who took a problem to the Mod Squad. But this time it wasn?t users who wanted out of a forum and into a new one, it was users who wanted other users out. Namely, the Expanded Universe forum was sick of social threads.

The people who wanted serious discussion of the Expanded Universe (and there were a surprisingly large number of them) didn?t like the fact that the Lit forum was cluttered with social threads, fan clubs, Defense Forces, etc. So, the movement began: a new forum dedicated entirely to social clubs, etc.

And eventually it happened. The Expanded Universe Community (EUC) was born.

And those first few days were madness. Madness, I tell you. There were a couple of large threads that we?ll talk about later in more detail, but suffice it to say that people showed up that I had never seen in Literature before. farraday, of all people, was there in force, posting furiously, in that signature style of his.

Fan clubs sprung up like weeds and there was a great community thread that I will never forget. Everyone was there and it was absolutely joyous. I still recall that it was in those first few glorious days that I got a nickname I?ll always cherish, from none other than farraday himself.

It was in the big welcome thread as memory serves and we were sniping at each other. I?d heard of him, of course, legend that he was (APPLESAUCE!!) and seen him around a bit, but I?d never really met the guy until that day. But we seemed to strike a good relationship, at least in terms of being comfortable slinging insults at each other. I was outclassed, no question, his genius wit proving to be every bit as great as I?d heard.

I don?t even remember what I said to him, but I?d popped off with some great insult (I hope I?m not overstating . . . he might have been better, but I was pretty witty myself) and he snapped back, ?Boy, when I get done with you, they?ll have to upgrade to Rogue2.0. Damn. That?s funny.

For those first few days, probably a week or so, things remained at such a frantic pace I could barely keep up. I?d mention names, but I?d forget someone, probably several, and I?ll be talking about some of them in more detail later, so this will suffice for now.

The Punchiline would come a few months later:

Not too long after that I would become addicted to playing a game called Mafia, a game that still exists today and one that features banning as part of it?s raison d?etre. So, it was necessary for me to create a sock, one that I could slip into when my main name was banned. I?m currently enamored of Mafia again, so that sock may show up in this thread, if things in the Mafia game turn against me.

I wanted a sock that everyone would know was me though . . . of course, I didn?t have a choice. I had to name it Rogue2Point0. I just had too.

Next time, we?ll jump back to a category and a forum we?ve talked about before for the most recent pick on this list.

9. JediofJade

Aug 25, 1999
    Can I have a Barbara Streisand moment, please? Just for a second?

Ahem.

Memories...

Okay, I'm done.

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, I don't know much about Farraday except that to most people, he defines the term 'Bitter ex-mod'. And he was good enough to doff his hat to me when I pointed this out to him. I think he enjoys it. :p

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Ahhh.... the EUC. My second home. Got the chance to be either the first or second person to post (yodaboy and I have argued about it, but the threads were killed by the auto-prunner). Then I got a greater chance to do something with that place, and the rest is history.

But those first couple of months were brilliant. A whole stack of former Lit denziens came out of the woodwork and the extremely light mod presence led to all sorts of absolute madness.

12. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Go figure. This was before my time. :p

Who pushed for it, though?

13. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    More! More! I've enjoyed reading these. :D

14. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    ahh farraday....those were the days.

Does anyone remember the Gonk Knights?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ahh, finally one that I actually participated in. I was at the periphery of most of these other Recollections, but I was right there in the beginning of the EUC. I can't say that I was actually one of the people pushing for it (I can say that for the RPF), but I was a quick participant. My first community thread there was the TFU thread which is still there from the opening, and it's hilarious to read the first page and look at all the people confused about the existence of the new board. :D

My fondest memories of EUC, of course, come from those days where everyone was a friend and all the way through to the fun fun EUC Civil War at July '01 and to the fun times of '02 and early '03.

Early '03? Gosh, that was two years ago. It's just really hard to imagine, isn't it?

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, yes, I remember you, Jello. Do you find me funny at all yet? ;)

For those who are wondering why no update when it's been well past four days since the last one, I'm having difficulty posting in this thread. I've tried various variations and I cannot post the next update, either under this name or under my sock.

The admins are supposedly working on it as we speak, so hopefully this will be settled sometime soon.

17. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Aw. :( I'm so looking forward to reading more. Hopefully that glitch will get taken care of soon.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Uh....

Your having difficulty posting in this thread, yet I found this out because I read a post by you in this thread?

Um... I think I'm missing something here.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He's having trouble making a particular post, which is a problem has affected at least one other person that I know of.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That makes no sense to me at all.

21. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I just realized I just passed my 3 year mark here a few days ago. Good Lord,

This is a good thread. Though I only remember the campaign for the Amp.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, I remember these things. Ahh, good times. :)

My frickin' god, have I really been in this place for almost 6 years? Holy Crap on a pogo stick.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    My frickin' god, have I really been in this place for almost 6 years?

Guilty as charged. I hereby sentence you to at least two more.

24. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    I do hope that I can one day drag myself away from this place. [face_laugh]

[face_plain]

25. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Okay, thanks KW. It's still weird though.