main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Dead Redemption -- Discussion for Rockstar's romp in the Wild West

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    When I was first playing Fallout 3, I was thinking how similar it was to a western, and that Bethesda should make a western RPG. Perhaps this will come close.

GUN was very close. It was certainly the best Western game since Sunset Riders, but it didn't fulfill the premise of the open world. I did like GUN's story a lot, though, which was a surprise, and it also featured some great voice-acting -- Thomas Jane, Kris Kristofferson, Brad Dourif, and Lance Henriksen all did stellar work in it.

The R.A.G.E. engine looks good in this setting. Hope for some awesome multiplayer, too. The framerate of the game looks slightly wonky, but they can always fix that. And was that the voice of Johnny Klebitz from The Lost and Damned coming from the main character in the trailer? Sure sounded like him.

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Sure sounds like him. I noticed that in the earlier trailers, as well. Some people say it's not him, but they just sound too alike. Not that it's a bad thing.

3. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Information roud-up:

Updated Factsheet:

Red Dead Redemption
    Developed by Rockstar San Diego with contributions by Rockstar North and Rockstar Leeds

Runs on Rockstar's RAGE engine and NaturalMotion's Euphoria.

John Marston:

The only character you play as

Has an inventory that can hold many items items

Can buy and own safehouses

Save by setting up camp

Camp can be set up anywhere

Can buy equipment from the General Store

Items available to purchase include Bandanas, Tobacco, Rabbit Feet, Campsite Upgrades, Bait and more

Upgrading the campsite allows for ammo regeneration while you sleep

John behaves very similar to Niko.

Can't swim. Water = Instant death

World:

Three regions: Desert, Plains, Mountains.

Each region is bigger than GTA IV's Liberty City

Total world size is twice as big as San Andreas

Day-and-Night cycle, weather changes and seasons

One full day and night cycle in-game = 25 minutes

Can enter any building

Two towns confirmed so far are Armadillo and Chuparosa

Regions are unlucked by story progress

No load times when transitioning from exterior to interior

Working commerce system

A crescent moon has been seen, opening the possibility for lunar cycles.

Mine shafts are present

Mapping a waypoint draws a path on the minimap

Dust devils occasionally kick up

When exploring the bush rarely went more than a minute without seeing a passerby

Wildlife:

Full ecosystem, with predators and prey.

40 different types of animals.

All animals can be killed.

Animals will attack you and NPCs

Vultures can come and eat at the bodies of your fallen foes

All animals will have their own AI, including birds

Travel:

Can ride horseback. Use spurs to increase speed, but if you use them too much the horse will buck you.

Can lasso wild horses, break them and saddle them

Carriages and trains make up fast-travel. You can experience it in real time or "take a nap" and wake up at your destination for instant travel.

If you try and tame a horse and don't do it successsfuly, the horse can drag you off.

Horse has it's own health/energy gauge

Pushing up on the D-Pad calls the horse at any time via a whistle.

Y button mounts the horse

Tapping A while riding a horse makes it go faster

Tapping the right bumper pulls back the reins, making it slow or stop

Horses will jump automatically over anything they can, so you just have to steer and press A periodically.

If your horse is stolen you can whistle and it will buck off the theif and return to you

If you are left stranded without a horse the game will detect this and send a new one your way in the form of an NPC event.

Hold the A button while riding alongside another rider will act as a sort of autopilot, keeping your horse at their pace.

Going through rought terrain on horseback is tricky. If you go to fast the horse will get pissed and buck you off.

Turning a horse around in place takes about 10 seconds.

Can tie the horse at a post.

NPCs:

NPCs will converse with one another, work at their jobs and act naturally

Dead NPCs can be robbed

All NPCs can be interacted with in conversation

NPC houses can be broken into and robbed

NPCs will set up camps in the wilderness, which you can join

Towns can be wiped out and temporarily become ghost towns. They repopulate in 2-3 days.

Can spend the night with women

NPCs will react to you based on your actions, which are measured by your Fame and Honor stats

Enemy NPCs are marked with Red markers on the Minimap.

Ally NPCs are marked with Blue Markers on the Minimap

Pursuing officers are marked with white stars embedded in Red markers on Minimap.

Can encounter a wide variety of NPCs, even cannibals.

NPC campsites allow you to sit down with some NPCs and enjoy a narrative set-piece. They also run of the risk of exposing you to bandits (especially after dark) who of course can become your prey.

