main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Record Banned in Germany

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Iwakura, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hello there. I am from the U.S. and I listen to a band (also hailing from the U.S.) called Hanzel und Gretyl. Their lyrics are mostly in German--one of the members wears lederhosen--it's just sort of their thing. They released their newest album this past Spring and it has been banned in Germany. This is, apparently, due to misinterpretation. The name of the album is "Ãœber Alles" and a couple of the tracks are called "Third Reich from the Sun" and "SS Deathstar Supergalactic".

Now, when they use the words "Ãœber Alles"--they are just refering to the actual meaning--"above all" because the band incurred 5 years of legal trouble from their old record label and consider themselves to now be stronger and "above all."

"Third Reich from the Sun" is a joke. For one, it is in reference to the American sit-com "Third Rock from the Sun" and for two, they are using the meaning of "reich" literally--"kingdom." As in..the planet earth is the third kingdom from the sun.

The "SS" in "SS Deathstar Supergalactic" stands for "Star Ship."

I was told that it was banned because of the connotations--people actually thinking they were fascists or something.

So, I just wanted some genuine German opinions on why this kind of thing would happen? I also heard that it might be actually unlawful in Germany to have "Ãœber Alles" on a tshirt or cd, is this true?

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    While I might see somehow why the "Ãœber Alles" and "Third Reich" parts could have been banned, the SS thing is stupid, especially if it's in front of a Starship name.

Officials in Germany are a tad too sensitive when it comes to German history.
    Although I must admit that I can't stand it anyway that Germany's darker side of its history still plays such a big role nowadays. It's another century, after all.

(And weren't you the one with the Nena thread in YJCC?)

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Nena thread? *runs to the YJCC* :D

I am not sure, if I know this band and how they normaly act... And of course how their songs are meant.
    But of that, what you write, it is correct to ban the album. But I also have to agree with TwiLekJedi: I can't stand it anyway that Germany's darker side of its history still plays such a big role nowadays

4. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    (mix-up. It was Nina Hagen, not Nena. Or was it?)

yeah, never heard of them either, but the point still stands. Sometimes people really overreact. It is, if what you describe is the case, jokingly using phrases people connect with that era in a completely different context. It's provoking at most, but not bannable. But then again, Germany bans Ego-Shooters, too.

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    (Nina Hagen? :( No Nena? :_| )

But sometimes it is ok, that they are banned. It belongs to the behavior and the real meaning of their songs and so on.

Banned Ego-Shooter... *sigh*

Edit:
    Btw Why are you here at this time, Senny? :eek: :eek: What happens? ?[face_plain] Or haven't you slept yet? ?[face_plain] :eek: :eek:

6. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    (since when don't you read the HB anymore?)

what's with the sighing about banned Ego-Shooters?

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    (Ups.. [face_blush] Then the thread is a bit older, right?)

I "love" this endless discussion about allowing ego-shooter or not. [face_plain]

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    (just compare times)

There should neither be a discussion about it nor the words "not" and "allowed" in one sentence.

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    From a certain point of view you are right. ;)

10. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    Yes, I made the Nina Hagen thread quite awhile back. ^_^

Anyway, yeah it is pretty ridiculous. This music that they make couldn't be more devoid of a political message. The words they are using are just that...words. Some people in the U.S. make a big deal out of it too--automatically associating strong German imagery with Naziism. It's a shame.

Thanks for the input! ^_^

11. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    never heard of this band.

12. Skytalker

Skytalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    "they are using the meaning of "reich" literally--"kingdom."

"Empire" would be more appropriate than "kingdom" (at least in that context) ;)

In case of a kingdom, you´d rather say "Königreich"

13. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    ""Empire" would be more appropriate than "kingdom" (at least in that context)

In case of a kingdom, you´d rather say "Königreich""

Oh, ok. Thanks for the correction. I think that their German can be kind of mediocre sometimes, so it's not always correct. In some cases, I think they even make up words...like "blachen blichen rachen schtikken" I don't think those are real, but it's in one of their songs.

Can't wait to learn to speak German next year, maybe then I can come back here and try it out on all of you! ;)

14. Dyesce

Dyesce Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    Well, the "Third Reich" was meant to be a kingdom/empire, too.

I don't know that band, but I think it's obvious that they use all these catch phrases as a means to provoke.

I don't like unnessessary provocation...

I also don't like that our history (which is pretty much the same as every other nations e.g. Amerika <-> Indians or Blacks) follows us that far. We're the third generation ... I didn't tell the grandfathers to do anything... haven't been living then.

15. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    IMO, they aren't being provocative. When I saw the title of the song...I didn't think "*gasp* they are nazi's!" I thought: "oh, heheh, like the TV show."

"I also don't like that our history (which is pretty much the same as every other nations e.g. Amerika <-> Indians or Blacks) follows us that far."

Trust me, so does America's history to an extent--mostly just in America though. I really hate that people would think of WWII stuff automatically when they think of Germany. When I think of Germany, I think of beer and polka :p I also work in a town here called Frankenmuth--which is touted as "Michigan's Little Bavaria" so I am exposed to the sort of cliche' German stuff all the time.

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    polka? Isn't it more about polish? ;) *ducks*

But at least one of the person that do not think about beer and sauerkraut. ;)

Ok, at my sport school I learned polka, so I shouldn't say too much... ;)

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    What's wrong with beer and sauerkraut? You can't get good Swedish sauerkraut. :(

18. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    Can't get good saurkraut in "michigan's little bavaria" either. They don't put any seasonings in it, yuck!

19. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I don't like beer and sauerkraut at all and I'm a true Münchner Kindl (Munich Child :p)...

20. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    In one of the last issues of National Geographic published here in Germany (as a normal mag), they showed a town in Brazilia where only Germans live ! :D

I was somehow stunned, seeing so cliché-like looking Germans (or rather their descendants) living in sub-tropical environment Brazil !

(It's late, my English-translating brain gets tired ... ;) )

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Nothing is wrong with beer and sauerkraut - only that it is a clichee about Germany. ;)

Ok, and I don't like beer. ;) But sauerkraut is good from time to time. :)

22. Myaha

Sep 24, 2002
    not my taste at all ;)

but I ate sushi for around 40? today... so I think I don't count as sane human being either :D

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sushi is really good. :D But for 40?... :eek:

;)

24. Myaha

Sep 24, 2002
    Comic Fest München... I bought a original metall Captain Future Comet from 1980 and Star Wars Action Figures... the 40 ? for Sushi were only the final "drop onto the hot stone" ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.