main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommended Forum Changes

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lokus, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lokus

lokus Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2004
    This may have been talked about before so I apologize in advance. In an effort to better group posts and discussions in light of announcements by Disney as to what is canon and not, I'd recommend the following changes for consideration. Under the books and comics section, would it be beneficial to have separate Canon and Legends subforums? This would provide a clear cut navigation path for users to discuss either the old EU (Legends) or all new canon literature material. Having everything in one forum just seems confusing and overall, a little bit of a headache for forum users. There may be other ways to restructure the forum based on canon and legends but this is what initially comes to mind. Tagging posts canon or legends may be confusing for users new to a Star Wars or unfamiliar with what makes canon canon. If I have any other ideas I'll post in the event the admins are open to changes.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A concern I have with this idea is where would fans discuss both?

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I can't speak for Lit, but I know that discussions have been going on for some time among EUC moderation staff regarding adding in a "Legends tag" for the EUC forum which would be used on some existing threads as well as other "Legends" threads going forward. There are no plans there to "split off" new material from old via sub-forums

[​IMG]

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can see the concern for the future, but at the moment I feel we've sort of just been pushed off the diving board and aren't sure how long's the drop. That is, we've been told they're "making a NEU" but already we're seeing elements of the old EU cropping up in ads for the new stuff. Episode VII will likely be the defining point when we can say how far we've actually moved from the old EU, so until then any split seems premature. (Not to say it's a bad idea though, once we finally figure out what's going on.)

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, and I'd also say we need to wait until NEU material is actually released to make a decision. Right now we have pre-release copies of one book and speculation on four others, plus comic speculation. Compared to the amount of material under the Legends tag, that's not really enough to make a forum. Or even really a tag.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree that it's too early to consider doing anything like that.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I think after the movie is close to being released and we know which way Disney has decided to take it, might be a better time to discuss if a separate tag maybe neccessary or not. It's still too early to know which way this new movie will swing.

I'm hoping they keep the characters from the EU, but I also know there's chance they might not...

A separate tag might not be a bad idea. Or a separate forum all together. Just a thought...

8. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Why not have a Top Tag. I mean like in the animal kingdom? Have Legends/ Canon. then what ever sub forum tags are. Solving all the problems.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unfortunately double-tagging isn't supported in the release of Xenforo we are on. It might be something we look at once we upgrade to a more recent release. Grimby is looking into upgrading but there's a lot of checking too be done to ensure the add-ons we are using are compatible.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't think I've seen double tagging in the new features list so far for any of the upgrades, I believe it's still in the pipelines.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I could have sworn that I came across an add-on to handle it. I was looking for it as a result of a query for either Fan Fic or Ep VII. Problem was the add-on wasn't compatible with our current Xenforo release.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, an add-on. I was talking first party.