main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?Red & Dead? ? Anakin Solo and Mara Jade ? Current Topic: ?Gone, Not Forgotten'--Part 2

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Thrawn McEwok, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    C2s are basically lists that individuals or groups run... mini-categories of their own that they can add any fic from FFN onto.

2. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Good topic choice, Thrawn. :D I really can't wait to see what we Marakin writers can do with this one. [face_mischief]

More once I'm no longer sleep deprived (depraved?). I-)

3. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Okay, I've churned out my Red & Dead challenge entry :D

Read it here!

4. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Here's my response to the drabbles challenge: Elemental. :D

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Must say, I've been immensely enjoying the challenges coming from this thread. :D :D

6. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Thrawn, are you still looking for judges for the 'Anakin in Charge!' challenge? Since the plot bunnies haven't bitten me, I'd be happy to volunteer. :D

7. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Me, too. I'm considering doing the drabble challenge and have a few ideas for that, though.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Kidan, LW, thank you for the 'fic! :D

LW, Eleventh_Guard, consider yourself ?Anakin in charge!? judges - and thanks, too! [face_blush] :cool:

And, I can't think of anything smart, witty or interesting to say at the minute... [face_frustrated]

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    *salutes* :cool:

Now, bring on the bribes! :D

:eek:

It's all right. Just give it a minute. I'm sure something will come to you. :p

10. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
  11. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    come on folks, we need more entries for the "Anakin in Charge" challenge....no fun if I win only because I'm the only entry..:p

12. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    sooo.. what happens if you write a Marakin that's not sutible for site - got it covered! Thanks

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Finally finished my May challenge reply: Wing-Pair! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

14. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Okay... a few things - maybe I should do weekly updates? :p

1.) There's a second post up on my May Challenge 'fic, Wing-Pair...
    2.) Anyone who's written any Marakin and wants it linked-to should PM me.
    3.) I'm planning on tweaking the Marain website archive with a new "splash page". Anyone who wants to be involved should PM me! :D
    4.) And, most importantly of all, I got this via PM today:

Now I like concrit, but I tend to think of this thread as an informal, unofficial anarchist collective, so with ophelia's permission, I'm throwing this out there for the community to discuss...

:D

- The Imperial Ewok

15. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Anybody...?

Anyway, ophelia wants her reply, so unless I hear otherwise, here's what I'm submitting on behalf of the thread:

[b]Thread Name:[/b] ?Red & Dead? ? Anakin Solo and Mara Jade
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any:[/b] N/A
    [b]Thread Type:[/b] Characterization/Pairing
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?[/b] Yes
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b] N/A
    [b]Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/b] No
    [b]Is concrit a typical part of the thread?[/b] No
    [b]Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?[/b] Yes - absolutely![hr][/blockquote]

And in other news... [i]WHERE IS EVERYONE!?[/i] :-/ :_|

- The Imperial Ewok

16. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Uh, I just posted a fic, but since it doesn't focus on the interaction of Mara and Anakin, I don't think it counts. It's about Ben, Thrackan, and Centerpoint. [face_plain]

Hey, look, it's June. Do we get a new challenge? :D

17. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    I thought I posted something about that Ophelia thing...

sorry!

and yeah...a new challenge would be fun..

18. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Hey... aren't you the thread host, McEwok?

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Well, the 'fic is here, and I think it's rather good...

Given that I'm trying to encourage analysis and concrit, we can start the ball rolling with a new question: is this a Marakin 'fic? [face_mischief]

We should, aye.... :D

I'd originally bounced some ideas around with one of our AWOL participants - thoughts about how Anakin and Mara's relationship impacts on Tahiri and Luke. I don't want to really forge ahead with those ideas while they're away...

So, we need to do something else. I'm wondering whether we could/should do something about AUs, or about the impact of the Yuuzhan Vong...

[face_laugh] Anything else you've forgotten...?

Yeah, yeah, okay...

:p Not quite, I don't think. My attitude to organization is pretty anarchic and consensus-based... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

20. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Is my fic a Marakin fic? Um, yes and no. Yes, in the sense that it would be very difficult to miss the fact that Ben is Anakin's son in that fic (which has the timeline shifted forward to make the implied pairing kosher.) No, in the sense that neither Anakin nor Mara appear in the fic, nor are they ever mentioned by name. It's all about Ben's dealing with Jacen leaving him and his own slide into the Dark Side, certainly catalyzed by the fact that at some indeterminate point he discovered that people were keeping secrets about him - that his semi-perfect family had some major issues - and it would have had a negative impact on his psychological state. And some stuff about Corellia and Centerpoint because plot is good.

I'm game for either/any suggestion on a new challenge. Getting plotbunnies is kind of like fishing, though. Sometimes they bite and bite, and sometimes they just don't... it's hard to predict. (Although ideas with potential for angst are likelier to bite than fluff, for me at least.) But with my new job, on my days off I have to sleep in the morning to early afternoon and stay up all night because otherwise it will throw my work-day sleep pattern WAY off, and that would stink. It's boring to be up all night with nothing to do. I can't even clean house at night because I'll wake my sister up. [face_frustrated] So I've been able to write a little bit more. :D

What about Jaina? If Mara is spending a lot of time with Anakin and training him, especially early-NJO era, what does Mara's former Apprentice think about this?

21. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    i think since one of the basic premises of that fic is "Marakin" as a ship that it should count for a Marakin fic..

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    It was the Centerpoint thing that really clinched it for me, personally - though I liked the way it fed into the family dysfunction...

And then there's Ben's character - a combination of Mara's key traits (sneakiness) and Anakin's (ability to work with machines). Then again, is that different than canon?

:p [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

The first thing I thought of here was Anakin and Jaina's little talk at the end of DT:R. I can't think of a single scene which is built round the three of them - or even one where all three of them have speaking parts...

o_O [face_thinking]

Do we have the nucleus of a challenge here? :D

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Double post! :p

But just to rationalize the replies a bit...

[quote=Kidan]i think since one of the basic premises of that fic is "Marakin" as a ship that it should count for a Marakin fic..[/quote]

Yep - it's a Marakin!Ben 'fic, which means it's founded firmly on Marakin. I guess the question is how much we want to spread that idea around...

Which leads on to another possible discussion topic: how explicit do we want Marakin to be? How well-defined? How ambiguous? :D

And how does that impact on the characters?

- The Imperial Ewok

24. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    As for how explicit and how well-defined, I think that needs to be the purview of the fic in question. I mean, an ambiguous subtext of Marakin as a sexual relationship as opposed to straight Marakin mush/smut-fic are both Marakin fics.

Now the impact on the characters is also defined by that very nature of the fic as well.

I guess my point is, that if we standardize what we're talking about beyond just any permutation of the Marakin relationship (such as Marakin!Sex or Marakin!MAster/Apprentice) then we're limiting the quantity and quality of Marakin fics produced.

okay....this day has gone for way to long...i'm leaving work now.

25. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    *nods* Any of those would work; depends on the fic, the fic's point, the author, and the archive being posted to. All we can really do here is Master/Apprentice (or other platonic arrangements), subtext, AU romance, or romance with a trick to it (one-sided, or Anakin's memory has been somehow collected and put into a clone body that is older now, or some other explanation). That's actually a lot of possibilities...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.