main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Recommend me something!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthXan318, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I appear to have run out of stuff to read before bedtime, so I thought I'd turn to you guys ... :D

Looking for some fun, lighthearted, well-written novels with good characterisation and minimal angst. SFF or non-SFF is fine; preferably either standalone or complete series (I love GRRM, but seriously), and preferably available on Kindle so I don't have to actually go find a physical bookstore now that Borders has closed down.

I liked:
    Anything by Neil Gaiman
    Anything by Elizabeth Moon
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (not any of his other work, though)
    The first Dune novel (the rest got weird and exasperating)
    The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
    Aaron Allston's EU novels (haven't read his non-SW work)
    Harry Potter
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    ... there's more to this list but you get the idea.

Any suggestions?

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Read the The Book of Words Trilogy by J.V. Jones and the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Excellent, excellent, excellent....

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Lighthearted is somewhat tough.

Off the top of my head, I'll suggest (again) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Given your list of likes, hard to see you disliking it.

Also: Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. A little "cyberpunky" but not as serious as William Gibson (main character's name is Hiro Protagonist ;))

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You might (and by might, I mean definitely should) try Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga, of which the entire first book is freely available here in pretty much any format you can imagine.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I recommend almost anything by Sharon Shinn, particularly her Twelve Houses series (completed, 5 books, starts with Mystic and Rider) and the standalone Summers at Castle Auburn (the Kindle store has them, I checked). I think they're pretty light.

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Now that im actually looking at it im noticing that most of the authors you like are not that light hearted lol:p

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The Dresden Files(Gumshoe/Noir/Wizard/Demons) and Codex Alera(Roman Empire blended with Pokemon) Super AWESOME AUTHOR and one of my top recommendations: Jim Butcher!!! GO. READ. NOW...

Also I noticed what you said about Dune, and I agree. I however did find that on a second read through the series it floored me how awesome it became(OG six anyway)

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah... I'm looking to broaden my horizons a little bit. :p Although I'd say that what I like most about those authors' works are the little bits of humour they toss in here and there, like seasoning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've downloaded Warrior's Apprentice to start (the free book argument is rather compelling) but I'll be sure to check all those out in good time ... keep 'em coming. :D

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Slipt, Quozl, The Man Who Used the Universe, Into the Out Of, Taken trilogy (Candle of Distant Earth), and Spoils of War (The False Mirror) quartet by Alan Dean Foster

Myth Adventures (books 1-8 only) and the first 2 Phule's Company books by Robert Asprin

as already mentioned, Dresden Files

The Rats, The Bats, and The Vats

Old Man's War/Ghost Brigade/Fuzzy Nation

anything by Elaine Cunningham

That should keep you busy...

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I only read the first couple Myth Adventures books, but they're really good, really funny.

11. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    After book 8, when he starts writing with other people, it really starts to go down hill. Sweet Myth-tery of Life is a good place to stop, as it provides a nice closing moment before the story all goes to hell.

Another author: Jody Lynn Nye. Read anything she writes on her own, but nothing that she writes in collaboration with another. She is good. When she works with someone else, it is a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.