Recurring Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by b-wingmasterburnz, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b-wingmasterburnz Force Ghost

star 3
    OK, now be advised that Mace Windy gave me permission to use a little bit of Clone Wars material in this thread, just incase you don't agree with EU.

I suppose this all started when I saw those "Making of Episode III" webdocs on starwars.com and there was that one showing how they were making sure the same lightsabers from ANH were being used. That was when I remembered that Luke's ANH and TESB lightsaber once belonged to Anakin, and I was immediately interested.

While I was reading some of my Clone Wars comics, I noticed that Anakin's lightsaber matched Luke's, and I thought "Hey, it's good that the EU authors are thinking ahead like that." I also noticed that OB1's lightsaber didn't match Alec Guiness', but events could still unfold that make him aquire that saber.

[incase you need to know, OB1's saber's most distinctive feature is that 4-pronged bulb at the base of the hilt. The Anakin/Luke lightsaber's giveaway is that lip at the business-end that's higher at one side.]

However, I then noticed a few things that made me confused: The lightsaber OB1 used in AOTC before he was captured at Geonosis matched the Clone Wars lightsaber and?I'm pretty sure?his TPM lightsaber. Also, Anakin's lightsaber he used before the Battle of Geonosis matched Luke's. Then I thought "Oh. The EU authors merely copied the AOTC lightsabers."

So, now we have a problem. I find it unlikely that OB1 retrieved his lightsaber from the Theed reactor shafts, or went back to the catacombs for it after the Battle of Geonosis. [If it was even intact in both cases.] We also know that Anakin's lightsaber was destroyed in the Geonosian factories. Anakin's green Geonosis lightsaber was destroyed in the fight with Dooku, and OB1's blue Geonosis lightsaber was just a plain silver shaft?probably a loaner?that we know he didn't keep. Incidentally, if you are looking for EU material, I know OB1 used Qui-Gon's lightsaber for a few years.

So, did OB1 build the same lightsaber three times? And did Anakin build the Luke model twice? I suppose you could say that once the Clone Wars started, the Jedi were being called galaxy-wide to serve in battles, and they had little time to themselves. Therefore, it may have been easier for Anakin and OB1 to build something they already knew how to build. The earliest I saw those sabers was at the Battle of Kamino, 2 months after the Battle of Geonosis. Maybe 2 months is a rushed time for the solemn Jedi lightsaber-construction ritual. I don't know.

So, what are your thoughts? I believe this may be due to laziness and ignorance on the Lucasfilm prop department, but that may be overly-critical. Oh, and if anyone has seen the Alec Guinness lightsaber in the later comics yet, could they also mention that here? I haven't gotten to Volume V yet, so I don't know if he gets the AOTC lightsaber back. I'd prefer it if you would keep any ROTS spoilers about when OB1 gets the Alec Guinness lightsaber to yourself for this thread. Thanks.
  2. KennyT Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think Lucas is far too critical of every little detail to have overlooked this. However, often times Lucas finds it not necessary to explain every little detail to us either.

IMO, first of all Anakin and Obi-Wan go through Lightsabers like I do a cheap pair of sunglasses. They are always losing them or having them broken. It just could be the fact that they liked the style and type of lightsaber they were accustomed to using and tried to replicate it if possible. For example, I had a cellphone I really liked get run over by my truck (another long story), so when I replaced it, I made sure to get the exact same model, even though I could have gotten a newer or different one. Someone I never told that story to, but seen me on the phone often, would probably assume it is the same cell phone I always have used. They would not know of the exciting story that caused me to break my other one, just that I am using a similar phone. Same as Anakin's lightsaber.

Also, another suggestion. Since they lose them all the time, it is possible they have more than one. A backup or two, just in case. Obi-Wan told Luke that the lightsaber was Lukes fathers once, but did not say it was the only one he had. Just a thought
  3. Adm_Thrawn Jedi Master

star 4
    After losing his lightsaber on Naboo, Obi-Wan an exact replica of the one he lost.
    After losing his lightsaber on Geonosis, Obi-Wan built an excact replica of the one he lost.
    Upon [minor spoiler material], Obi-Wan decided to construct a new one.
    This occured sometime before ROTS.

http://www.geocities.com/kwenn86/obiwanlightsabre3
    It's all there.

Please do not discuss Episode III events in this forum. This is a spoiler-free forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.