main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recurring themes (a politician?s behavior)

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by openmind, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003

In the beginning of AOTC while the Jedi and Senator Amidala are discussing her safety, Palpatine is quietly in thought, staring at the window watching the Coruscant traffic. And the moment he gives the idea about Obi Wan protecting her, Palpatine is actually looking down for a moment possibly at this table, then gives the line. He then stresses it saying that to do that ?for him?.

It is similar in TPM, but Padme this time. While Palpatine (just as he is nominated Chancellor and confident about it) he gives the excuse about how the TF has control of Naboo. This time, its Padme in thought looking at the Coruscant traffic. She then looks down for a split second (where there is small table) and tells Palpatine her idea about how Coruscant is his arena and that she has to attend to hers. And she then stresses why as her fate will be no different than her people.

I think there is an interesting parallel here, and there is purpose to it. The first one, with Palpatine wanting Padme to be protected by Obi Wan, purely for an underhanded purpose (to delay her vote), while the other Padme sacrificing herself for the love of her people. Unlike Palpatine who we know has his own agenda.

Fine acting as well. :)

What do you think?

2. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Very interesting. Wonder who'll be looking at the traffic and table in 3.

3. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Just when I think that I have notice connection, I find a gem like this one. :)

Also, compare both scenes to the wonderfully evil manipulation of Jar-Jar. As Palpatine's henchman says, "if only Senator Amidala were here" and Palpy nods in agreement, one can almost see the lightbulb turn on over Jar-Jar's head.

Then again, it is not all that different from Palpatine whispering to Amidala in TPM in the senate, subtly urging her to call for a vote of no confidence.

Palpatine is very good at being very evil. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.