NPCs may hold grudges

4. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    ^^ And...how is that not GTH? [face_mischief]

jk but seriously, this is looking better and better the more I see and hear. I love the time period it takes place in, almost steampunk.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Good. One of my biggest gripes about GTA IV was that I had to drive all the way to a safehouse if I wanted to save my game.

6. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Few more tidbits (some repeat, maybe)

Boomtown:
    - Fantastic voice acting and animation

Videogamer:
    - The player comes across a farmhouse. A pack of bandits are attacking a farmer. The player kills them all, but the farmer says that there's one left inside with his daughter. The player goes inside to investigate and sees the bandit with his knife at the girl's throat. The player fumbles and walks into a door frame. The bandit slits the girl's throat. The player fills the bandit with bullets. The farmer is horrified and starts crying over his daughter's corpse. The player loots a chest in the corner, then loots the farmer's daughter's corpse. Just to be an ass. This same scenario is presented in a few previews so far, and in each one the outcome is different in some way.

G4:
    Can't skin horses, dogs, squirrels

Total Videogames:
    -A stream of smoke in the distance led the player to discover a man stoking a campfire. Beside the campfire was a human body wrapped in linen. Around the campfire were human remains. The player killed the crazy cannibal and freed his prisoner, an old lady. Holy ****.

Digital Spy:
    - A random fight in a saloon ended with a man viciously stabbing a whore.
    - Expected to run at 30-35 FPS

Eurogamer:
    - An announcement concerning the score's composer is yet to come...
    - "I shoot a rabbit from horseback and watch its bloody body slide down a rock face." Seems animals such as rabbits will have some physics at least, contrary to claims made by IGN AU.
    - When you're stuck on foot for a period of time the game detects it and sends help, either in the form of someone riding by, a carriage crossing your path, a campsite popping up in the distance with a horse tethered, or any other means. This is a neat trick to alleviate one of San Andreas' biggest problems: Being stranded.
    - NPC campsites allow you to sit down with some NPCs and enjoy a narrative set-piece. They also run of the risk of exposing you to bandits (especially after dark) who of course can become your prey.
    - The farmhouse situation again. Because he managed to save the daughter he received maximum honor. If he had failed he would have received some because he tried. If he purposely killed her he'd receive the opposite. Karmic choices aren't binary.
    - Its possible to drink too much at the bar and pass out.
    - All the game's content is complete. The remaining months will be spent on polishing and debugging.

Gameinformer:

- "After we roughed up a man who looked at us funny in the Armadillo saloon, he returned later with a gun and opened fire on us right in the bar."

Gamesradar Part 1:
    - Gangs pop with special icons on minimap. You can track them.

Gamesradar Part 2:

- Shooting a vulture initiates a mini-game involving shooting them. Completing the game opens up more difficult challenges and boosts your fame a bit.
    - Can play horseshoes

MTV Multiplayer:
    - Turning a horse around in place takes about 10 seconds.
    - Can't swim. Water = Instant death.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    [face_plain]

And here I was looking forward to a No Country for Old Men scene where you get out of the water, remove the clip, blow inside the gun, insert the clip, and shoot a hungry animal right before it jumps on you. Would've been crazy realistic and awesome.

Instead? [face_plain]

8. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    With the game's focus on rural environments, I am very surprised R* brought back water = instant death.

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Also pasted:

Makes sense, actually. Cowboy boots are thick, heavy, rigid leather that squash the toes into a point, which makes swimming a no-go.Well besides the boots issue, there's also the problem of barriers. Allowing Marston to swim would make river barriers ineffective. And then there's the same issue that San Andreas had: Falling in a river and not being able to get out thanks to the terrain and having to swim five miles down river to fink a bank.

The only way I think it would work would be if rivers had currents that would carry you (so you wouldn't have to do so much swimming), if some currents were so strong they'd pull you under and drown you (for barriers) and if you could use your lasso to grab onto a tree or rock and pull yourself to safety so you don't have to wait until you come to a beach. But that would be a huge overhaul to the swimming system and frankly I don't swimming is a big enough deal for me to miss it. Would be a lot of fun, but it would also take Rockstar's focus away from other things.

I would like to be able to wade through water though. Instant-death water is rather stupid, and I think being able to wade out into shallower waters to cross streams and such would be nice and wouldn't be a huge huge deal.

