main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Recommended Viewing before TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by hartman89, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Just stick to the films. There is no other essential viewing needed for TFA. The overwhelming majority of people who will see this film don't give a crap about canon and will not have seen even the "official" TV shows.

Enjoy EU to whatever degree you want, and some of it is quite good, but none of it qualifies as necessary viewing for VII.

Also since we still know almost nothing about VII's plot, I would discard the posts from people claiming that this new film doesn't have anything to do with the prequels. For all we know this trilogy could tie the PT and OT even more tightly than they currently are.

2. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'd throw in the LEGO: The Padawan Menace into viewing. AFAICT, it fits in perfectly fine with canon.
    I'd throw in all the Family Guy homages and Robot Chicken shorts too for fun.

3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The Story Group is there in part to make sure that doesn't happen.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you have not viewed it prior, you ought to screen Das Cabinet Das Caligari (1919) as it is a very important film in the history of cinema. What else would be considered necessary viewing...? Oh! Fans of cinema really ought to be familiar with the works of Fritz Lang and James Whale, as well.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

And Spaceballs. Of course.

6. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Not to be too pretentious, but The Room is considered to be one of the most important movies of all time. I would suggest watching it at least once prior to TFA so you can really appreciate the film making process.

7. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I only saw The Disappeared once, so maybe I should give it a closer look in the future. That is actually an interesting point about harvesting the force, I hadn't fully considered it having a larger impact on the Saga, and that would be interesting to see if it does. We also learn a bit about spirits returning to the physically world, or at least attempting to. I will also add, out of everything with Jar Jar in it, it is probably the best portrayal of the character we have seen.

8. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi- the theatrical original cuts. This is what JJ and co are making a sequel to.

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  9. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Ive taken numerous Film as Literature classes, so I like to think I have a pretty good appreciation for the whole process and art. Once again, I was referring to SW universe things, and not "necessary" but maximize viewing pleasure rather.

10. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    A) no way. The special editions are what's canon
    B) The originals are follow ups to the prequels so you should watch those too. They're CANON whether you or any other purist likes it or not
    C) the Clone Wars and Rebels are also canon so I suggest doing a binge of TCW and rebels season 1 before viewing

Seagoat likes this.
  11. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

A. Canon or not, they still suck.
    B. Rumor is JJ only paid lip service to Lucas, but said he betrayed and murdered his movies.
    C. The SEs follow up on the Prequels. I hope to god the ST follows up on the OOT.

12. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Even at gunpoint you couldn't get me to watch the special editions, canon or not.

DarthTedTheodoreLogan likes this.
  13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Exactly, this.

Seeing that Disney and crew are aiming to relaunch Star Wars for a new generation, I don't see them forcing us to seek out all kinds of supplemental material just to enjoy the experience. They're certainly not going to require us to sit down and watch 6 seasons of a cartoon series that was very hit and miss just to understand what is going on when Star Wars returns to theaters in December. Personally, any required viewing for TFA starts and ends with the previous six films. Anything beyond that is icing on top of the cake and there simply to enhance the experience.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... as I said earlier:

15. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    A. That's your opinion. They're all I've ever known
    B. Then he's a complete and total moron
    C. That wouldn't make sense. The Story Group will make sure it all fits together. Since the SE's are the only things widely available, they're canon

Seagoat likes this.
  16. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    Ok then watch in this order: Episode I, Episode II, Star Wars Clone Wars (2004) which can be found compiled on youtube, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI. Just for simplicity I'll link an HD version of Clone Wars.

17. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Appreciate it, I will throw that in along with the itinerary I was given before. Just not sure where to plug it in...

18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I may regret asking this, but why the 2004 series and not the 2008 TCW series? Personal preference?

19. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    I plan on doing both and as soon as I have the order, well, lets just say there will be an awakening...Plus alot of fights with mama bear about me missing work and baby bears staying home from school "sick"...Or should I say baby ewoks...Which by the way is what I dressed my youngest up as on his for his first Halloween.

20. JBFett007

Nov 23, 2014
    Personal preference, but this is not the place to get into a Clone Wars vs TCW debate. I'm also recommending the 2004 one because this guy has kids and it's obvious he's doing it more so for his kids. The 2004 series is not just quick, but it fits between episodes 2 and 3 much better, and actually has a conclusion which leads directly into episode 3.

You can't fit the 2004 version in with the 2008 version because the later supersedes the original in the old "canon hierarchy." One of the few ups of the canon wipe though is that it is much more flexible around anything pre-OT, and I have the ability to cherry pick what I do and do not personally enjoy to include in my version of canon. I'll say it now, and won't repeat it so as not to start a thread war, but I find the 2008 TCW to be absolute trash compared to the original, mainly because they pretty much from the onset made it out to be "THE DEFINING PIECE OF EU", and for lack of a better phrase, they took a dump on a lot of former EU. To conclude, I suggest skipping 2008 TCWs as all it will do is give you a headache, and by skipping it you don't have to face your wife, get fired, or make your kids educationally impaired :)

21. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    They are genetically connected to me...They ARE educationally impaired. I will however, take your input quite seriously in making my final decision. Thanks...

22. JBFett007

Nov 23, 2014
    Absolutely :) Stay happy, and healthy my friend, and by that I mean avoid having a frying pan impact your face :p

23. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    She is more of a kick me while Im sleeping kind of chick...going to sleep now before she invents a problem for me to solve and or a fight...puppy love...

24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The only necessary viewing before TFA is ROTJ......

25. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I can't really say, yet, what would be best to watch before seeing TFA since we know so little about the plot. Maybe Return of the Jedi? The cartoons could have some relevance to the new series, but now I'm just guessing lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.