Red Dead Redemption -- Discussion for Rockstar's romp in the Wild West

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5

We needed one of these, so here it is. Now we can talk, debate, post news and reviews, and all things Red Dead.
  2. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    You misspelled Grand Theft Horse.
  3. gundarkhunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Love the thread title alliteration :p

Point conceded, btw. Hadn't thought about the differences in how the world would perceive your character based on your choices ala Fable or how a NPC can live or die and the game just keeps going, regardless. Those do indeed make it a different game than GTA. Makes the puddle of anticipation salivation a bit bigger=P~ [face_dancing] . After seeing the tiny "Desert" teaser in the Episodes From Liberty City manual and having heard the "GTH" comparison from the press, I just concluded that RDR would be GTA IV with Wild West gimmicks and the same level of new features that are usually added to the newest iteration of a GTA game. I think, too, that you're right about the game being able to stand on it's own merits. Of course, none of us here have played it, but it sounds like this will be more like a GTA killer than a GTA clone.

I almost wish R* would've used a different title to further separate it from RDRevolver, as it seems more like a different game and less like a sequel, imho.

After RDR releases, I'm kinda wondering if THQ will make their "improved" knock-off of it[face_mischief] .

4. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    lol @ Reynar. [face_beatup]

I think the reason Rockstar surprised us by showing so much gameplay (actual gameplay, not cutscene, like in GTA IV's trailers) in the "introduction" trailer was strictly because this game's predecessor didn't do so well. Like Rockstar wanted to wash the "taste" out of people's mouth.

I think I'm in the minority when I say I enjoyed Revoler on PS2. I never imagined that Rockstar would do this with it. Granted, Revolver was not a run of the mill, typical Rockstar game, I thought they would continue with it. Glad to see they didn't.

Again, I think Rockstar decided to show so much gameplay because they had to show us gamers "Look, this game will not be another installment to the series; it's like a reboot." And that's how I look at it. It's not a sequel to Revolver at all, and the only ties it has, according to Houser, is the name. That tickles me with delight. This is a whole new series and I think it will be Rockstar's master work, their "swan song".

Think about it, if they used GTA IV, their flagship series, to test the game mechanics and engines for this, Redemption, so they worked even better, that's saying something!

See, I've read the GameInformer article (and countless "hands-on" articles) and it seems the opinions are mixed. Some say "Redemption is GTA with a horse," while some others say "If you think Redemption is just GTA with a western skin, you are mistaken."

Either way, we can make up our minds for ourselves come April. And I will still gladly eat crow if I play the game for hours and think "wow, this is just GTA with a Western twang." :p
  5. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Want this game so bad.
  6. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    I've been dying for a well-made Western for quite awhile. The original Red Dead Revolver was about the closest we got to a Spaghetti Western in Videogame form. I'm interested to see how this one turns out.
  7. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I too have wanted an open world western game for a while. I just think the whole idea fascinates me and I'm glad Rockstar jumped on it, because I think their GTA sensibilities could really work well with the genre since that's pretty much what the old west is made to feel like in the modern era. So I think this game will be great and I really cannot wait to get my hands on it.
  8. Vaynx_Fett Jedi Padawan

this game is gonna be really cool i cant wait til it actually comes out. i was a little disappointed when they pushed the release date until april because i was counting on october, but i guess its sort of a good thing.
  9. plo_koom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can I make my character look like Charlie Prince? This is important.
  10. gundarkhunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    While it looks there will be different clothing options in some form(I think I saw 4 different outfits), since you play as a specific character I'm not thinking there will be any physical/facial customization options available. Just like any GTA, Claude Speed, Tommy Vercetti, Carl Johnson, Niko, Johnny and Luis were not customizable except for clothing options except in the cases of Claude or Johnny Klebitz, who had no options available, or Carl Johnson, who could change things like hair or build. The gameplay vid only shows those few changes in clothing, which could easily be as limited as GUN, with Marston's outfit only changing based on where you're at in the story or, more likely, where you're at on the map so as to appropriately be dressed for whatever the local weather is. Personally, I'm hoping for as much customization as possible so I can look like this...

[image=http://www.16bit.com/toypics/mgs/revolver/01.gif]

As great as this game looks though, I'm doubting RDR2's customization options will be much more than what we've already seen in GUN, simply because a 19th century cowboy would not have had more than 1 or 2 outfits in their possesion unless they were wealthy, or at least sedentary.

Love the inclusion of the Aliens knife/hand minigame [face_dancing]

Edit: Hmmm 3:09 "...you might get wealthier in the process." Marston's beard is gone and he has an "awfully toney" suit on.

For the definition of toney, watch Tombstone.
  11. Gamer_4_life Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Waiting eagerly for this game to be released.. Very excited
  12. gundarkhunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    In seeing more and more screenshots, I'm now thinking the cusomization options will about the same as any GTA. I've seen a few more clothing items, including a duster [face_dancing] and I think it looks like you should be able to get a shave once in while, too.