But there is, of course, the possibility that Rockstar just didn't include swimming in the demo. Its only been mentioned in one preview as far as I can tell.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It's not a big deal. Swimming annoyed me in GTA IV, it's probably for the best that they omitted it in RDR.

11. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    It lead to some stupid and annoying missions in the GTA games. I think being able to wade shallow water would be good, but swimming was a pain. I remember falling off of things in GTA: SA and GTA IV and having to swim forever to get to land. So boring.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It's especially fun when you're speeding in a car and you miss a stunt jump by two inches. The car completely stops on impact while Niko goes flying a hundred yards into the ocean.

13. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    QFT.

Not that bummed that I can't take a swim, I just don't want to have to worry about drowning in a few inches of water. I keep thinking back to the days of Vice City when you had to drive a boat way up on shore to get out and avoid the foot of water you'd die in if you didn't jump the boat completely out of the water. Not that it sounds like there will be much interaction with water anyway, it's just that games should be as immersive as they can be and to die in a puddle definitely reminds me that I'm just moving pixels around on a screen.

14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm quite glad that RDR is providing some degree of seperation. With how immersive this game sounds I need things like death by puddle and the supernatural ability to absorb bullets to remind me that there is a life outside of the game and to remind me of the essentials, like breathing. :p

I'm not going miss swimming that much at all really, I'll be too busy chasing the iron horse. ;)

15. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I really want to get this game, I've never known of a decent Western video game. Overall it sounds good. It does remind me that I never actually finished GTA4 through. My main concern is that they fix the combat because even in GTA4 it could be very frustrating at times.

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
  17. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    About swimming (taken from another board):

Dear Valued Customer,

First off I would like to extend my thanks for sticking with us during tough times. We know that you, and many others have been waiting for Red Dead Redemption for some time. I can tell you this game is something very remarkable and ground breaking game for Rockstar. Now on to the question at hand you asked if there was swimming implemented into the game. The answer is very much yes!!

I know you probably read articles stating that people who have had hands on with the game had a so called ?Instant Death? soon as they touched water. This was in fact the truth, but only because we had set the coding for the game they played to do just that. If we didn?t have a border limit some where they would have been able to go wherever they wanted to. Although water will not ?Instant Death? kill you in the final build the water that is used as a border will however drown you if you go out to far.

I hope this takes care of any concerns you may have had, and I hope you enjoy the game when it launches 4/27/2010.

Sincerely,
    Dave Stinchcomb

Title
    Game Designer at Rockstar San Diego

Rockstar San Diego
    2200 Faraday Ave
    Suite 200
    Carlsbad CA 92008
    United States

Phone: 760-929-0700
    http://www.rockstarsandiego.com

18. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    [face_dancing] Sweet! Thanks for posting that, DV!

19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's good that the lack of swimming was just an altered bit of coding. I'm still going to be busy chasing the iron horse though.:D

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I agree. I had a feeling it might have just been left out of demo/preview versions, but I was also kind of excited that it would be gone. I know that sounds odd, because swimming is kind of a big deal in an open world game, but I never liked water missions.

21. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    Preordered [face_dancing]

Hurry up April....

Wondering if there will be a special edition. Also, looks like the Deadly Assasin outfit is in the lead...by a lot.

22. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    yes, there's a special edition. As of my last check, it's exclusive to 360 and includes some nice things, including extra weapons and outfits.

23. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    Anything else? I haven't seen any mention of this yet, but if it's DLC that requires XBL and nothing else, I guess I'll just get the regular edition[face_plain] . Getting sick of all the crap GS offers as extras that requires XBL. What a ripoff for anyone who doesn't have it. I'd rather have something tangible any way, like a making of DVD, figurine, item from the game, soundtrack etc.

Also, before anyone asks, I have tried to connect many times since 360's launch, many different ways through 2 ISP's, 2 360's and 3 routers. For some reason, I can not access XBL and am done trying/taking suggestions/wasting money. If Bill Gates wants me to use XBL, he'll put out a first-party, branded, guaranteed to work router specifically made for 360. This should not be that difficult or expensive.:mad:

24. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The last report I read stated it included the following:

25. Extra?s (Downloadable Content)

26. Soundtrack

27. Black Stallion (Horse)

28. Gunpack (More Weapons)

29. Extra outfits

30. Extra minigames for money, outfits and weapons

31. Also, official boxart:

[image=http://media.rockstarwatch.net/news/3796521804.jpg]