main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommendations for the best Star Trek film?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by TheBoogieMan, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    A different scenario, though, would be if you're travelling at warp -- as the official tech-guides explain it, if you're at warp speeds, energy-based phasers (generating visible light) run smack into Einstein's c-limit, and become useless; a warp-velocity starship firing them "foreward," for example, would instantaneously surpass the beam it just emitted, by physical law.

This is pretty much why you almost always see torpedo usage in FTL on the shows and in the films, as they can be accelerated to warp speeds even faster than the starship firing them, if need be.

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Phasers = fast recharge time, accurate, low-mid damage
    Torpedo = slow reload time, high damage, explosion radius.

:p

3. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    For those of you who have Universal HD, Star Trek III was on earlier, and First Contact is currently on, my favorite of the trek films, looks great in HD!

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    During TOS tv series, phasers were fired more (I think) than torpedoes.
    What would have really helped the series is if the writers had been told to obey a set of standard rules. Except for WoK, torpedoes are always ready instantly, even though they have to load the tube, run it down a track, then fire it.
    In the game Star Fleet Battles (FASA), Photon Torpedoes take 2 rounds to charge, and are direct fire weapons. Phasers and Disrupters can fire every round.
    Plasma Torpedoes and Drones are seeking weapons--they are launched and track the target.
    Also, phasers have a max damage of 9 points (unless they're the starbase size ones), where an overloaded photon can rack up 16 pts. Overloaded disrupters only do 8, but you can fire them every round instead of every other round, so there's game balance. Plasma torps take 3 rounds normally and do different damage based on size & distance travelled (anywhere from 0-50 pts) while drones--get complicated.

Mind you, using that logic, it would have been impossible to solve the problem of trek6, but at least some thought of consistency would have been added.

Nemesis had more than 2 phaser banks firing from the -E? at once? In different directions? realy? wow. I only saw it once, so I don't remember. may have to put it on my netflix cue again.

In other words: NX1701 had 5 phasers and a couple drone racks until it was upgraded with photon torpedoes. 1701 _-e had photons and phasers, and ditched armor plating in favor of shields.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, when the cloaked Scimitar attacks initially, the E fires all over the place with 3-5 banks until it hits the ship, then fires several torpedos towards the point of impact, though it manages to dodge them. Awesome tactic.

Though it seems using more than 2 banks at once results in weaker shots- subsequent attacks by the E only use 1 or 2 banks again.

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    It's not unreasonable for the torpedoes to be ready instantly. Even today, on submarines, it is standard procedure to immediately load at least two torpedo tubes when you go to battle stations, if you don't keep them loaded as a general rule.

As soon as you call for a yellow or red alert, you should immediately be loading torpedoes.

Kimball Kinnison

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I agree. And that was also a mechanic within SFB: alert status. But the reload time seems to be non-existant. But still, some mention of that would have been good.
    Also, in SFB, Phasers can be charged from any source, but the torpedoes have to be charged from the warp engines... something to do with using anti-matter.:-B

On the other hand, a glowing red dot of light is a lot cheaper effect than the charge-up & fire sequence used for the phaser banks in TNG and beyond.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I always wondered what caused the red light of the torp, as we know the warhead is within a black outer casing.

And on the reload time: I think by TNG the reloading of torps had become computer controlled (hence worf just pressing buttons and then saying 'torpedos ready')

Like a gun, once one is fired and the ship is at red alert, the computer just preps the next pair or however many the tactical officer programs in to fire.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Torpedoes have long been automated.

The dramatic "prepping the torpedo" scene in WOK...that was a manual arming method, probably used in case of systems failure.

one positive of torpedoes over phasers...you can launch them manually like that.

This notion is supported by the fact the Enterprise with a NOTHING crew fires torps at the bird of prey in Search for Spock.

And then don't forget the torpedo drama in IV...if it wasn't automated, then all they command staff would need to do is interrogate the "arming team" who would have to be on station to load the tube at some point.

torpedo automation is a standard of the whole franchise, not just TNG.

As such, torps tend to be very fast firing...especially when there is a moment to prepare.

phasers on the other hand, especially in the TNG period, take a moment to charge...critical miniseconds.

Thus why torpedo "spreads" got increased prevalence in TNG and then the advent of the quantums.

Heck...even the hand-held phasers got outmoded to something more in line with a standard discharging round.

Phasers = outmoded, underpowered, and crippled far to quickly by damage taken to the ship.

It's not surprising it's almost vanish from the franchise...even as they go back in time.

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hmmm... We're contemplating/debating/arguing the mechanics of the startrek world... You know what that makes us? [face_thinking]

NERD ALERT! :-B :eek:

Oh well. It's not like Rodenbury actually had a coherent blan for the series--it was a serial epic with no plan beyond "sell the next season to the network" and "entertain."

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock n' bump since I have Generations coming up in my viewing order in about 10 episodes.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    After you're done, go to Youtube and look up Red Letter Media. In addition to reviewing TPM and AotC (70min and 90min of everything that it wrong with those movies), he does a great send up of all the TNG movies, detailing what's wrong with them, stupid mistakes, and general problems with the flicks. He also did Avatar, JJA StarTrek (which I disagree with) and a few others.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll definitely take a look- his prequel reviews were excellent, and there are certainly flaws to be had in the TNG films (a shame, as, with exception to Insurrection and, to a much lesser extent, Nemesis, they were pretty great on the whole, save a few major points like forcing in Kirk).

14. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I did enjoy his review of Abrams Trek (sorry Koohi-I agreed with him :-B ) because many of his points showed some ways the movie worked.

I did not enjoy the prequel reviews simply because it was too intermixed with odd humor and things like that.

Back on topic, I enjoyed Generations, but I will still hold to my opinion that Star Trek VI is the best Trek movie.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://norefundstheatre.com/blog/uploaded_images/wedge-733984.jpg]
    "Look at the size of that thing!"

You may recall I briefly reviewed Generations' prologue between my reviews of ST6 and Encounter at Farpoint, two and a half years ago. Since then, I've gone through all of TNG, a third of DS9 and have begun Voyager. I've also tried to avoid watching Generations as a whole, to save it for it's proper chronological order.

I've also avoided rereading my review of the prologue, so that those comments woouldn't entirely influence my perception of the film (though there will be many similarities). Why? I think it'll be fun to see how my old comments match up to my new ones, and, in this way, my review kinda mirrors the past & present structure of Generations itself.

So, I'll first repost my early review of the prologue, and then begin the big main review of the whole film.

Engage!

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060808115639/memoryalpha/en/images/3/30/Star_Trek_Generations_poster.jpg]
    Star Trek (VII): Generations (Prologue)
    Kirk, Scotty & Chekov attend the launching of the Enterprise-B, when the ship must attempt to rescue the passengers aboard transport ships threatened by a mysterious spacial energy ribbon.

T2Q Comments: Figured it'd be interesting to review the opening sequence to this movie as an epilogue to the TOS era (I'll review the entire film properly after I finish TNG). It's nice to see the Enterprise-B, as it begins to setup later crews and generations- a notion also conveyed through the introduction to Sulu's daughter (and the Kirk line of "When did Sulu have time to have a family?" is a nice thematic throwback to the campfire conversations of 5). The banter between Kirk. Chekov and Scotty is great here, particularly their teasing of his ceremonious issuing of the launch order.

The B's crew includes a human Tuvok, Aaron from 24 and Vasquez the Irish Stepmom. Though it'd be nice if the B's Captain didn't seem quite so at a loss for making decisions- I mean, he had to have some command skill to get the Captaincy of the new Enterprise, right? Sequence also introduces Guinan, which is a nice setup for her appearing shortly in TNG. An interesting "end" for Kirk, though it feels like a Scotty death to me. But it is a heroic end, and he did save the Enterprise. Combined with Scotty's later reappearance in the TNG era and the remainder of Generations and all of First Contact, this moment sets up a great premise for the novel Engines of Destiny, which probably should have been the basis for Star Trek 9 (haven't yet read the book proper yet, though, but the idea is solid enough). But we'll get to that a wee bit down the road.

Teaser Trailer (Beginning Trek's great line of logo-centric teaser trailers- not to mention the notable use of footage of the Bozeman)
    Theatrical Trailer

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100516214956/memoryalpha/en/images/e/e7/USS_Enterprise-B_in_drydock.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090311184828/memoryalpha/en/images/a/aa/Guests_of_honor.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101023025719/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c5/USS_Enterprise-B_hit.jpg]
    Star Trek (VII): Generations
    The El-Aurian scientist Dr. Tolian Soran is seeking 'paradise' in the form of an energy realm called 'the Nexus', and destroying entire civilizations in the process. Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise-D are the only ship and crew in range ? or even aware ? of Soran's mad quest for immortality, but even the crew of the Federation's most highly-regarded starship may not be enough.

They need help, and they find it in the most unlikely of places, from one of the most decorated captains in Starfleet history.

T2Q Comments: I know it's partially just the render, but looking at the Enterprise-B used in the DVD menu, that secondary hull is just UGLY- it''s that accordian neck in partic

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You are probablly the only person I know who likes Generations, certainly the only one who would rank it above TWoK.
    Go to YouTube, and look up "RedLetterMedia" and find the Generations commentary. Then the other NextGen movie commentaries.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Wrath of Khan by a large margin.

The only ones I don't like are The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Oh, and as for images of the Iconic ship crashing/being destroyed, I'd suggest you check out Blake's 7. Not so hot a job with Liberator, but Scorpio's ending is... Quite something.

Trek2-3-4 is really 1 movie. The problem is that the only part worth keeping of 4 is the scene at the beginning, with the vote to return, and the scene at the end from the trial onward. 3 would have been better with the same Savik.

There's a great motivational poster:
    Yours is the only ship in the sector: Only you can pick of the milk and kitty litter on your way home.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I found Four to be a refreshing break from the ultra-seriousness of II and III. It was neat to see Kirk and the rest as somewhat fishes out of water.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed, Star Trek IV is a fun little film.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There has already been more than one person who said they liked Generations in this thread alone.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    With a TV series, a humor episode as a break works.
    With a movie series, with an minimum of 2 years between movies, it turns into a weak-ass, dated, lame movie.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Except... the only thing really 'dated' about it is maybe a few bits about CHekov. Other than that, it's fun. And after II and III, damned necessary to make sure you don't hit a despair event horizon.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The only problem was that they tried to continue in that direction with Star Trek V. As a result William Shanter's original concept, which was basically Dante's Inferno in space, got watered down into a weak-assed imitation of what had the potential to be an amazing Trek film.

Star Trek: Insurrection suffered from the same problem with the added complication that there was no attempt to explain why Picard was running around the Briar Patch when the Enterprise is a capital starship and the Federation is at war.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, but you can't blame that on IV. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.