main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Dead Redemption -- Discussion for Rockstar's romp in the Wild West

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    That can be said for almost any late comers to MP games, though. Especially CoD.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    For every person I hear that doesn't experience RDR's campaign to its completion, I weep a little on the inside.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I hear ya. I'm not a lover of the western but it was definitely one of the better stories I've seen lately and if the game has to be enjoyed, it's for that fact alone. And at first I questioned the setting, but setting a story in the dying days of the Old West was quite appropiate given the nature of the story, one where endings were the motif throughout. Still, I wish for a different ending, cliché though it might've been. I guess ol' John Marston simply grew on me. :_|

4. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    You know, I still haven't played this game yet. I think I am missing out on some gaming goodness.

5. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Undead Nightmare is quite great.

6. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    yep

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    ^ sorry, edited wrong post. You'd think I'd be used to this modding gig by now. :oops:

8. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Just finished Undead tonight. Great add-on. Seriously what DLC should be for all games; full of awesome moments and great gameplay.

Though, I feel like it'll get bashed by some folks for the way it turns out. Though, I love it. :p

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It has to be said that despite an atrocious start, RDR has indeed grown greatly on me as I work my way towards the Fort Mercer mission, though I still loathe racing - shooting many enemies and looting their corpses is fun.

But a review of the DLC has pretty much sold me on it, just looks wonderfully violent.

10. robbiedbee

robbiedbee Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2006
    I adore this game. It is obviously comparable to the GTA games, but I think RDR's setting makes it far more interesting. I find travelling around to be less tedious, the combat to be more enjoyable, the story more engaging, and also I like John Marston a lot more than say, Niko Bellic.

I haven't played Undead Nightmare yet, I probably will when I've finished the main story. I've gone down to Mexico this morning on it, and have done about half a dozen missions there.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Mexico is a little slow but the ending crescendo is epic. Then it's back to the US of A for a little more justice. Enjoy the Tall Trees....

12. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I'll wait for GOTY or Ultimate edition on this game. Better to get everything on one go rather then spend twice as much for DLC and the game.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless you go for multiplayer, I don't think there is that much DLC for this though.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, of all the things I was expecting, the game to suicide spectacularly with a shotgun to the nuts wasn't it.

First, Fort Mercer - after all that work to get a gatling gun, they muck it up. I've never used such an inaccurate, pathetic, useless machine gun and the controls were crap too - how do you screw up a machine gun sequence? It shouldn't be possible.

Then after that, on the ferry ride, you have little cover and loads of enemies, all of whom can survive headshots and other hits - Kevlar was obviously issued at the turn of the century to your average bandit, oh yeah and Marston reloads so damn slowly that the whole thing's a bad joke. Auto-aim? Yeah - right into a rock.

That's it. It's screwed it's second chance, hell it'd probably screw up on the zombie DLC so I won't buy that after all.

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Odd, I had no issues with either of the parts you mentioned. Also, the auto-aim (unless you're using casual?) doesn't aim straight at the enemy; it aims toward them and you have to do some of the work; especially true if you're on something that's moving. IE: a raft.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult experience with it. Really, it's a great game.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it may boil down to RDR, like Vanquish, requires a level of dexterity and multitasking that is beyond me mixed with some baffling decisions, I was really looking forward to the Fort Mercer mission but that first Gatling Gun sequence was - somehow they just sucked all the glory out of it.

I think the thing I like most about this game is some of the random stuff.

Oh and duels - I loathe the entire mechanism so have decided, you issue a duel challenge to me, I shoot you - screw honour.

The pity of it is there is a lot to like about the game but it has some horrible walls in there too.

17. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    What is the undead thing? I thought it was DLC, but the commercial says "in stores now"

18. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    It is also DLC on a disc.

19. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The DLC on the disc includes Undead Nightmare as well as all the MP packs they put out over summer.

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Finally got my 100%. I did everything I knew to do and my final hang up? Map locations. [face_plain] Stupid. But 100% is now mine and I'm just a couple survivors away from 100% on Undead Nightmare.

For anyone looking to get the game this holiday season and is in a last minute pinch, Amazon has a killer deal. For whatever reason, the game bundled with the John Hillcoat DVD is cheaper than the game itself, and Amazon is offering free one-day shipping until Wednesday. I call it a steal.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Congrats on your small victory dude. Took you long enough! :D

22. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Okay I just got this game for Christmas, I was holding out cause I didn't know if I could dedicate any time playing it (especially since I love Western games, I played Gun to 100% completion).

So be honest, how much of my life did I just lose?

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Not much, just a couple of months as the most. But it'll be time well spent. :p

24. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Ken, you'll love it. Just watch out for 'damsels in distress' at the side of the road. :p

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Got this when it came out - dropping 30 bucks on the Undead Nightmare...worth it? I kinda need to eat and spending money is a bit tight. Damn my student status....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.