Also, Whaaaa?
  13. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Rockstar: 'No Comment' on Red Dead Reports
    Rockstar Games declines to comment following reports from alleged sources inside its San Diego studio.

Joystiq reported quotes from alleged sources within Red Dead Redemption studio, Rockstar San Diego. The game "was a complete disaster for most of 2009 and previous ... it has since turned around a little bit, but there are huge problems with it still," according to one source.

Another claimed the game had "been in production for six years (mainly because of horrible management/lack of direction due to fear of disrespecting Rockstar NY) and it will never get the money back in sales it cost to create for those six years."

A reputed third source said that the game would need to sell five million copies to recoup its development costs. When we contacted them, Rockstar declined to comment. Despite any previous issues Red Dead Redemption is looking fantastic - it's out on April 27 and you can read our preview.

I still have faith in it, and in all likelihood will be contributing to the needed five million sold copies.
  14. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    My only problem with all the "this game is a disaster" and "this game is doing horribly" and "this game will be a complete mess when it comes out" is that it didn't look that way, at all, in the 4 minute preview we saw.

Now I know as well as anyone else Rockstar isn't going to show us a preview for it's game that looks like utter garbage. The screen shots we've seen (even the recently released ones, up to a few days ago) look outstanding and so did the footage.

The reports are unfounded of "unfair treatment" and "suffering game". I'm sure if this was a fact, the hands-on previews that many sites have had would speak volumes. I've read hands-on reports of games where the editor has said "I was very unimpressed, but this is early," so it's not like editors are afraid to say bad things of games in development. The fact remains I have yet to read one single negative hands on preview.

The idea of everything "falling apart" takes the wind out of my sails, but I still have faith in the game.
  15. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    More news on the Rockstar "problems".

The only thing that bugs me about all of this is the fact that it all started as "Oh noez, the spouses are angry!" Then suddenly it exploded into how bad the game is coming along.

I just find it hard to believe.
  16. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  17. gundarkhunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Eh, still just as excited to play this. I'm sure what's being reported is pretty commonplace in the game industry, just as it is in any other competitive industry. Having tried my hand at a few different vocations, the one thing all but a scant few of them had in common, was the lack of thought put into how brutal schedules can affect employees and their home lives. I think that someone just decided to complain this time. Jeez, watch any "making of" special feature on just about any DVD that has one and I guarantee you'll hear something about the long hours and dedication it took to bring the film to life, even crappy movies.

And I don't think any of this will affect the final product, which I'm sure will sell like hotcakes once the TV and interweb advertisements start flowing.

I'm wondering what kind of goodies Gamestop will offer with preorders/Special Editions...[face_thinking]
  18. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  19. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    Supposedly, it's going to be a "Fans vote to choose" the exclusive outfit/skin that comes with the game. It's supposed to start today, but I haven't seen anything on it just yet. I'll have to poke around.

Gamestop has it listed as starting 1/15, so we'll see if something happens within the day.
  20. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    Gamestop vote is up.

Interesting choices. I think the patch will win, just because...it's a patch.

However, they obviously made, or went to the trouble to design the others, so hopefully all of them will be in there in the end.

[Edit]

[image=http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/gamestop/referendum/img/savvy_merchant_caption.jpg]
    This shrewd negotiator is able to get his hands on valuable firepower. Benefit: Buy guns and ammunition from any gunsmith for half the cost

[image=http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/gamestop/referendum/img/deadly_assassin_caption.jpg]
    Known throughout the frontier for his lethal reputation with a pistol. Benefit: Regenerates "Dead Eye" targeting twice as fast.

[image=http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/gamestop/referendum/img/expert_hunter_caption.jpg]
    Fears no beast, and emerges from the wilderness with valuable pelts and hides. Benefit: Receives double the amount of skins and hides from hunting.
  21. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I can live without all three, but I voted for The Savvy Merchant. I like the look, plus the bonus is nice.
  22. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  23. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    There's no way those reports of the game being a disaster were true. I simply can't believe it. IGN posted two new articles, one a hands-on, and they give no indication that the game is a disaster.

Watching that video made me wish April was tomorrow. The game looks fantastic and very, very smooth running. The cover system looks great too. Sliding into cover FTW.

Also, the main site has been update over on the official page. Looks very sleek.
  24. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Incredible. I want to shoot a buffalo. This is one of my must-buys of the year, alongside the Mass Effect, BioShock, Fallout, and Final Fantasy sequels. I don't get why so many people are obsessed/worried by the development issues. The videos all show a game that has the potential to be a Game of the Year.

April 27th is suddenly a long, long ways from now. This looks awesome in every way, shape, and form.
  25. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree. Though I was one of those people concerned for the development (I've been following it for a long time; since it was PS3 exclusive, then fell off the map), when it resurfaced I nearly messed myself to see how amazing it looked. Then I heard from, albeit, unnamed sources, that the game is a "mess". Had me worried.

But Rockstar has since responded and restored to us hope with all this. Thankfully, I have a full gaming schedule to last me to April. But yes, it still looks very far off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.