main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommendations for the best Star Trek film?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by TheBoogieMan, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I looked in the index for a thread on Star Trek films but couldn't find one - I apologise if I've missed it, as I don't really think this deserves its own thread.

I've only ever seen the first half of "Generations" and bits of the other one where they go to present-day earth and bugger off with a whale? or something.

They were both pretty average. Nevertheless, I highly enjoyed some of the earlier seasons of Voyager, when that was on TV, and some of TNG that I've seen.

So - what should I watch?

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    II is generally considered the best one.

Personally I like VI which I think is generally considered one of the worst.

Avoid V which is the worst ;)

I think the rule of thumb is... Even good, odd bad (seriously I've heard that somewhere).

3. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Wrath of Khan
    Search for Spock

Because I can't choose one over the other, it's a two out of a three part arch that is so interconnected that you cannot watch one without immediately wanting/needing to watch the other. Spock's death will make anybody cry everytime. I think these two films where Shatner's best performances.

Again you can't have one without the other.

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan (a classic)
    Star Trek III: Search for Spock (not the greatest but it is a sequel to part II )
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (it has colorful metaphores)
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (final movie of the old cast)
    Star Trek: First Contact

After seeing those movies you pretty much have seen the best Trek movies. Afterwards you can check out the other movies at your own risk.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wrath of Kahn (II), Undiscovered Country (VI) & First Contact are definitely the highlights.

Search for Spock (III), Generations & Nemesis are flawed but enjoyable.

Voyage Home (IV) is light and fun, though campy.

Don't even bother with The Motion Picture (I), Final Frontier (V) or Insurrection which are sleep-inducing, terrible and embarassing, respectively.

6. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    For classic Trek (Shatner and co), go for 'Wrath of Khan'. easily the best Trek movie for that era. Great villain, great ending (until today, I will always associate 'Amazing Grace' or bagpipes with Spock! :eek: [face_laugh]), and even Shatner's acting "style" works well (KHAAAAAAAAN!!!). The battle between Entreprise and Khan's ship is the best Trek battle you're ever gonna get.

For TNG, it's definitely 'First Contact'. Patrick Stewart's Picard is at his best, in both "Shakesperean speeches" mode and "pseudo-Die Hard" mode, har har! Add in some nice FX and the Borg Queen, and you've got a great entertaining film. Bonus points for drunk Troi and Data's "fully functional" line :D

Do not, DO NOT watch the first Trek film "Star Trek the Motion Picture". This one is still the worst. "V'ger", weird bald girl, and the worst uniforms uniforms!

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    So, it looks like II and III are the way to go? Cool. Thanks guys, I'll report back when I (eventually) see them. :)

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Yeah, Wrath of Khan is easily the best. Best battle, best score, best ships.

I enjoyed III, VI and VII. Nemesis is ok aswell, but not great.

First contact is great and very dark (why i love it)

All the others are mediocre at best

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT

10. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I agree with ObiWanCon about FIRST CONTACT (very cool ending), but you absolutely must see...

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Jame Horner's music is great in this one, but I must warn you that if you ever watch Krull or Aliens which came after Wrath of Khan, you will notice that Horner recycles his music; not entire pieces, but significant parts.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The order of greatness for Star Trek films is indisputable, and is as follows (best to worst):

1) Wrath of Khan
    2) The Undiscovered Country
    3) First Contact
    4) Nemesis
    5) The Voyage Home
    6) Generations
    7) The Search for Spock
    8) Insurrection
    9) The Motion Picture
    10) The Final Frontier

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I realise this is an SW website, but you should be taken outside and flogged for not watching StarTr*k movies Boogie.

As others have rightly said, Khan is the greatest ST movie ever made - perfect duel between good and evil, ending in perhaps the greatest space battle sequence ever filmed.

After that watch First Contact to see exactly how the TNG crew fit perfectly into an action movie. It reminds me of classic 40s WW2 military movies - if you are a fan of those you'll love the futuristic remake of it.

To be honest, ever ST movie has redeeming features.

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Which one was the one where Captain Kirk (the man who survived untold perils and impossible odds for decades) is killed by a falling bridge? That is hands down the worst ST film ever.

14. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    That'd be Star Trek: Generations, which is/was the 7th Star Trek movie.

IMO, the top 3 Star Trek movies are:

Star Trek: First Contact
    Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan(sp?)
    Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

15. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I really enjoy II, III, IV, and VI.

I find I enjoy TNG TV series more than TNG movies.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i agree. my favorite ST movie with Wrath of Khan next

17. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I didn't think Undiscovered Country was so well thought of. Its always been my absolute favorite but for some reason I thought I was alone in that regard.

Its a nice bridge between new and old I think.

I recommend adding that to your II and III list ;)

18. JediPI323

JediPI323 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2006
    With out a doubt, Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn is the best of the Trek movies.

19. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I find it worrysome that those two are fairly poor (being the only ones that I have seen) and yet there are still four more below. :p

Hey, I'm trying to fix that, aren't I?

Excellent. I love those types of films, so it should be fun.

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Please tell me there was an implied "excluding, of course, those in Star Wars" there...

21. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    First contact is my favorite, but I haven't seen them all yet. I was very disappointed with Nemesis, however.

22. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Which one was the one where Captain Kirk (the man who survived untold perils and impossible odds for decades) is killed by a falling bridge? That is hands down the worst ST film ever.

I found that a fitting death for kirk. He died sacrificing himself to save the whole crew of the new enterprise and maybe the universe.

If i could choose how kirk died, i would of had him going down with the enterprise in a battle situation, but im happy with how he went down.

And generations is actually a good film, not great, but good.

23. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Generations is a good movie considering it was a rushed script and rushed shooting so it?s a decent movie.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    He died sacrificing himself to save the whole crew of the new enterprise and maybe the universe.

the real key to this is that he died for people that he'd never met, or might ever realise that he saved their lives. That (for me) is true Kirk.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Up until they hit the Nexus, I think Generations was up there with the best Trek films- but once they work in Shatner and the rest, it gets a bit murky. It had a darker look and feel to it than any of the other Trek films, and Picard had a lot more personal moments and development in it (as spectacular as the obsessed Picard is in First Contact, I rather liked him in Generations more), as well as a good villian.

>>If i could choose how kirk died, i would of had him going down with the enterprise in a battle situation.<<

At least he died on the bridge.

::rim-shot::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.