main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommend one of the PT novelizations?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chi-TownStarkiller, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi-TownStarkiller

Chi-TownStarkiller Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2004
    Hi all, just curious to know which novelization of the prequel trilogy do most fans find the most satisfying? Are all 3 worth reading? Have any of them been disappointing? I am thinking of tracking one of them down soon, if not just reading the ROTS novel...

Thanks!

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    oh wait, i just realized your talking about the movies as books.

Well, ill leave my original post here anyway:

are you talking about the 3 lead in novels to ROTS?

Jedi Trial
    Dark Rendevous
    Lymbrith of Evil

If you are:

Jedi Trial was a good book. My only problem was it was suppose to be how Anakin became a knight. The whole story is really about a battle on Palestyne(sp) and the main characters are not Anakin or any other Jedi really. At the end they throw in about 2 pages of Anakin's knighting. Very weird.

Dark Rendevous was really good. It was mostly centered around Yoda and Dooku, with some asajj thrown in there. Good book.

LOE blows the other two away. Im only half way through it myself, but so far it rocks. Fills in a lot of questions and goes into the backgrounds of Dooku, Sifo Dyas, Greivous, and a lot of other things between ep 1-2 and 2-3. Highly recommend it.

I also like the Republic comic series and the Obsession series.

The Clone Wars comics are good too.

CLone

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Probably Labyrinth of Evil. Can't say much about it, but it's the best out of what Rogue Planet, Approaching Storm.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Both TPM and AOTC are "okay" novels, but nothing particularly special. I wouldn't waste money on the hardback versions unless you can get them cheap, though. AOTC has lots of nice filler sequences, but the writing was borderline awful in some parts of the novels. Very fluffy without a whole lot of substance.

I've heard ROTS is excellent, though I can't vouch for it personally.

5. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Revenge of the Sith is by far the best prequel novelisation. I highly recommend it.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think both TPM and AOTC are well worth the read. I haven't read ROTS yet...

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    As a spoiler-free member, I have not read the ROTS novelization, either. Of the two novelizations that I've read, I would say that TPM is far and away a better read than AOTC.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

8. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Although SW books are by no means great literature, and I would not buy them in hardcover, I highly recommend the TMP novel, which is quite good. In fact, if you like the PT era politics and mystery surrounding Palpatine, I highly recommend "Cloak of Deception", "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter", and "The Phantom Menace", in that order, which work well together as a trilogy. The short story, "Darth Maul: Saboteur" (included in the "Shadow Hunter" paperback) should be read before "Cloak of Deception".

I also like the other PT paperbacks, but the hardcovers, "Cestus", "Jedi Trial" and "LOE" are not good. I haven't read ROTS, so I can't say, but "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous" is good, as is "Rogue Planet", "The Approaching Storm", "Attack of the Clones", and the MedStar Duology. I didn't care for "Shatterpoint" (but I might give it another chance). Anyway, that unofficial trilogy including TPM is very satisfying reading, IMO.

9. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i thought the novels were more character oriented so in a way, better than the film. but yes, rots is the best written

10. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    BTW, I read ROTS yesterday and it's really good, but doesn't seem quite as good as the TPM book. It's hard to judge, though, since we haven't seen the film...

11. DarthMaul-Em

DarthMaul-Em Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2005
    I have read TPH,AOTC And ROTS.
    They were all good but out of all them I prefer ROTS,it was pretty fast moving and I always wanted to keep reading.I finished it in a week and a half :D

12. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    I perfer AOTC cause it has other stuff added in there that it wasn't in the movie which was a good touch, ike the Boba and Jango scenes, it makes Jango have a personality and background.

Also it felt like the last half of ROTS was rushed alot.

AOTC is my favorite PT book.

Edit: DarthMatter I agree completely. The Darth Maul Shadow Hunter book kicks major @$$!! Never read cloak of Deception but I have read Saboteur. Good books!

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  14. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
  15. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    While it is true that the final third ("Apocalypse") of the Revenge of the Sith novelisation is rushed in comparison to the other two, Stover is by far the best Star Wars author out there, and manages to give characters, themes and events far more depth than they received in the previous two prequel adaptations. He actually takes the time to write "This is [insert character name]" passages, in which he delves right into their thoughts and emotions. On top of that, he has a very distinct writing style, which allows ROTS to be the most creative of the three novelisations.

16. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    TPM was very good, and included alot of extra seens briefly mentioned in the film. AOTC was pretty good, the only thing being extra cool ws the fight sequence, They expanded it and made it better

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The only PT novel I've read so far was TPM, which I found to be mediocre. I thought there was a lot of opportunity to expand on things the film didn't have time to (lest it be 3 hours long) but that those opportunities weren't capitalised upon very well.

I have been wanting to read AotC but haven't had the chance yet. I've heard great things about RotS, have it on my shelf, and will read it after I see the film. As it stands, I think ANH is my favourite novelisation so far.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I haven't read the ROTS novel yet, I'm waiting until after the movie.

I liked the AOTC novel a lot more than the TPM novel, but then again, I was 9 years old when I read the TPM novel so it was probably boring. Ahh, good memories. I bought the TPM novel at a yard sale and it came without the protective cover, so right now it sits bare and black on my shelf.

BTW, I bought the TPM novel for $2.00.

19. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
    With AOTC it really showed how Jango is more then just a person stuck in there for the Stormtroopers.

Also the Obi Wan vs Jango fight was expanded so it was good.

The entire novel was really good.

20. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    I didn't read the novelisation of "The Phantom Menace." I should have.

I think "Attack of the Clones" was excellent. I really enjoyed reading that in the summer of 2002. Stalvatore did a great job.

Matthew Strover seems to have written the best one. I bought "Revenge of the Sith" two days ago. I couldn't put it down. I really liked his style. It was a very sad and tragic story. I highly recommend reading it.

The best thing about these novels is that you can really get inside character's heads. I do a lot more reading than watching movies. I usually prefer the erudition of historians and philosophy, but novels are something else. I have respect for Tolkien for "The Silmarillion" and "The Lord of the Rings," but I also have tremendous respect for "Star Wars" authors. Great stuff.

21. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    The ROTS novelization is the best of the three. I've spoken to several people who hope the movie lives up to the book.

22. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    That's right. Stover > all.

23. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've read AOTC and ROTS. ROTS is light-years ahead of the other one.

24. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    TPM is better then AOTC. I haven't read ROTS but I here it is a fantasic book as Stover usually delivers.

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Though the both boos are excellent, TPM novelisation was written in a better style than the AOTC, but AOTC has a better story. Unfortunately, I haven't read ROTS book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.